Daypack recommendations...

Howdy! I'm looking for a pack that I can use for my day-to-day work / excursions. I'll mostly be using the pack for travel to and from work, hiking, and an occasional shed hunt / hunt trip. I already have a heavy duty pack I use for hauling (Barney's) that I'm quite fond of but need something svelter for everything else.

ZDR

WKR
Take a look at the Kiafru 14'r. Carrys upwards of 35-40 lbs well and collapses down easily w/ smaller loads.

z

NoWiser

WKR
You're a lot taller than I am so I'm not sure how it would fit you, but I like my Stone Glacier Avail for what you are talking about. I use it for everything from a diaper bag for the baby, to a squirrel/turkey hunting pack, to a carry-on and beach fishing pack on our family vacations.

OP
H
Yeah, sorry if the topic has been done to death. My buddy said this site is for the gear nerds so I should be able to find some good recommendations. The crux of my situation is my height and finding a pack that fits well.

The stone glacier avail and the Kifaru Hooligan were the ones I was looking at. Guess I need to add the 14'r.

Attachments

• 36863517_10104638902943303_9196468481971716096_o.jpg
    36863517_10104638902943303_9196468481971716096_o.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 96
You're a lot taller than I am so I'm not sure how it would fit you, but I like my Stone Glacier Avail for what you are talking about. I use it for everything from a diaper bag for the baby, to a squirrel/turkey hunting pack, to a carry-on and beach fishing pack on our family vacations.
Second this. I'm short, but I also know my boss runs it and is 6'2" with no problems. They have quite a bit of adjustability.

Mystery ranch has some good options. I use a 2DAP for what you are describing. It looks a bit “tacticool” but it passes for EDC and is tough Eno for the field.

*zap*

WKR
For an everyday bag to throw in the vehicle it is hard to beat a Camelbak 3day pack, fairly inexpensive on ebay used. Older motherload or bfm would be good choices. Lifetime any owner warranty.
I have hiked with 45# in my motherload (non frame, internal frame sheet) with no issues at all.

ChrisF

FNG
Hill People Gear make a variety of nice packs. I'm partial to the Aston House Backcountry as a very versatile daypack. (The capture flap really extends its capability as a utility pack for shed hunting, for example.) Their shoulder harness is easily adjustable to meet torso length.

archp625

WKR
I have the Mystery Ranch Mule. I really like this day pack and its real comfortable. Whats also nice is it has the guide lite frame so you can pack out meat as well. If you want to go a little bigger the Pintler would fit your need.

Lawnboi

WKR
14r is a great option if you need a day pack that will support some weight. 23” stays make for a decently capable pack if you plan on putting weight in it.
Haven’t used much else, cause the above just works.

pc3

WKR
The Hooligan is significantly cheaper than the 14r, but still looks very capable ......is the frame systym on the 14r more sophisitcated ? it looks that way.

swwifty

FNG
I actually use a Goruck GR0 backpack for EDC and it works well for hikes and other purposes, but it's also hard to go wrong with a older Kifaru Express IMO :)

Lawnboi

WKR
The Hooligan is significantly cheaper than the 14r, but still looks very capable ......is the frame systym on the 14r more sophisitcated ? it looks that way.

looks like the hooligans runs 18” stays. 14r runs 23” and has a lumbar pad. I can comfortably haul 40 pounds in my 14 like I would with my frame packs, without the bulk or stiffness of a frame. It’s a great pack that is slim, moves with you, and has decent organization. Mine is used constantly for fishing, any other outdoor work, and as a range bag. I could even squeeze a few summer days out of it with a couple pockets on the outside

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I'm tall also, not as tall as you... I just run my Kifaru 26" frame that I know fits me perfect. Throw the 22 Mag on it for short trips and the Ma Deuce on for long trips. Takes 2 minutes to swap packs.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to understand why people don't just use a larger pack and condense it down. I purchased an Exo 5500 this year and it was my first pack from a major pack manufacturer. I honestly only have interest in another pack to compare fit/comfort.

This 5500 packs down so well, I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a day hunt or a 10 day hunt. I get that some smaller packs may weigh slightly less, but I figure I could take a pound or two off my stomach before I worry about a couple ounces on my pack. And on a day pack,