Day pack with ability to pack animal out/convert to backcountry backpack

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
I agree.....as a former east-coaster who made the annual western pilgrimage this would have been the best option had it been available.

AD338

FNG
If you haven't already decided.....the Stryker is such an awesome bag for a day pack. Packed out a small doe whole, just strapped it up tight.....that whole grab-it idea make's it so versatile. I hunted all rifle season with the Stryker and loved it.
I'm also looking at getting the Kifaru frame but I've been undecided on which pack, but your comment about strapping a whole doe to the Stryker, even if it was small, it's impressive. Was your gear inside the pack smashed really bad when you used the cargo feature of the Stryker?

Xmanjk

FNG
I have multiple packs from badlands and they treat me so well with back support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xmanjk

FNG
Also have the Alpz hybrid x that works well too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilchuck

FNG
Seek outside revolution with Merlin bag, great day set up.
I have the seek as well has plenty of straps to fold up small like a day pack then expands. Also nice having a dry bag compartment for hunting in Washington.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also looking at getting the Kifaru frame but I've been undecided on which pack, but your comment about strapping a whole doe to the Stryker, even if it was small, it's impressive. Was your gear inside the pack smashed really bad when you used the cargo feature of the Stryker?
Found a picture of it; unfortunately I was solo so it's just the pack on the ground but I can assure you it worked perfectly. I was just hunting a small piece of public after work one day so I just had a bunch of extra layers in the pack at the time.

Attachments

• deer on stryker 2.png
    deer on stryker 2.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 30

AD338

FNG
Found a picture of it; unfortunately I was solo so it's just the pack on the ground but I can assure you it worked perfectly. I was just hunting a small piece of public after work one day so I just had a bunch of extra layers in the pack at the time.
What else are you running on that pack? It looks like some large pockets and maybe the guide lid? That's the setup that I want, and same colors. I'm completely impressed with that picture!

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
What else are you running on that pack? It looks like some large pockets and maybe the guide lid? That's the setup that I want, and same colors. I'm completely impressed with that picture!
Not sure why that picture is potato quality but here's some better ones- that's actually just (2) small belt pouches and then i keep 2 sets of compression straps on the frame that I usually just wrap around the pack until I need them.

EDIT- upon further review I seem to be missing a buckle on the right side lol....

Attachments

• Stryker top.jpg
    Stryker top.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 20
  • stryker left.jpg
    stryker left.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 20
  • stryker right 1.jpg
    stryker right 1.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 19

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm not mistaken I moved the compression straps to the 2nd and 3rd positions from the bottom on the duplex frame and criss-crossed them over the deer.....during rifle season the pistol holster is exchanged for a gun bearer.

MR Pop Up 28 is a fantastic little day pack that will also allow you to spend a night (maybe two in early season). It will haul as much meat as you are capable of, though 60# or so would be starting to stress my comfort zone.

The Sawtooth 45 is a bit larger but still makes a great day pack. Built on the Guide Light MT frame, it is capable of hauling much more weight in comfort (relative term). At 64 y/o, I'm not hauling more than 60# unless it's in a pickup. It will also allow you to stay out 3-4 nights. There are also bag only options available in case you need a larger volume option down the road.