Day Hunt Lunch Menu Ideas?

Jburr

FNG
If its realy cold instant oatmeal and dried fruit and a instant hot drink. Hot water from either a Jetboil or my hydroflask other wise nuts fruit and jerky

kevf

FNG
Carbs are key.

Bagel with peanut putter and jam is a good recipe for myself. You want to get some fat, but not too much, get simple carbs, e.g the jam, and the conplex carbs coming from wheat bread to help you last longer.

I found bagel are good backcountry friends as they don't mess around are get crushed in my pack. They come rather hard, so they hold their shape and whatever you put in better.

grfox92

WKR
Snacks;

Nuts and Dried Fruit
Granola bars, good ones, not cheap sugary crap.
Apples.
Peanutbutter.
Summer Sausage or salami.

Breakfast or lunch;

-Instant oat meal
-Cold cereal with protien powder mixed in water as milk.
-Ramen soup, I use the rice noodle ones from the aisain section of the super market as those cheap ones make me feel like crap. I add a can of sardines, not everyone likes them, so a pack of tuna, canned chicken or beef., canned salmon. This makes a great hot meal in the field.

RHD86

FNG
I like the Simple Protein bar, Summer sausage, and a cheese stick. Super simple and light enough to stuff in a side pocket or coat pocket.

Marble

WKR
My lunch go to are the following:

Day hunt it is almost always a sandwich, chips, candy bar, apple, V8 and a nap..

Back packing:
Bobo bar
Green belly
Back packers pantry granola
Hot coffee
Jerky
Honey stinger
Cup of noodles
Trail mix
Sometimes a hot meal.
Rarely a butthole sandwich

My goal is around 700 calories in a sitting, every meal, high in fat and complex/not simple carbs. Total of close to 3000 daily. But I am almost always short and lose nearly a pound a day.

1 gallon of water daily.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
If Im from a vehicle base camp. Why not make some ham and cheese sandwiches...butter the outside wrap in tin foil. mid day break start a fire and have hot ham and cheese (or grilled cheese). My clients while guiding loved this...the other guides hated it because once their clients found out game over.

If you want "cold sandwiches" try an old guide trick...make tortilla sandwiches. meat cheese, lettuce (if your that kind of guy) and a nice cream cheese spread (preferred flavor) in a tortilla. Then you aren't eating a 1/4 thick sandwich at lunch.

Of course this is coming from a guy that mostly goes a whole day on maybe a bottle of water and a couple pieces of Jerky. The suggestions above is just what I saw people get excited about at lunch.

This. Hard to beat these vacuum sealed for lunch. Often it's too much for one sitting and I wind up eating it later if I'm out after dark or save it for the next day.

Toasted blueberry bagel
Crunchy peanut butter 1/4" thick on both halves
Honey drizzled over the PB
Lotsa bacon!

Vacuum seal a bunch a few days before and freeze them, they'll last a couple weeks as long as they don't get left in the sun or get above 70*+.
+1 on the vac seal and freeze method for the b-hole sammies. They do become the consistency of about a 10 year old cliff bar with this method so be prepared to do a lot of chewing. The plus side is they become more packable.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
On multi-day trips (hunting and adventure races) I stole an idea from a guy- on day one I bring a giant burrito. No worries about refrigeration on the first day, it's relatively compact (but heavy) and I often get a lunch and a supper out of it (talking BIG burrito! :)).

We were sitting on a log eating lunch and I grabbed a butt-hole sandwich (one of several packed) and this guy whips out a giant burrito- stuffed with beef, rice, beans, cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc; next year- giant burrito! :D

Wrench

WKR
butthole sandwiches- it's what's for lunch!

jQTVAcI.jpg
Saw this yesterday......this is how I felt after no tag draws....

20210614_073556.jpg

We bring summer sausage, pepper jack cheese, and flour tortillas. Jerky and dried fruit for snacks. Have one buddy that brings a small bio-fuel stove and makes a big ordeal for trail lunches.....I thought it was stupid but it is actually a great way to break up the day and gives you a hot meal to look forward to.

ewade07

WKR
i will make bagel sandwiches and quesadillas before a hunt and vacuum seal em and pop em in the freezer. ive really taken a liking to a parmesan cheese bagel with summer sausage and motz cheese. pop em in the oven for about 10 min to get em all melted. the quesadillas will be soggy after thawing but damn are they good heated up over a fire!

Zappaman

WKR
For 30 years now we ALWAYS make up red or green chile burittos (from last year's meat- venison, elk, oryx, or hog). We cook it up before the hunt (adding a little potato for flavor and carbs) into the stew before we wrap them up. We just grab one in the morning when heading out for the day's hunt. Best "protein" bar we know of anyway ;)

Randle

WKR
I like a bagel with ham and cream cheese. Tillamook cheese ,for something new I tried Korean BBQ pork jerky from Costco . fruit snacks from Costco are really good.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I like to cook up some extra brats at night and pack them cold during the day. I think a cold brat is almost as good as a warm one. Butthole sammiches are always in my pack as well as the tuna and salmon packs. Elk snack sticks and or summer sausage is almost always in if i am planning on being gone all day. I always have an extra Mountain house or peak in my pack as well. You never know when one of them sounds delicious. I also usually hit a gas station or 3 and grab a bunch of different condiment packs. I am like you and HATE a soggy sandwich. It is real easy to separate all the ingredients and then assemble in the field. Tabasco or cholula packs are a must in many of the MH meals.

Finch

WKR
Spam singles drizzled with a packet of hot sauce. Granola with dark chocolate chips.