Day Hunt Packs

I feel fortunate enough to constantly get into animals fairly close to my camp. We simply leave from camp over a ridge or two and are into animals.
I had a "just one" pack last year and hauling an elk out about killed me. It was barrelling bad no matter how tight i strapped it down. I've decided to get a new pack.

I am confused about which one to get. I like some parts of the MR packs, some parts of Kifaru and some of SG.

I really like the bikini wth the deluxe timberline packs, either 1,2 or 3.

I think the bigger packs might be a little bit overkill, but am really not sure about that.

for you guys/gals that have the bigger packs.....do you use the same pack to hunt with after you drop all your gear at camp? do they compress down enough to not be overkill for a day hunt?

I like the idea of having the option to really pack it full of gear should I need to one day.

I guess it comes down to the question. Is a DT2 or Dt3 overkill? Is there a reason not to get one of those packs?

Thanks for reading my rambling on.

Mike--lostbackpacker--

lostbackpacker,

You run the risk of barrelling with any internal frame pack, not just the "just one" series at Eberlestock. Having said that, the idea of a pack with a rigid frame (either external or internal) that is more than just a set of vertical stays that provides both up and down support and stability and side to side stability and support, is a good one for hauling out heavy weights. Especially if it is coupled with a good waist belt and it fits your torso length.

Most of the big frame packs today have a top lid/fanny pack incorporated into their design that you can use to store your day hunting gear. With this approach you can haul your whole camp into wherever you are going, then drop everything except your day hunting kit in the top lid, compress down the main pack bag, and you have a day pack that you will be able to haul out a load of meat with when you get something on the ground.

As for which size to get, I like many others here, subscribe to the idea that it is better to have the extra space and not need it than have to try and figure out how to get 6000 cubic inches of elk quarter into a 5000 cubic inch pack bag. They all can be strapped down and many will go almost flat against the frame due to their design. So, I would go with the DT1 or DT2 and not bother thinking about the DT3.

Larry

dotman

WKR
The DT1 compresses down smaller then an Eberlestock X2, search out a post littlebuf did on this, he posted up pics.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use Kifaru T2 for my Big pack. Use my Nimrod Pinnacle for Daypack. Works great and its so comfortable that I dont even realize Im wearing a pack. Some reviews of Nimrod on Rokslide. I know Robby Denning is doing a review on the Nimrod System. he has a pack now and will be talking more about it as he tests it out.

He talks a bit about it here: http://www.rokslide.com/easyblog/categories/listings/general More to come on it Im sure. Hes a busy guy. =-)

littlebuf

Banned
lostbp, if I remember right your in Washington. not sure where but id be glad to let you check out my T1 if your interested and we can make it work. I know its tough buying stuff with out ever handling one.

Rizzy

WKR
I use the same pack (KU3700) as a "daypack" and for everything for that matter. When I'm successful I quickly use up all the extra space for hauling meat. The new packs on the market are sleek and compressible and a pleasure to carry regardless of the size.

The whole "day pack" thing is a bit confusing given the the wave of packs on the market. In times past I would always have a frame pack in the truck or base camp for hauling meat because my daypack was to small and couldn't handle the load real well. With the new evolution of packs, I think that style of hunting is quickly becoming obsolete. One pack is capable of everything. The packs you mentioned compress down great, can haul meat comfortably, and have enough volume for your gear.

Personally I would go for the mid size to large bags, depending on what gear you are carrying. If you have a lot of compact gear, the midsize will work. If you have bulkier gear or have to carry more for the type of terrain or hunt your on/in, then go big. The weight difference is minimal, if you are not sure go big, you can grow into it. Having the extra space gives you that option without having to buy another bag.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with a dt3 as day pack and overnight pack. I think it will be perfect for January Arizona hunts;)

cmeier117

WKR
I would think a Bikini with a DT3 bag would be awesome for day trips and you would have the option to carry meat out very comfortably. Those big Kifaru packs pack down smaller than my old Eberlestock.

