Day Six or Black Eagle Rampage

johnvan74

FNG
Looking to get some new arrows. I'm looking at Day Six four fletch with the 100Gr Centric system or Black Eagle Rampage with FOCOS 100Gr. Both would be 300 spine and my current arrows are 29.5". Just looking for recommendations or any issues people had with either.

Norm555

WKR
I've really liked my Day Six arrows. No experience with Black Eagle arrows but I'm sure they're also a solid choice.

I have both. Shoot day six with trad set up. They are extremely durable arrow. Thicker walled and heavier GPI arrow, so lower FOC, slightly slower arrow, but better weight and quieter at the shot. Rampages are the most accurate arrows I’ve shot, but they are a fair amount less durable, lighter GPI, better FOC. Kinda depends what you are doing with them. I wouldn’t consider flinging any rampages at 3D targets at unknown ranges with trad, I would miss some and I’m sure I would snap an arrow occasionally. I fling my day six arrows all over the place without any concern and have yet to break/damage one (nock On wood lol).

OP
johnvan74

johnvan74

FNG
I have both. Shoot day six with trad set up. They are extremely durable arrow. Thicker walled and heavier GPI arrow, so lower FOC, slightly slower arrow, but better weight and quieter at the shot. Rampages are the most accurate arrows I’ve shot, but they are a fair amount less durable, lighter GPI, better FOC. Kinda depends what you are doing with them. I wouldn’t consider flinging any rampages at 3D targets at unknown ranges with trad, I would miss some and I’m sure I would snap an arrow occasionally. I fling my day six arrows all over the place without any concern and have yet to break/damage one (nock On wood lol).
I have an elk hunt with Bitterroot Mountain Outfitters in September and that would be the main propose. I'm sure both will deal with Wisconsin white tail.

Zac

WKR
I have also shot both and experienced the same as this post. I would say base your decision off of what you want your total arrow weight to be. Really easy to get exact weight you want with the Rampage. The Day6 may end up heavier than you want. If you choose the BE, you may want to look at the Ironwill component system. The Focus system is supposed to be a very good one as well.

Day 6 shafts are basically in line with black eagle deep impacts and not really comparable to Rampage. One is a micro and one is a .204 shaft and with 29.5" of carbon you're talking about an arrow weight difference of over 73.75 grains. I'd choose based on desired arrow weight.

OP
johnvan74

johnvan74

FNG
I have also shot both and experienced the same as this post. I would say base your decision off of what you want your total arrow weight to be. Really easy to get exact weight you want with the Rampage. The Day6 may end up heavier than you want. If you choose the BE, you may want to look at the Ironwill component system. The Focus system is supposed to be a very good one as well.
The main purpose is for elk. Which arrow did you like better? Did you shoot the BE with both the Iron Will and FOCOS?

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used/have both and the Day Six is the better of the 2 in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the black eagle. In my experience the Day Six is more durable. If you look at the shafts themselves the Day Six has a much thicker wall and this helps with the durability of the arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
The main purpose is for elk. Which arrow did you like better? Did you shoot the BE with both the Iron Will and FOCOS?
No I shot the garbage BE halfouts. I use the Ironwill components now on Axis. How do you feel about FOC? This may clear up your decision. You are gonna be able to load up the front of the BE easier. I remember watching Born and Raised Outdoors a few years ago and it did seem like alot of Rampages were breaking. However I think they were getting scissored off by the front shoulder due to an incomplete passthrough. I think the front end of your shaft is going to be more important than what piece of carbon you use. If you tip either of those with a Day 6, or an Ironwill you will have excellent results.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
The day six arrows are quite durable, I've only blown up one. lol

2blade

WKR
I have some Rampages and have yet to break one with the half outs installed. They penetrate 3/4" plywood quite well. I am not familiar with Day 6.

Zac

WKR
What was the driving force between these 2 shafts. Maybe if I can understand your deductive reasoning I could point you in the right direction. It seems when most people are on the fence they are dealing with similar arrows. Micros, 204s, etc. The reason this is a difficult choice is because you chose two entirely different shaft types.

dkime

WKR
I have a set of Day Six 300s cut you a length right around yours, last season I ran a single shaft and one of their broadheads through 8 animals, (touching the blade up On a strop in between obviously) I’ve been blown away with how good of job they’ve done and how durable the outserts have proven to be.

Reactions: Zac
OP
johnvan74

johnvan74

FNG
What was the driving force between these 2 shafts. Maybe if I can understand your deductive reasoning I could point you in the right direction. It seems when most people are on the fence they are dealing with similar arrows. Micros, 204s, etc. The reason this is a difficult choice is because you chose two entirely different shaft types.
I currently shoot Victory VAP TKOs (.236 OD) and they are not flying as well as my older Maxim Red or GT Hunters which are standard size. I do love how strong they are and I love the penetration on the smaller shafts. Both the BE (.264 OD) and DS (.253 OD) are smaller shaft arrows but not micro.

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I know people have mixed feelings in rampage shafts but I've never had anything but positive results. In fact just got set form.my new bow. Wanted a arrow over 15 foc and right at 500 grains finished with a 250 spine sometimes it's hard to get those numbers with other shafts

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shot the rampage arrows for quite awhile switched to day six last year really like them both those 2 and Easton axis are what I recommend to people who ask only switched to day six for more weight without having to fool around with adding it all to the front bought my dad a dozen of the rampage for his new bow

Zac

WKR
I currently shoot Victory VAP TKOs (.236 OD) and they are not flying as well as my older Maxim Red or GT Hunters which are standard size. I do love how strong they are and I love the penetration on the smaller shafts. Both the BE (.264 OD) and DS (.253 OD) are smaller shaft arrows but not micro.
Yeah I shot VAPS as well. Not sure I trust the spine alignment thing. I think Easton Axis is a more consistent shaft than all of them. Easton has a different system of putting carbon together versus the standard wrap and roll system. I think most arrow manufacturing is done in the same plant by the same people. The machine Easton uses seems to produce the most consistent spines across the board. You can always nock tune if you want to use other arrows, and that is just fine. But I believe the Axis is the easiest and most fail safe system on the market. If you pair them with Ironwill components they also become some of the most durable.

OP
johnvan74

johnvan74

FNG
BE Rampages with FOCOS ordered today. I’m going to try 3 with 4 AAE max stealth and 3 with 3 AAE hunters. Shoot them and decide which shoot better and get the rest done that way. Thanks for all of the advice.