Daypack / Meat haul with some pockets

DBarr

FNG
Trying to narrow down the new pack search. I especially like the reviews on the frame and belt features on the Mystery Ranch packs for hauling meat. Thinking Sawtooth or Popup38 At this point.
But, it seems that there aren’t many pockets for gear organization like what i am used to on my Alps or Badlands packs. Anybody have a suggestion on that? I’m guessing that more pockets equates to greater pack material weight and maybe thats why they are lacking in these higher end packs? I would like to stay in the 5 to 5,5 pound pack range.
This pack would be 100% day hunt pack with the ability to help pack meat out comfortably and safely (50 to 60 pound max load due to my back issues). Thanks guys

JES

FNG
Take a look at the latest version of the 22 Mag by Kifaru. I have this pack and bought it for the same purpose you are looking for. I haven’t hunted it yet, but will this week. I should be in the field now for a Newfoundland moose hunt but delayed due to weather. Hopefully get out today.

I’m using their 22” frame, but only because I wanted to use this as a carry on bag, I will likely get a 24” frame later.

I search around for a day pack meat hauler For a few seasons - MR crew cab, Kifaru 40L bags including woodsman, MR pinter & sawtooth, MR pop up.

I landed on the pop up 38 (had a 28 but it filled up quick when I pack layers). It is a great pack and the one i recomend if someone isn’t looking for a full size frame. The sawtooth and pintler offer good alternatives but the frame is noticeably more bulky in day pack mode.

OP
D

DBarr

FNG
I search around for a day pack meat hauler For a few seasons - MR crew cab, Kifaru 40L bags including woodsman, MR pinter & sawtooth, MR pop up.

I landed on the pop up 38 (had a 28 but it filled up quick when I pack layers). It is a great pack and the one i recomend if someone isn’t looking for a full size frame. The sawtooth and pintler offer good alternatives but the frame is noticeably more bulky in day pack mode.
Thanks DJ. How about pockets / gear storage? Does the 38 have some designated storage?

It and a dual chamber lid And a hydration pouc pocket inside. It also has a shove it stash pocket outside and two water bottle pockets at the bottom.

Since you say it's to be a 100% daypack, I'd highly recommend the Pop Up 28. It's a great little size that's built like a tank, and 50-60# is no problem at all. I also have a Sawtooth 45, and that same 50-60 is a bit more comfortable on the Guide Light MT frame. For organization, you could go with a few different colored zoid bags in either of these packs, though the Sawtooth does have a few mesh internal pockets and sleeves, plus the 270* U zipper, for terrific access to items anywhere in the bag without having to pull a bunch of stuff out.

Last edited:
I’ve been using the kifaru 26” tactical frame with a reckoning bag. This is great for long term hunts but I was looking for a better set up for daytime/meathauling. I’ve ordered the 24” light frame with the Stryker xl. I’ll post when I get it and give it a run. I wanted to stick with the framed kifaru packs as I am very satisfied at how good the pack feels with heavy weight.

If you can find an MR crew cab, you’ll be set. I have used this for the past ten years or so as a daypack with meat hauling ability.

Grease

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Sawtooth, but have been looking real close at the SO Peregrine too. its a tough decision. Good luck with your search.

I’ve got the MR Pintler. More pockets than I need for organization on the interior. Added pouches to the hip belt for quick access. Guide lite MT frame is great once you figure out the adjustments. I’d pick the sawtooth over the popup based on the frame and ability to switch bags

