Day Hunt Packs

OP
L
My "day" pack is the Nimrod "Base Belt" w/ meat straps for hanging qtrs off the back.
Will add the "Pinnacle Bag" for evening hunts where over nighting might be required.
For multi day hunts, I have a WPS frame w/ meat harness I put on it and run the Wilderness Bag up top and Pinnacle down below.
A modular pack works for me. No reason to pack around a big pack when I can leave the frame & large bag in camp.
Hunt'nFish

Nimrod Base Belt w/ meat straps. (3 bear qtrs)

i looked at the nimrod packs also. i have a couple of bigger "fanny" packs that I have used in the past. they work fine for shorter excursions. I am mainly looking for something that can haul meat out comfortably. That pack out last year was no fun at all. i also don't want to have to go back to the vehicles to get another pack and then go back again to the animal. i guess i dont want to have to think twice about dropping a big bull 8 miles back in wondering how i will get it out.

At 8 miles, in warm archery season..... no pack will keep meat from spoiling. Even if only two trips you are looking at a minimum of 24 miles, with 16 of those having a giant weight on your back.

OP
L
At 8 miles, in warm archery season..... no pack will keep meat from spoiling. Even if only two trips you are looking at a minimum of 24 miles, with 16 of those having a giant weight on your back.

havent hunted archery in a few years, but I know what you mean...

my hunts change the further i get in to the mountains.... they often start with "any branched bull" right at the truck. By mile 2 I am going "any 6 point bull." By mile 4...320+, by mile 5.... 340+..... by mile 6....350+.....by mile 7.... CALF!!! hahaha

Joe

luke moffat

Super Moderator
there not like moose (im a Wasilla boy too by the way), when im talking quarters on this one its cut at the shoulder/hip then knuckled out at the knee. but yeah it was heavy

Gotcha...still I know they are quite a bit larger than caribou and I know a good sized bull caribou yields around 120-150 pounds of boned out meat in early August. Can't imagine trying to fit 3 quarters of a caribou inside my T1 5200 main bag....but I guess they'll easily fit if your pack is any indication...whether or not I'd want to carry that and my day pack gear very fair is another story as I am but a teeny tiny man. :D Thanks for posting the pics.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That is a heck of a load LB!!! are they boned out?? I imagine so as 3 quarters off that big ol' girl wouldn't actually fit IN the pack huh?? Sorry I'm elk retarded so hard to grasp the sizing of them things.

Hopefully we can work on your elk skills this fall....