Daypack questions

I know a lot of questions get asked already about this pack or that. I have my boots on the way and I'm not looking for a pack. I will be doing day hunts this fall for elk. I don't need a pack to carry camp, etc., but do need something that can haul meat if successful. Packs are really tough for me to decide because I have no frame of reference on frame type packs. I also have a limited budget for a pack. I have roughly 250 to spend on a decent pack that will get the job done, but of course if I can find something even cheaper, thats great too as I also have a bunch of other things to buy for this trip. In my research, I know that kifaru, SG, MR, etc are top shelf but I don't think I want to spend quite that much yet. Not until I know or not if I get the elk bug.

I just need a decent pack that won't make me miserable hunting or even worse if I do have to pack out meat. I'm perfectly content with a pack that does good for this year, but I know i'll be upgrading in the future for something better when I decide i'm going to make this a yearly thing.

Anyone point me in the right direction? I'd gladly buy used for the right deal. If anyone has a decent used pack in my price range or lower, by all means let me know.

qwerksc

WKR
look at used backpacking or rock climbing packs. an old Dana Bomb pack, I have had one for 25 years.

I used a badlands 2200 for a while before I made the transition into another pack. Was around your price range and made a good day pack with capabilities of packing out meat, I will say though once it was bumping into 60+ pounds of meat it became mighty uncomfortable. Still got the job done though till I could upgrade down the road.

CB1

FNG
I bought an Eberlestock just one for around that price. I have not hauled meat with it but the pack compresses well enough for a day trip but can expand out to a much larger one to carry gear or meat. You may be able to find one used in your range.

Geewhiz

WKR
There is an ad in the classifieds that I saw today for a guy selling a MR mule. Look into that. Its a sweet setup. I have a MR frame with a metcalf bag and also a mule bag. The mule is perfect for day trips and it also has a meat shelf to haul more weight than you can carry. That would be my recommendation. That way if you decide to get a larger bag in the future you can use the same frame.

Drenalin

WKR
Used MR sounds like a good way to go. If you're a veteran or first responder, there are some steep discounts available on new MR stuff too.

JGTWI

WKR
I’d look for a used MR Pintler.

Or, I bought one new last year for Just above you budget while it was on sale with a discount code. You may be able to find something similar if you can wait it out.

JGTWI

WKR
I’d look for a used MR Pintler.

Or, I bought one new last year for Just above you budget while it was on sale with a discount code. You may be able to find something similar if you can wait it out.

I also have an Eberlestock X2 and think it is a really nice daypack; I love the layout and organization. I would not want to haul a heavy load with it though.

There’s a Kifaru Spike Camp with cargo hauler in the classifieds right now that would work well and it’s around your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR fanboy here. I use a pop up 38 for what you describe but I would look at a full size frame for future upgrades. a few thoughts:

- older Dana designs or MR internal frame pack like a bridger or terraplane is a lot of bag. Find a closet queen on eBay for $100 aNd you will do well.
- mr nice frame or older guidelight with a pintler or cabinet. You can upgrade the bag as well
- pop up older versions are cheaper. Hauls an occasional load of meat fine
- newer guidelight mt is great. You may find a sale on a pintler or sawtooth for $325 if you get lucky

I just recently upgraded from a Slumberjack Bounty 2.0 to a mystery ranch metcalf. If interested in the slumberjack let me know. Its just hanging on a hook in my guest room right now. It may be a bit big for a daypack however.