Day six broadheads

I'm right there with you! I can't wait to see what they come out with. I'm hoping for something that resembles the design of an Iron will, (2 blade with bleeders) but at a better price point, and it sounds like one of their designs may just fit that bill.

If their broad heads are anything like their arrows, durability should be fantastic also.

dkime

WKR
Looks like the should fly extremely well. Nonventing will be quiet as all get out. The S30V is a fantastic blade steel, most of my knives are wearing that material, and won't have the corrosion issues associated with A2 D2 type materials. I've seen a lot of edge chipping from the larger carbide deposits found in tool steels, but with CPM steels the carbide granules are much more homogenous and less prone to flaking away. Time will tell, hopefully the price is right, $120 3 packs are a tough pill to swallow.

nphunter

WKR
Looks like an unvented Solid Legend, the Solids are great heads that fly like darts. Those look like they will be very comparable without the skeletonized blade they should defiantly be more durable.

I agree, looks a lot like a solid legend with those slightly curved blades, and bleeders pushed forward. Can't wait to get my hands on some. Looks like an Iron will solid and solid legend hybrid! Where does S30V match up when compared to the A2 as far as hardness/brittle etc? Any idea on the blade thickness on these?

KHNC

WKR
Is this the same Day Six that makes the plotwatcher? Out of Georgia?

dkime

WKR
I agree, looks a lot like a solid legend with those slightly curved blades, and bleeders pushed forward. Can't wait to get my hands on some. Looks like an Iron will solid and solid legend hybrid! Where does S30V match up when compared to the A2 as far as hardness/brittle etc? Any idea on the blade thickness on these?

This is really tough without us knowing exactly what sort of Heat Treat and tempering that companies are doing. If were talking apples to apples then S30V is going to win each time plus it’s running 14% chromium so it’s a true stainless steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

See chart:

dkime

WKR

Thanks Bill! I’ve worked for a few knife makers though and always found the charts super confusing, I never understood why there was ever any consistent data available. We used Crucibles material chart as a quick reference when picking out materials in the past as we always tried to purchase blanks through them. I’ve attached that, maybe you can help bring some clarity to where the discrepancies lie, I’m assuming it all is in the Hardening and Tempering?

b20a98e72c36a0549c2d50f4f2295687.jpg

Thanks Bill! I’ve worked for a few knife makers though and always found the charts super confusing, I never understood why there was ever any consistent data available. We used Crucibles material chart as a quick reference when picking out materials in the past as we always tried to purchase blanks through them. I’ve attached that, maybe you can help bring some clarity to where the discrepancies lie, I’m assuming it all is in the Hardening and Tempering?

b20a98e72c36a0549c2d50f4f2295687.jpg

I'm the wrong kind of engineer, so take this with a grain of salt, but it looks like none of the measurements in the table you posted measure the same thing as the ones in the table that bill posted. What you are calling discrepancies, I think it's more accurate to call trade-offs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
I'm the wrong kind of engineer, so take this with a grain of salt, but it looks like none of the measurements in the table you posted measure the same thing as the ones in the table that bill posted. What you are calling discrepancies, I think it's more accurate to call trade-offs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I see where you’re coming from, that was a quick chart I grabbed but doesn’t necessarily quantify anything. No real description of what the numbers mean. The purveyors of Blade forums and what not go back and forth about this stuff all day long lol

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
dkime, the chart you show doesn't have impact toughness, which is critical for a broadhead. Also, we would need to know hardness levels for it to be more useful. I spent years as a tooling engineer working on technology development. The problem with stainless steels, including SV30, is that you can't achieve both high hardness and high impact strength, due to the high chromium content. You can with A2 tool steel with the right heat treat process. That's why metal stamping dies and punches are made of A2 and S7 tool steels and not stainless steels. In my opinion, S30V is a great knife steel (thick blades with low impact), but A2 is a much better broadhead steel.

dkime

WKR
Totally see what you’re saying, of course that chromium comes in handy when I run my pocket knife through the washing machine too! Lol I can stand when I’m carrying a rusty knife! I guess we’re all just speculating at this point, until we know what Day Six is doing for heat treat it kind of feels like apples and oranges. But it’s always fun to give everyone something to talk about!

HookUp

WKR
Looks like a modern day robin hood head. I will buy some for testing.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll probably end up ordering some to test out. One draw is having 1 1/4 and 1 1/16 option just by switching out the blades but staying at the same weight head.