Day Pack Weight

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For mild weather in archery season going minimal 17lbs before weapon and consumables. Easily 20-22 if we get weather or going less minimal. Also if glassing is on the agenda I’m bringing a tripod, bino adapter and a butt pad/maybe a chair.

Marble

WKR
I dont think I've ever weighed my day pack. If it's in there, I need it. If I go through a season and don't use something, I evaluate if I need it at all.

For a day pack here are my own rules:

Enough water for day and half.
Food for a day and a half.
Bags to handle an elk
Clothing one cold level more than I expected
Extra batteries
Extra headlamp and/or flashlight
Fire starter and lighter in dedicated baggy that stays dry. Both replaced every year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Mt wardens list pretty much mirrors mine. Some of the little duplicates i bring like an extra headlamp.and flashlight is due to poor planning from my hunting partners.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
dkell

dkell

FNG
Thanks to everyone who shared out information. I feel pretty good about what I’ll be bringing to the elk woods this September now. Best of luck to everyone this year!

Randle

WKR
^^ The only reason i weighed mine was because when i pick it up to put it on, I think" man this thing is heavy" but once on my back I dont even think about it because it is so comfortable.
MR pop up with a Kifaru belt is great.

Last edited:

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Don't mean to offend anyone but in my opinion counting ounces and lbs on a day hunt is getting a little bit over the top. You pack the stuff you need and you are good. Different matter on an expedition hunt over 10-14 days. But let's be honest what will 5 lbs +/- do for you over a day.

Randle

WKR
None taken here I pack what I believe i might need and thin out what seems uneccessary.
A saw for instance. I have only needed it a few times when an elk or deer has landed in a tangled mess of brush, could i get by without it , sure but for a few ounces it worth it to my .

SwiftShot

WKR
11 pounds
Kuiu pack
Marsupial bino harness
Vortex 12x50
Range finder
Kill kit
Head lamp
Toilet kit with babywipes
Cook kit with fuel
Sawyer on Smart water bottle empty
Bugle tube and callDoes include holster not pistol.

Marsupial gear bino mount to pack is awesome.

Food not included
Or bow

I went ultra light this year.
Onces are pounds and pounds are pain.

I'm packing about 55+ lbs every day in Alaska, but that's a guide's pack, not a hunter's. Big difference between the two types of packs (guide's versus hunter's) in terms of what does and what doesn't need to be carried on a daily basis.

Down in the Lower-48, I generally carry 45+ lbs every day, counting rifle, two tripods, 20x binos, spotting scope, camera and lenses, outerwear, lunch, couple of quart water bottles, sitting pad, and some miscellaneous stuff. So if you're coming in at less than 30 lbs, you're running light, my friend.

drra

FNG
Seems light for what you are including, it took me awhile to find a daypack that I found that fits compfortably on my back and has the pouches and straps for different situations like attaching poles for the river crossings and loose footing side hills.

wapitibob

WKR
Changed mine up today. Hunting on a bike behind gates and no need for binos so I grabbed a waist pack from REI that has 2 elastic bottle holders that now hold gear. 3#15oz total with kill kit, wipes, head lamp, med/1st aid, calls, rangefinder, and bugle tube holder. Has a cpl little straps on the btm for my morning coat.