Day pack/meat hauler

Eagle1

FNG
I am looking for recommendation/thoughts on a day pack/meat hauler that might be comfortable for someone with a broken back. I am not ready to give up hunting, but it has become more of a challenge. I haven't figured out how to search to see if this has been discussed already, so I apologize if it has been.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
top write corner you see a search button type in anything you want and it will bring up lots of reading. I use it regularly for my own education on things.
As for a pack there's lots of options. I'm going to be using a Eberlestock main frame and a older pack F2 transformer thats not made anymore. Its designed to zip onto the main frame when not hauling meet.

I have used both a Kuiu with s Ultra 3000 bag (they don’t make that exact bag anymore) and an Eberlestock Just One. I feel packs are a lot about how they fit each person. To answer your question there are a lot of packs out there now with a “load shelf” between he pack and the bag, so you can haul meet and the frames are all pretty good now.

I suspect there are many quality packs that will fit your need. I find the largest amount of gear I carry is during archery elk hunting. I primarily day hunt and about 2000-2400 cubic inches of space gets the job done. If I need to carry extra gear I taco my rain gear between the pack and frame of my Mystery Ranch Pintler pack and I can always add the pack lid. Also be wary of packs that stick up behind your head. Out here in the PNW elk hunting there is lots of looking/glassing up hill. Any pack that got in the way of me looking up would absolutely drive me crazy.

I have said this a few times but harness design and fit should probably dictate your pack choice and more specifically it seems lumbar pad design seems to greatly impact overall comfort. I can't handle much lumbar pressure hence the Mystery Ranch design. Plus I scored a brand new MR pintler optifade for $325. If I was going out on a multiday hunts carrying camp on my back one of the $500+ packs may have been my choice. I specifically was looking for a break away day pack with a load shelf. This load shelf doesn't just have to be for meat either, you could use it to hold your camp if needed.

nksmfamjp

FNG
Have you looked at the Wilderness Pack Specialties Ibex with the Yukon or other frame?

ot their bighorn?

BTW, I have looked, but don’t own one yet.

JohnD116

FNG
I have an exo for my backpacking hunts but for day trips, with packing capability I use a mystery ranch pop up 28 I really like it.

lonedave

WKR
Sorry to hear about your back trouble....that would really suck. Have you spoken to your doctor about packing weight? He may have some input on how to pick up a loaded pack, twisting, etc. You might check for other Roksliders in your area that may be willing to let you try their packs with load to see what fits you best. In your case, dialing in the fit may be even more important than the rest of us.