Day Six arrows

PHo

WKR
I got some Day Six arrows to try out. They spin tested pretty well but after gluing on the outserts I’ve noticed some really bad concentricity, both broadheads and field points don’t spin straight. The broadheads and field points aren’t the problem, they spin completely straight on my Gold Tip Kinetics. Is anyone else who’s shooting Day Six experiencing this problem?

Did you cut them or Day Six cut them? I listened to a podcast today with them and the owner said they will cut and spin them for you. He also said sometimes arrows get shipped out that may not meet the original tolerances that they left the factory with because of the long term curing prices and perhaps handling during shipment from the factory. I suppose they could be contributing factors.

If you cut them, are you comfortable with your construction methods? I’m a little curious to try them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

PHo

WKR
I cut them myself and I make sure to square the ends. The problem are the outserts. I don’t think they seat very well on the shafts. The shafts themselves are ok and most of them in the dozen spin pretty good but I don’t think they spin as straight as the advertised .001 spec. Truth be told I’ve actually bought Gold Tip Hunters and Victory shafts that were each rated at .006 straightness that were straighter than these Day Six arrows. I’m not trying to knock them as they are still a pretty good arrow and I like the way they fly. I’m just curious if anyone else has had the same problem or if I just got a bad batch.

I cut them myself and I make sure to square the ends. The problem are the outserts. I don’t think they seat very well on the shafts. The shafts themselves are ok and most of them in the dozen spin pretty good but I don’t think they spin as straight as the advertised .001 spec. Truth be told I’ve actually bought Gold Tip Hunters and Victory shafts that were each rated at .006 straightness that were straighter than these Day Six arrows. I’m not trying to knock them as they are still a pretty good arrow and I like the way they fly. I’m just curious if anyone else has had the same problem or if I just got a bad batch.

I gathered that they put more emphasis on spine consistency, rather than straightness.

OP
P

PHo

WKR
I think you’re right, the spine is pretty consistent arrow to arrow. Every arrow showed the exact same tear when I shot them through paper. That’s something that I never got with other brands. As far as the outserts go, up until this point I had been using fast setting glue so I didn’t have time to adjust them after mounting them. I did a little more digging and it is recommended that you use epoxy so that you can adjust the outserts to spin perfectly before the adhesive sets.

I got some Day Six arrows to try out. They spin tested pretty well but after gluing on the outserts I’ve noticed some really bad concentricity, both broadheads and field points don’t spin straight. The broadheads and field points aren’t the problem, they spin completely straight on my Gold Tip Kinetics. Is anyone else who’s shooting Day Six experiencing this problem?

I’d recommend contacting Day six, he’s said on a podcast before that he will take care of his customers

Zac

WKR
I experienced something similar, I think over aggressive sanding definitely played a part. I'm not sure how much it matters, like you I got really consistent tears and all of the arrows group really well. I can put all 12 in a spot about the size of a racket ball at 40 with the occasional flyer.

dtrkyman

WKR
Did you dry fit first? Back in the day building afc and beman shafts with outserts dry fitting each one first was important.

Also standing them up nock end down in was important to keep the outsert from shifting and getting glue in the threads.

My experiance with any outsert is dry fit then epoxy. One thing I do that works the best in imo is to stick the nock end into a box or foam to that they are vertical and not touching anything as they dry. I built a dozen of these for a friend and all but 1 spun perfect. The arrow that didnt was because of the arrow itself not ousert.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
How did you test you runout? I thought I had an issue with mine at first but ended up having some bearing issues that were contributing. Either way if you contact them they will take care of you!

OP
P

PHo

WKR
I spin the arrows on an arrow spinner, but I'm not too worried about runout. As I've said before, these arrows are straight enough (not the straightest but straight enough). What's more important to me is the fact that they are probably the most consistently spined arrows I've ever tried, every single one in the dozen shoots identical. It's the outserts that are the problem. I'll take the advice of dry fitting and then using epoxy and see how well that goes. If I can get the outserts seated correctly and the broadheads spin perfectly then I'll be a happy man.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I have the .250 spine arrows. Shot them with Fobs and German Kinetic 125 XLs. Fly perfectly with field points out to 70 yards which is as far as I shot. Would definitely recommend them

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
Did you spin the arrows when the epoxy was fresh and you could still turn the outsert on the shaft? I would say at this point the insert epoxy is set and there isn't much you could do. Have you tried nock tuning yet to see if it changes the tear at all?

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend everyone to order just shalves and do the work yourself. I had day six cut and glue inserts and of the dozen i orderd only 1 spun true. Prior to having shot any one of the outserts had come loose (no big deal as i can now reglue it and the arrow spins true with the outsert oriented correctly). I took 5 to the indoor range and on the third set of shots I lost an insert in the target. I will say that they seem pretty durable as I managed to hit a nock pretty square with another arrow and it deflected without cracking the back of the shaft.

Are these arrows the bee's knees cats ass or what? I'm about to buy a whole new setup and stuck between these and victory vap tko's

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
Are these arrows the bee's knees cats ass or what? I'm about to buy a whole new setup and stuck between these and victory vap tko's

I think it’s all based on what you want your total setup to end up finishing at in my mind. I’m impressed by the durability of these shafts, I haven’t shot VAPs in a few years but I don’t think they’ll finish as heavy as these if that’s what you’re after.

I would recommend everyone to order just shalves and do the work yourself. I had day six cut and glue inserts and of the dozen i orderd only 1 spun true. Prior to having shot any one of the outserts had come loose (no big deal as i can now reglue it and the arrow spins true with the outsert oriented correctly). I took 5 to the indoor range and on the third set of shots I lost an insert in the target. I will say that they seem pretty durable as I managed to hit a nock pretty square with another arrow and it deflected without cracking the back of the shaft.

That’s piss poor if the manufacturer can’t even install the components they make correct. I don’t see why everyone is all worked up over these arrows, I think if kifarucast wasn’t pushing them no one would have heard of them

Vaps are tried and true, to many negative opinions on day six. If Aron Snyder wasn’t pushing them would you even consider them? I heard he’s got some skin in the game as far as the company as a whole.

OP
P

PHo

WKR
Full disclosure, I only bought these arrows because of Aron Snyder and Kifarucast. That said these arrows aren’t too bad, they are more consistent in spine than any other arrows I’ve tried.