Day Hunt Packs

dotman

WKR
Maybe give the HPG bag a try. I really like mine and it mounts up perfect to the bikini.

Lawnboi

WKR
I like a little flex in my day pack. For that reason alone I like my spike camp legacy, I would also like a Late season legacy or t3. If you plan on hauling a boat load of weight a frame might be nice. I just got my bikini/hc setup for heavier duty backpacking and weight hauling, and im very very impressed to say the least, but I still think ill be taking my spike camp and a pocket and a pod for incase I need to add meat for weekend trips and scouting.

My spike camp is the most comfortable and streamlined pack iv ever worn with day/weekend gear. That said I do get some lift from the 22in stays, and at 140lbs I cant carry those 150+lb loads those big guys can carry.

I also had a t1, both the t1 and the High camp 4800 I have suck up to almost nothing. Imo it kind of is a pain to dig in if your going in it a lot for smaller stuff though. Theres a lot of extra material packed in. But it does work, and they do get to the size of a day pack. I just prefer a dedicated day pack. These packs truly are 1 pack that can do it all though!

Your internal frame packs will barrel. But the kifaru packs are not nearly as uncomfortable as the eberle when they are stuff full. Most of the time you can get the barreling to go away as well. However a frame would fix all of that.

OP
L
The rest of the pack ;)

Honestly, I know a ton of guys like to use the DT1 compressed down, and it does compress very small. I am not saying you are wrong or wierd or anything. Hell I am probably the wierd one haha...... I just hate that to get to the main pocket when all compressed with day stuff I have to undo and loosen about 8 buckles and wade armpit deep through a massive snow collar.... Just not for me. Besides I have the DT3 anyway so why not use it?

What have you all hauled in your pack?? Elk quarter..deer quarter??? This is way too many decisions...
;

"In" the pack..... nothing, I used the cargo panel last year to help with 2 elk and I sandwitched half my deer between the frame and bag and strapped the rest to outside..... not the best system but it was only a couple miles. Haha. If I do get something way back while I have my DT 1 I will bone it and put it in a contract bag in the bag (as much as I can) then get the rest if I have to with the cargo panel.

I have not used my dt1 much. One time day trip late season last year. I was using it just to try it out since I just got it. I switched back to the DT3 that night just because my cold hands did not like undoing the oragami that is the dt1 squished down for day use. Again.... I only tried it one time and most of the guys here like doing it so take that for what its worth.

Honestly if you had a DT frame, cargo panel, and any of the bags that fit that frame you seem like you would be set. The bag size would just depend on what you thought your odds were of needing Kore capacity for overnight stuff.

Joe

We hunted with the prototype ICON 1850 in September of 2012. We packed out 2 elk with them and they performed perfectly. They handle the weight and are plenty durable. For one of the loads, we used the 1850 without the frame and packed it with boned out meat only (When used without the frame, you cannot use the Load Sling). It again worked great.

The bag material for all of our bags is the Cordura Ripstop and is extremely durable. The bag itself has a capacity of 1850 cubic inches and you can add an additional 2500 cubic inches when in Load Sling mode.
P1020759 (600x800).jpgP1020801 (2) (600x800).jpg

Last edited:

littlebuf

Banned
What have you all hauled in your pack?? Elk quarter..deer quarter??? This is way too many decisions...
;

heres a whole jan cow hide. pretty nice to have a day pack that can handle it. we were hunting from the truck but this was still about 3/4 of a mile or so back to the pick up. I like this pic

Attachments

• IMAG0309.jpg
    IMAG0309.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 147

littlebuf

Banned
first load was two front quarters and back straps

Attachments

• phone 3-4 1071.jpg
    phone 3-4 1071.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 144

littlebuf

Banned
and she wasn't a small cow either. pretty versatile "day pack " if you ask me. had my partner had a T1 we would have had that elk out in one trip, except the hide. but a caped out head,yes

