Day Six - must spin?

Vandy321

WKR
Ordered a half dozen day six arrows to try out. Got 50gr inserts/outserts.

Messaged them and was told spinning the arrow and rotating the collar wasn't req'd to get them true...but all the install videos I see online say its crucial to spin them.

Would have just got the IW collars and regular inserts if was going to have to spend an extra $40 on a arrow spinner.

Those who own these...spinning a necessity for true flight?

Fullfan

WKR
I tried the IW collars, could not get my arrows to spin w out a wobble. Arrows spin fine with out them. Sent them back.

dkime

WKR

Messaged them and was told spinning the arrow and rotating the collar wasn't req'd to get them true...but all the install videos I see online say its crucial to spin them.

Would have just got the IW collars and regular inserts if was going to have to spend an extra $40 on a arrow spinner.

Not crucial, the benefit to the centric system is it doubles up on tolerance between the collar and the center pin. By marrying the two together via the threads on the centric insert you’re keeping the collar in line with the inside diameter of the shaft which is the most tightly controlled part of the shaft. When you take into consideration the length of the sleeve/centerpin/OD Slip fit/ ID slip fit, you mitigate the angular deviation the system can have on the shaft. I just spin the inserts as I’m installing to spread the glue evenly, let them cure, then go kill things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would want to spin and find the best alignment with any components if your are looking for the best flight possible. I mean this is small part of overall arrow flight but if you do everything almost right or just good enough it will compound at 60+ yards and diminish penetration the worse your arrow flight is. Buy the spinner.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
You're complaining about spinning your shafts, and having to buy a 20 dollar Pine Ridge Arrow Spinner? Why don't you just buy prefletched crap and have the shop throw your components together.

Was i complaining or was i simply saying the information provided from the manufacturer doesn't line up with what I'm seeing from shops posting videos of the install.

While I appreciate your concern, and the willingness to spend my money, paying $150 for 6 arrows and a spinner is not my intent, thus the question on if spinning is necessary. I was perfectly happy with a dozen easton axis fletched from black ovis last year for sub $150, never spun a one, shot sub archers MOA out to 60, pretty good for "crap pre-fletched, un-spun arrows" if you ask me. Was underspined a bit and did make it tougher to BH tune, so I went to 350s and wanted to try Day Six for the added durability at a similar price.

We dont all need to spend $200+ on a dozen arrows, jig, etc to convince ourselves we can shoot.

Attachments

• 20200427_134836.jpg
    20200427_134836.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

My interpretation is someone who is spending that much on an arrow probably wants them to be right and thus will want to spin them. That isn't exclusive to day 6.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, a lot of regular arrows or HIT insert arrows can spin quite well (or not), but as soon as you start adding halfouts, outserts, collars, etc......I wouldn't build them without a spinner. IMO they're mostly more trouble than they're worth. I'll take a good straight arrow with consistent spine specs and a HIT insert any day of the week over all that other stuff.

Zac

WKR
Was i complaining or was i simply saying the information provided from the manufacturer doesn't line up with what I'm seeing from shops posting videos of the install.

While I appreciate your concern, and the willingness to spend my money, paying $150 for 6 arrows and a spinner is not my intent, thus the question on if spinning is necessary. I was perfectly happy with a dozen easton axis fletched from black ovis last year for sub $150, never spun a one, shot sub archers MOA out to 60, pretty good for "crap pre-fletched, un-spun arrows" if you ask me. Was underspined a bit and did make it tougher to BH tune, so I went to 350s and wanted to try Day Six for the added durability at a similar price.

We dont all need to spend $200+ on a dozen arrows, jig, etc to convince ourselves we can shoot.
Every single person on here that builds arrows has an arrow spinner. Spinning your shaft is as fundamental as gluing on a vane. There isn't a carbon shaft on the market you don't have to spin.

bsnedeker

WKR
Every single person on here that builds arrows has an arrow spinner. Spinning your shaft is as fundamental as gluing on a vane. There isn't a carbon shaft on the market you don't have to spin.
I had an arrow spinner before I ever built an arrow. You need to see if your broad heads are spinning true regardless of whether you built them or not. This thread is.... interesting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
This thread is a waste. Spinning shafts takes seconds, and the price of a spinner is 4 cups of Starbucks. There is no free lunch when it comes to building tight tolerance. Especially when you decide to play with micro diameters.

bignocks

FNG
No matter the arrow once you have made the commitment to really dive down on accuracy a spinner is a pretty standard tool for anyone going down that path. Like day 6 said Im sure it isnt necessary but not all broadheads are created equal either. I would suggest getting one to make sure you final arrow/ broadhead combo is spinning true. Good luck.

Reactions: Zac
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
This thread is a waste. Spinning shafts takes seconds, and the price of a spinner is 4 cups of Starbucks. There is no free lunch when it comes to building tight tolerance. Especially when you decide to play with micro diameters.
Why would i need to spin arrows, if they group, they group, if they don't, time to investigate. I've seen folks at the range with $2k bows, $200 custom arrows, yada yada, they still couldn't hit a 3D turkey at 30 yards let alone group 6" at 60, but they sure would tell me all about fetching and helical and FOC and blah blah. everyone's an expert...especially Zac the Starbucks fan.

Posted to get some opinions, strangley the first post answered the question in a more believable and scientific way then anyone else, especially you..but I'm sure the bro science of having a fraction of a millimeter of a spin imbalance will throw my groups off much worse than any of the actual human error or environmentals that comes from shooting arrows. Thanks for stopping by and offering your valuable insights on such a waste of a thread.

Last edited:

Chad E

WKR
Why would i need to spin arrows, if they group, they group, if they don't, time to investigate. I've seen folks at the range with $2k bows, $200 custom arrows, yada yada, they still couldn't hit a 3D turkey at 30 yards let alone group 6" at 60, but they sure would tell me all about fetching and helical and FOC and blah blah. everyone's an expert...especially Zac the Starbucks fan.

Posted to get some opinions, strangley the first post answered the question in a more believable and scientific way then anyone else, especially you..but I'm sure the bro science of having a fraction of a millimeter of a spin imbalance will throw my groups off much worse than any of the actual human error or environmentals that comes from shooting arrows. Thanks for stopping by and offering your valuable insights on such a waste of a thread.
You've obviously got it figured out so probably just keep on keeping on with your method. You asked a question got more or less a 100% concensus on the answer and you apparently don't like it so you got combative. Why ask questions if this is how you react to the answers given?

Personally I fall in the camp of thinking an arrow spinner is required equipment and spinning your arrows is 100% neccessary regardless of make model or components.

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

So why did you come asking about spinning arrows to just turn around and say I shoot better then everyone else??????

If you dont want to spin the damn things dont spin them. Not hurting anyone here.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
So why did you come asking about spinning arrows to just turn around and say I shoot better then everyone else??????

If you dont want to spin the damn things dont spin them. Not hurting anyone here.
Did you not read where I said I got the answer i needed in the first reply to this thread. Not bro science, just good data about why spinning these outserts isn't req'd.

Now its just entertaining watching you get spun up over it.

Keep preaching to the choir my friend...gotta love the echo chamber here sometimes.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Did you not read where I said I got the answer i needed in the first reply to this thread. Not bro science, just good data about why spinning these outserts isn't req'd.

Now its just entertaining watching you get spun up over it.

Keep preaching to the choir my friend...gotta love the echo chamber here sometimes.

Cool your right. Spinning is stupid and anyone who does it is a moron. Glue those things in and you will be golden.