OP
L
littlebuf,
that would be greatly appreciated. I live in Marysville, (approx 30)miles north of Seattle. Let me know.
thanks
mike--lostbackpacker--

I have high hopes for the Kuiu ICON day pack (http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/01/30/introducing-the-icon-1850/) for two reasons:

1) With internal stays, it can be used with and without the external frame, which ideal for ascents, hikes, quick scouting trips
2) It is light enough to use as an internal storage within a larger pack, e.g. ICON 5000 or 7000, and then re-attach to the frame once you have camp setup (I think SG advertises this approach too)

The load sling concept seems nice in theory too, although I know a lot of Rokslide folks criticized load slings last time I posted on the topic.

ckleeves

WKR
I have high hopes for the Kuiu ICON day pack (http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/01/30/introducing-the-icon-1850/) for two reasons:

1) With internal stays, it can be used with and without the external frame, which ideal for ascents, hikes, quick scouting trips
2) It is light enough to use as an internal storage within a larger pack, e.g. ICON 5000 or 7000, and then re-attach to the frame once you have camp setup (I think SG advertises this approach too)

The load sling concept seems nice in theory too, although I know a lot of Rokslide folks criticized load slings last time I posted on the topic.

Have you handled the 1850? What were your thoughts? I try not to criticize gear that I haven't used extensively but after handling it I just can't see it being very durable at all.

Have you handled the 1850? What were your thoughts? I try not to criticize gear that I haven't used extensively but after handling it I just can't see it being very durable at all.

how does it compare to your avg backpacking pack?
i use a gregory Z40 sometimes and it feels very fragile but has been durable enough so far...

I played with it at the SLC convention, and it feels like the 5000 and 7000 ICONs in fabric and construction. It is very light and compact.

How it will hold up in the field is something only time will tell. I have never come close to breaking a day pack. I have destroyed meat haulers, and don't intend to treat it as such.

I think that the DT3 on a bikina or Duplex frame would be perfect. I can do up to 3 days with mine and great for a day pack. You could also look at a bitter bigger because they do pack down well... for "just in case" you need it. I hate using giant packs for day stuff even if they pack tight you have staraps everywhere and buckles to undo to get into the pack a lot. I have the DT1 and it does compress small, but I hated useing it that way... just me.

THe other consideration would be the "DT4" that I made for my wife. She uses a DT fram with 2 long pockets and a couple belt pouches.... amaizingly light day pack and still has the ability to haul tons of weight... plus you save a bunch of money.

you cant go wrong with the spike camp or regular timberline series either, just depends on how much you think you will use it as a pack frame.

Joe

ckleeves

WKR
That's where I looked at it also. I don't know, maybe it will be fine it just seemed really flimsy. Kinda reminded me of the really early Badlands (10+ years ago) packs and I had one of those and it lasted about 5 days of oakbrush crashing. I thrash daypacks though. It is incredibly light though.

slim9300

WKR
No way IMHO. :) This is my T1 in daypack mode with all my basic stuff for a day in the field. I will never go back to a 'smaller' daypack ever again. Now my partner and I just take them out in one load and call it a day. ;)

8equ7egy.jpg

Hardstalk

WKR
That lil bag is the reason I pulled the trigger on kuiu last week. 350 for the "showroom" frame with adapter kit and icon 3000 bag and 2 hip pouches. Add 100 for the 1850 and im 450 into a very versatile setup. I believe they said that the 1850 also lashes onto the larger bags. You can swap the straps and hip belt on the 2012 frame onto the 1850 if you please. Use it with the frame. Or on a pack. Sold!

Kifaru has the e&e that really had me sold on a ku pack with that e&e as an attachment. But when kuiu told me that the 1850 is utilizing the comfort of the 2012 suspension on the 1850. After much thought I went with kuiu.

OP
L
No way IMHO. :) This is my T1 in daypack mode with all my basic stuff for a day in the field. I will never go back to a 'smaller' daypack ever again. Now my partner and I just take them out in one load and call it a day. ;)

8equ7egy.jpg

wow, that really does compress down. is there anything in the pack at the time the pic was taken?

wow, that really does compress down. is there anything in the pack at the time the pic was taken?

The rest of the pack ;)

Honestly, I know a ton of guys like to use the DT1 compressed down, and it does compress very small. I am not saying you are wrong or wierd or anything. Hell I am probably the wierd one haha...... I just hate that to get to the main pocket when all compressed with day stuff I have to undo and loosen about 8 buckles and wade armpit deep through a massive snow collar.... Just not for me. Besides I have the DT3 anyway so why not use it?

Joe