Attachments

• cow 002.jpg
    cow 002.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 100
OP
L
and she wasn't a small cow either. pretty versatile "day pack " if you ask me. had my partner had a T1 we would have had that elk out in one trip, except the hide. but a caped out head,yes
I just told davinjax that i would take that foilage bikini he had listed that was too small for him. now I just have to decide what bag to attach to frame. still undecided on that one.
I hauled a big quarter,backstraps and tenderloins in my "just one" had it strapped down as tight as i could get it and it kept barrelling on me. Granted, I was going up some really steep and i mean steep sidehilling it was also nothing but mud and snow so that might of had something to do with the situation.
But I don't want to go through that again.

littlebuf

Banned
ive packed out elk in eberle and I will never do it again. you will not be disappointed with the kifaru. personally I don't think the T1 is to much bag, but everybody as a different style/need. oh and my buddy reminded me I had 3 quarters in that pack. hind in the bottom and both fronts. those things will get the job done

luke moffat

Super Moderator
ive packed out elk in eberle and I will never do it again. you will not be disappointed with the kifaru. personally I don't think the T1 is to much bag, but everybody as a different style/need. oh and my buddy reminded me I had 3 quarters in that pack. hind in the bottom and both fronts. those things will get the job done

That is a heck of a load LB!!! are they boned out?? I imagine so as 3 quarters off that big ol' girl wouldn't actually fit IN the pack huh?? Sorry I'm elk retarded so hard to grasp the sizing of them things.

slim9300

WKR
That is a heck of a load LB!!! are they boned out?? I imagine so as 3 quarters off that big ol' girl wouldn't actually fit IN the pack huh?? Sorry I'm elk retarded so hard to grasp the sizing of them things.

A really big rocky mountain cow would net about 200 lbs of boned out meat. A typical sized one would give around 150-160 lbs. I have no idea what the entire hide and head would weigh. Maybe 80ish? ;)

Think boned out meat weight, times 3 and you will get a pretty accurate 'on-the-hoof' weight.

littlebuf

Banned
it was bone in quarters. wasn't a real far pack but it was the first real load with my T1. put the back quarter in the bottom then tucked the two fronts in around it.doesnt look like three in the picture but Im a pretty big guy. my partner lifted it on to my back then I sucked it down as tight as it would go. could I do five miles like that not boned out? I don't know, ive done 5 with two quarters and a full cape of a 6x6 with a J104 and that was hell. but the T1 could haul this load and that's what I wanted to see. once I got it up, it actually road pretty good. had a creek crossing that was a little sketchy. I had to make a little jump and ended up a little over my knee in a mud bank, but I didn't go down. gotta love elk hunting

littlebuf

Banned

there not like moose (im a Wasilla boy too by the way), when im talking quarters on this one its cut at the shoulder/hip then knuckled out at the knee. but yeah it was heavy

My "day" pack is the Nimrod "Base Belt" w/ meat straps for hanging qtrs off the back.
Will add the "Pinnacle Bag" for evening hunts where over nighting might be required.
For multi day hunts, I have a WPS frame w/ meat harness I put on it and run the Wilderness Bag up top and Pinnacle down below.
A modular pack works for me. No reason to pack around a big pack when I can leave the frame & large bag in camp.
Hunt'nFish

Nimrod Base Belt w/ meat straps. (3 bear qtrs)

My "day" pack is the Nimrod "Base Belt" w/ meat straps for hanging qtrs off the back.
Will add the "Pinnacle Bag" for evening hunts where over nighting might be required.
For multi day hunts, I have a WPS frame w/ meat harness I put on it and run the Wilderness Bag up top and Pinnacle down below.
A modular pack works for me. No reason to pack around a big pack when I can leave the frame & large bag in camp.
Hunt'nFish

Nimrod Base Belt w/ meat straps. (3 bear qtrs)

dude, you are tougher than me, that looks very uncomfortable