Day pack for elk, mule deer and treestand hunting

rom828q

FNG
For what you're wanting, I think you'll be hard pressed to spend less than $200. My recommendation would be bite the bullet and buy a Kifaru. We use the 22Mag mostly for a day pack, and maybe a 1-2 night excursion. For anything longer we have since bought the 44Mag. Between those two packs and some of the other accessories (lids/pouches), I feel set for anything 7 days or under. Of course, the cost is definitely greater than $200, but have bought the extra pack and accessories over the course of a few years.

OP
E
For what you're wanting, I think you'll be hard pressed to spend less than $200. My recommendation would be bite the bullet and buy a Kifaru. We use the 22Mag mostly for a day pack, and maybe a 1-2 night excursion. For anything longer we have since bought the 44Mag. Between those two packs and some of the other accessories (lids/pouches), I feel set for anything 7 days or under. Of course, the cost is definitely greater than $200, but have bought the extra pack and accessories over the course of a few years.
Hard to swallow the price but it's likely a buy one cry one deal. If you could only have one kifaru pack which would it be?

rom828q

FNG
Hard to swallow the price but it's likely a buy one cry one deal. If you could only have one kifaru pack which would it be?
Tough to say, as I haven't really looked into any of the new ones recently. But between the 22Mag and 44... I'd probably get the 22Mag, but I also don't many multi night hunts out of my backpack.

Would you ever want a pack bigger than the hellbender?
If I were hunting for more than three days regularly and carrying camp on my back, yes.
For a primarily whitetail pack, no.
Both of them were designed specifically for the Eastern hunter who goes west occasionally.
For a big trip, throw a camp bag in the meat shelf and take off.

Last edited:
OP
E
If I were hunting for more than three days regularly and carrying camp on my back, yes.
For a primarily whitetail pack, no.
Both of them were designed specifically for the Eastern hunter who goes west occasionally.
For a big trip, through a camp bag in the meat shelf and take off.
I just saw that video and now I'm intrigued. That would be one heck of a way to utilize one pack for more uses. Especially since I'm not looking for a 14 day pack or anything like that.

Zerickson

FNG
I’ve had good luck with the MR pop up 28 last year. Packed out a whole whitetail in one trip. Seemed like was right on the edge of what it could handle so looking to get something with a more dedicated frame before going out in search of elk. Anyone have much experience with the Stryker XL? Seems like would be versatile enough to adapt to whatever situation is thrown at it. Might be a little long to have up in the tree though with the full length stays.

OP
E
I’ve had good luck with the MR pop up 28 last year. Packed out a whole whitetail in one trip. Seemed like was right on the edge of what it could handle so looking to get something with a more dedicated frame before going out in search of elk. Anyone have much experience with the Stryker XL? Seems like would be versatile enough to adapt to whatever situation is thrown at it. Might be a little long to have up in the tree though with the full length stays.
Striker xl sure seems awesome man

Striker xl sure seems awesome man

Love mine! Highly recommend. I hang mine on a screw in hook behind my climber.