Day pack with ability to pack animal out/convert to backcountry backpack

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like my EXO K3. I have the 3200 and 6400 bags for the frame. It is a well thought out and designed bag from a great company ran by awesome people. I use the 3200 without a lid for a daypack and I feel it packs better in this role and is a cleaner than by 36 L Osprey Stratos.

In my opinion, the EXO bags represent the perfect balance between overly complex and overly simple. I'm not a fan of the Velcro connection for the hip belt, but I like the pack and frame enough to get over that.

However, some of it just depends on how the frame fits you. Kifaru and Seek Outside both have bags that can do what you want as well.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
SG 5900 is my answer for this, although for dedicated day trips or warmer temp overnights I’ll throw the Avail on the frame instead and use the meatshelf for overflow if needed.

Not only does my “daypack” pack meat, it packs 10 days or more into the backcountry if I want. Love my Hoodlum and DT1 packs! They both do it all! And do it well!

P Carter

WKR
I have the exo k3 3200 and will echo the above. I use it without a lid as a day pack. If I’m spiking out, I’ll leave the lid in camp with my extra food or whatever. It works great. I think I would need a bigger bag for more than 3-4 days out. And I’ll probably grab the 6400 for backpacking with kids...nothing takes up volume like 3 sleeping bags....

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using the Kifaru 22 mag (gen 1) for probably 5 years now. Works great as a daypack for whitetails like you’re talking about—I’ve packed deer .5-2 miles back to the truck with it the past 4 years. The new version has a meat shelf, which can only help. However, it’s a bit small when I do a 3-4 day backcountry trip. I’ve just ordered the Fulcrum, which I’m hoping will cover everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will throw in a vote for the MR pop up series. I prefer the 38 although I don’t fill it up most day hunts. The sawtooth or mule are also good options for a small pack that can haul.

Looking for ideas. I mostly hunt whitetails in the east from a saddle fairly far from the truck. So looking for a day pack with ability to pack meat out. But also don't want to duplicate a pack for backpack hunting trips. Considering the Kifaru Stryker for the first application with the cargo bag for the backpacking part of it. If you make room with the Kifaru for the cargo bag AND kill an animal...is there still room to haul out the cargo bag AND the meat on the meat shelf? I like that Kifaru has the strap at the top of the smaller bag that I can use to hang the pack from my tree while saddle hunting.

I'm also considering the EXO 3200 and cinch down for day pack use with the ability for a 2 or 3 day backpack (since it is 3200 cu inches). Then if I plan a longer trip....buying either the 4800 or 6400 bag for it.

Any opinions or advice or other brands to consider with those as the main uses?
i think you are on the right path, i think either option would serve you very well.... what's better? that will be personal preference. i will say my K2 3500 cinches down to the size of the frame, i assume the 4800 would shrink pretty small too, and the extra weight isn't enough to worry about (if you go that route)

obviously can't go wrong with kifaru either.

nice thing about those 2 packs (besides the quality and function, and customer service) is if you ever want to go a different direction you can sell them and get most of your money back pretty quick.... those 2 have the best resale and sell the fastest.... especially kifaru... you see one hit the classifieds for almost full retail and it's sold instantly... it's crazy

OP
volunteerconservationist
i think you are on the right path, i think either option would serve you very well.... what's better? that will be personal preference. i will say my K2 3500 cinches down to the size of the frame, i assume the 4800 would shrink pretty small too, and the extra weight isn't enough to worry about (if you go that route)

obviously can't go wrong with kifaru either.

nice thing about those 2 packs (besides the quality and function, and customer service) is if you ever want to go a different direction you can sell them and get most of your money back pretty quick.... those 2 have the best resale and sell the fastest.... especially kifaru... you see one hit the classifieds for almost full retail and it's sold instantly... it's crazy
Thats good to know. Those are the two I'm thinking of. Although I need to do more research on SO and Initial Ascent too. I am leaning towards the Stryker because a hunting pal has that one and I've seen it in person. I would be an 85-90% whitetail day pack hunter. But I am doing all of my research now for a purchase for next hunting season. Is there a "good" time of year to find a deal with these various companies? Like at the end of hunting season?

mcseal2

WKR
My K2 Exo 3500 has worked great for me for just what you describe. The frame flexes laterally and is more comfortable to me as a daypack than my Kifaru. For really big loads I prefer the Kifaru, for 90% of what I do I prefer the Exo. My Kifaru has the 26” tactical frame.

If you could change anything on the pack what would it be? I currently have a Badlands pack and looking to upgrade

bwidrick

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Kuiu carbon frame pack. Running an 1850 bag this year for Whitetail. Also have a 7800 bag for long backcountry hints out West. Packs meat great.

Only thing I might change would be to maybe go to the next larger bag for Whitetail, but the 1850 has been working so far; just been pretty tight with saddle gear and extra clothes some times.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven't already decided.....the Stryker is such an awesome bag for a day pack. Packed out a small doe whole, just strapped it up tight.....that whole grab-it idea make's it so versatile. I hunted all rifle season with the Stryker and loved it.

Brightside

Lil-Rokslider
I ran an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe with batwings and a drybag in Tennessee and Oregon. Good modular option. From dayhunts to multiday it did great. Affordable option thats tuff and never let me down.

Attachments

• 20200830_131623.jpg
    20200830_131623.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201004_161133.jpg
    20201004_161133.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 50
OP
volunteerconservationist
For anyone still watching this post....I bought a Kifaru frame for a good deal. So I'll be buying a kifaru pack. The stryker is a contender still. Most of my hunting will be run n gun style in TN/KY. Not a lot of overnighting. However, I do want the ability to backpack hunt out West with that frame. Since I'm mostly dayhunting....get the stryker and then for backpacking out West....get a cargo bag? Or get a bigger backpack that would handle being cinched down for my majority day hunting for eastern whitetail? I'll figure something out before next season--but any opinions or true experience will help as I sift through information. Thanks,

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Did you see this thread?

I have a reckoning that I got for a good deal (I bought a tactical frame for it) but just recently got a shape charge to use for easy whitetail hunts on private property. After using the shape charge I realized that I really like all of the smaller pockets that are on top of the pack. They make it easy to drop stuff in and still have easy access. Also, I like the access for the main compartment. It is real easy easy to get into if I need something that is sitting on top. I don't have any experience with the 44 mag but if it cinches down real good for day pack use, I would recommend it based on my experience with the shape charge.

prm

WKR
For anyone still watching this post....I bought a Kifaru frame for a good deal. So I'll be buying a kifaru pack. The stryker is a contender still. Most of my hunting will be run n gun style in TN/KY. Not a lot of overnighting. However, I do want the ability to backpack hunt out West with that frame. Since I'm mostly dayhunting....get the stryker and then for backpacking out West....get a cargo bag? Or get a bigger backpack that would handle being cinched down for my majority day hunting for eastern whitetail? I'll figure something out before next season--but any opinions or true experience will help as I sift through information. Thanks,
All you need to add to the Stryker is a 55L dry bag. I’ve used that to pack 5 days of gear for a cold weather hunt in CO. Put camp, food and clothes in the dry bag, whatever you keep with you during the day hunting in the Stryker bag. I attach my sleeping bag to the bottom (Bottom of stryker bag). Once you’ve hiked in, pull out the dry bag, cinch down the 6 straps and you’re ready to hunt. It’s a really nice system.