Day Six Arrow Build-Q2i Vanes

mww982

WKR
I have a dozen day six arrows en route to me as we speak. Looking for opinions on which Q2i vanes to run. Options I am am between are the 2.1 fusion-ii, 3.0 fusion-ii, or the Griff-X 3.0. I would be going with a 4-fletch configuration as they are all 0.43"-0.45" tall as compared to a more high profile vane. I'm shooting a Mathews V3 (80% let-off), 65lbs (maxed out), 28" draw length, 27.5" arrow, and a 125 grain head (slick trick viper trick, magnus stingers, or QAD exodus). The day six arrows will have the 100 grain insert\collar, so a total of 225 grains up front.

My current setup are Easton Hexx's (330 spine) in a 4 fletch with the Q2i fusion ii 2.1's in a 4 fletch. My field points and the stingers fly right with one another but the slick tricks are shooting high and right.

Bump79

WKR
Here's my .02 cents. Slick Tricks are great flying broadheads so if you're hitting right then you likely have a tuning issue since a 330 spine should tune fine with that point weight.

In my experience if my tune is perfect and arrow is spined correctly vanes weren't much of factor. I tried many different vanes in varying conditions I found that most all grouped well with good broadheads out past 60. The difference for me was durability and noise.

I landed on the Easton Diamond 280. Fantastic adhesion, no memory and quiet.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Here's my .02 cents. Slick Tricks are great flying broadheads so if you're hitting right then you likely have a tuning issue since a 330 spine should tune fine with that point weight.

In my experience if my tune is perfect and arrow is spined correctly vanes weren't much of factor. I tried many different vanes in varying conditions I found that most all grouped well with good broadheads out past 60. The difference for me was durability and noise.

The magnus are hitting with my field points but the slick's were high and left. Just seemed odd to me that the slicks were hitting different.

The magnus are hitting with my field points but the slick's were high and left. Just seemed odd to me that the slicks were hitting different.

I'd tune to the slick tricks then. I highly doubt the magnus will depart, I find them to actually be pretty forgiving.

I don't think you will really find a difference in steering ability between the vanes either, in my experience it's more about height than length. Pick the one you think looks best. If that doesn't work, pick one that is .5 or taller.

Reactions: Zac

L.M._Rog

FNG
I’ve shot both of the Q2i vanes in a 4 fletch 2.1” configuration and my current 3” 3 fletch. Both shot very well no issues with either. I’ve tried both setups with a few different fixed blades, and currently shoot the QAD Exodus. The three fletch is just easier to re-flecth I do believe that making sure your bow is tuned well and any of them will work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I’ve shot both of the Q2i vanes in a 4 fletch 2.1” configuration and my current 3” 3 fletch. Both shot very well no issues with either. I’ve tried both setups with a few different fixed blades, and currently shoot the QAD Exodus. The three fletch is just easier to re-flecth I do believe that making sure your bow is tuned well and any of them will work well.

What 3” vanes are you using now?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
From my experience you don't need a 4-fletch with the 3" Fusion Xii's. In a 3-fletch, they'll hit very close to my 4-fletch 2.1" Xii's out to 80 yards.

i have been tinkering with the 2.1 xiis (.43 tall), 2.1 fusions (.55 tall) and 2.3 griff x (.43) in 3 fletch. I like the griff x as they are quieter in flight and i hunt jumpy deer. poi difference is miniscule. if doing 4 fletch the 2.3s would probably be fine. i use sevr mechnicals so i dont need as much steering. fwiw devin from hamskea said hes had great luck with the 3.0 griff x in 3 fletch with both mechanical and fixed. he was the only person who responded to my thread asking about the griff xs on archery talk. i have some extra 2.1 x-iis or regular 2.1 fusions if you wanted to try i can send 8 ea snail mail no charge if you were interested

OP
M

mww982

WKR
So I got the dozen day six arrows in and fletched them up in several configurations. The arrows are 300 spine, 27" carbon to carbon, 100 grain insert\collar, 125 grain field point. The two that shot the best for me were the Fusion II-2.1 (.55" high) and the Rapt-X-2.1 (.55" high) both in a three fletch with 3 degrees of left helical. I would give a slight edge to the Rapt-X over the Fusions. Will continue to shoot both as they are very close to one another before I fletch up my hunting arrows.

L.M._Rog

FNG
What 3” vanes are you using now?

Sorry just checked in and saw your question. I’m currently using the Q2i Fusion X-II in a 3 degree left helical. They are Length: 3”, Height: .45”, Weight: 9.5 gr. I find they work every bit as well as a 4 fletch. I’ve shot the 2.1” version in a 4 fletch configuration and they shot well, just more work in the long run. Can’t really go wrong with either I just like the simplicity of a 3 fletch.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider

Do you use the Diamond 280 with fixed or mech broadheads? And 3 or 4 fletch? I haven’t tried them but I’m interested.