I struggled with this exact question of day pack with meat hauler. I wore a Nimrod pack as a day pack for years but I was mostly rifle hunting and it did the job but was not very comfy but tough as nails. I gave the Kifaru a long hard look but I was able to get a new Mystery Ranch Pintler for just a touch more than the Kifaru pack alone. If money was no option it would have been the Kuiu 2300 Pro and had I wanted a pack to do a few days overnight and pack meat several miles it would have been the Kuiu.
Now I used this Mystery Ranch Pintler for all of my elk hunting archery season. It holds all of the gear I need and some I don't for a long day hunt. Only issue is how the hydration tube exits the top of the pack. It allows water into the pack...I know because I tested it in the shower. I am a bit smaller at 5'8 so a pack frame that was small and narrow was important as all of my archery elk hunting is in the PNW coast range. I need to be able to look up while hunting and didn't want the top of the pack frame to interfere with my head movement. If I was completely honest I would like a 2500 cubic inch bag. For Archery the temp diff between morning and afternoon is significant enough to require layers being stuffed into the pack along with rain gear. For my fall hunts I rarely need to pull off layers other than hat and gloves and vent my jacket and or pants. I did incorporate a meat hauler from another pack system onto the Guide Lite frame to reduce the stress of securing loads with the actual pack straps. A neat little trick is you can slide your Montana Decoys between the pack and the frame for easy access with the pack on by leaving one of the lower buckles disconnected on the Mystery Ranch pack. Another thing I've realized is that I often end up carrying more than I need and a larger pack just exacerbates this issue.

Last edited:

Venom One

WKR
I have the Pop Up 28. I have no complaints about the frame/suspension/meat hauling setup, but the bag itself leaves me very underwhelmed. The only entry into the main bag is thru the top and the opening is small, especially when the top pocket is full of gear. You pretty much have to unload the whole thing to get to something near the bottom. I see the Pop Up 38 has a side zip so that's an improvement. I'm looking for the same thing as you and I've narrowed it down to the Pintler and Kuiu Pro 2300/3600.

Jimss

WKR
Back when I was researching packs (many years ago) the Mystery Ranch line were super heavy for the volume of load. They were bullet=proof packs but just to heavy. I imagine they have updated materials since that time?

You can't go wrong with either Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I picked Kifaru because SG didn't come in camo. I've found out that it is a lot easier on my back and shoulders with a pack that is capable of hauling extreme loads rather than a daypack that is only designed for 20 to 40 lb loads. I can also haul out an entire deer, antelope, etc with my first load....rather than having to return to haul out the remainder of an animal.

Once you have a Kifaru frame you have the choice of a bunch of different bags, accessories, etc. The materials on the bags are super tough and wear like iron. Almost everyone that has Kifaru is sold on how comfortable they are. In fact, when I have a 30ish lb load on my back I hardly even notice I have a load. Scouting and hunting with a small daypack with the same 30 lbs I'd have a sore neck and back at the end of the first day.

I have the Pop Up 28. I have no complaints about the frame/suspension/meat hauling setup, but the bag itself leaves me very underwhelmed. The only entry into the main bag is thru the top and the opening is small, especially when the top pocket is full of gear. You pretty much have to unload the whole thing to get to something near the bottom. I see the Pop Up 38 has a side zip so that's an improvement. I'm looking for the same thing as you and I've narrowed it down to the Pintler and Kuiu Pro 2300/3600.
One thing I did was to take my rain paints and fold them in such a way that no rain could get into the pants. I put them between the pack and the frame to save some internal bag space with the Pintler bag. Here in Oregon you need heavier rain gear or it just gets tore up. Heavier generally equals more space.

Excellent point about the Pop up 28, having a small opening on top and having to empty the pack basically to get anything towards the bottom. That would really irritate me, especially in the rain here in the PNW. Had thunder and lightening and being able to quickly unzip and grab rain gear in the bottom of the pack was nice.

OP
D

DBarr

FNG
Thank you all for the responses. I ordered a Sawtooth 45 and a Popup 38. Played with them for a couple of days but found right away that the Sawtooth is the right fit. The belt and suspension felt much better and the internal zippered mesh pockets will help. Returned the 38.
I also bought 2 forager hip pouches for quick access items. Bought a daypack lid, but i dont think that I’ll need that and it might change the overall weight and balance of the pack. This is a very comfortable pack.
Ready for the real test. We are 80mph westbound at mile #256 on i80, headed for nw Colorado. Would love to show a picture of a full meat shelf being packed out this coming week. Thanks again guys!