Day pack for sheep hunting

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure it’s been batted around here since we were carrying clubs, but apparently I’ve got to build some posts before I can contact a member about a pack for sale on this site. Anyways, I’m looking at Kifaru and Stone Glacier. Please recommend what you like and why. I need a pack for day hunts off my horses.

Jimbob

WKR
Hey guys

Lots of pack discussion in the "Backpacks" section, you can spend days in there reading. Also, if you post this question over there I bet you get a lot more discussion.

I imagine you are hunting big horns in Alberta. How long have you been at it? Had some successful harvests? How far do you go in with horses?

OP
T

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
Ah, a “backpack” section. Of course.

Been at it for 5 years. No harvest yet. Come close on 3, but barely legal as squeakers so still looking for my first to take home. I usually go about 4-5 hours on a very fast walking Tennessee Walking Horse. I can’t ride a non-gaited horse anymore. No more trot. t’s been a life changer for me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d get whatever frame fits you the best so you can haul a sheep back to your horse and choose a bag that can hold your rain gear, down jacket, stove, food etc. those stone glacier 1800/2200 would be perfect.

Jimss

WKR
You can't go wrong with SG or Kifaru. I have Kifaru and love it! Easy to customize bags and accessories. I also prefer camo....which SG doesn't offer. It's nice having a super comfortable frame capable of hauling 100+ lb loads. Kifaru also offers quite a few different bag options with your frame

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
a sheep hunt could easily get derailed from a day hunt into an over night hunt, the boys scouts may have filed for bankruptcy but even they know to "always be prepared"
and I favor Kifaru fwiw

ColeyG

WKR
I settled on the Exo Mtn Gear K2 for day hunting where I might have to hump heavy loads of meat out. I’ve used it on a couple of hunts so far and have been very happy with it. It is a very simple bag design with no frills or extra stuff built into the bag. Just what you need. The meat\load shelf works very well and carries the weigh surprisingly well for a relatively compact size.

There are two things that I don’t like about it, and both are relatively minor. The first is the design of the hip belt. It’s looks pretty cheap and poorly designed although it isn’t terribly uncomfortable under a big load. The other is that the side compression straps cross the top of the water bottle pouches on both sides of the main bag, making it hard to get stuff into and out of those pockets at times, especially with the pack on your back.

Overall I’d say 4.75 out of five stars. If only they made it in Optifade...

Jimss

WKR
The comfort of the Kifaru hip belt is what a lot of guys rave about. If I was getting another Kifaru frame I would get the longest frame available that offers the tallest load lifters. I haul a lot of bulk and weight so comfort is pretty important. When my Kifaru is loaded with lighter weights (20 to 30 lbs) I hardly notice a packs on my back! The same daypack with 20 to 30 lbs my shoulders and back would be a bit sore at the end of a day from glassing with a pack plus rifle on my back.

OP
T

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
I like that MR Pintler. I’m gravitating towards a Kifaru 44 mag to use for more than just a daypack now. Apparently I have lots of time to think about it these days....

npm352

WKR
Have a MR Sawtooth45...great daypack. Has carried 3 sheep out so far. There are other great brands...I just like the Mystery Ranch stuff.

OP
T

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of having pockets on the sides for spotter in one and tripod in the other. I like the way that’s done on the Kifaru 44 mag or the gen 1 22 mag.

OP
T

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of having pockets on the sides for spotter in one and tripod in the other. I like the way that’s done on the Kifaru 44 mag or the gen 1 22 mag.
But a new 44 mag with a frame and some of the pockets I’d add on costs as much as the last horse I bought!

Jimss

WKR
If limited in $ and have time to watch take a look at the classified section, craigslist, ebay, etc. I bought my Kifaru plus accessories for around 1/2 price and they were almost new! It's worth the price!