Daypack recommendations...

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I'd like to understand why people don't just use a larger pack and condense it down. I purchased an Exo 5500 this year and it was my first pack from a major pack manufacturer. I honestly only have interest in another pack to compare fit/comfort.

This 5500 packs down so well, I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a day hunt or a 10 day hunt. I get that some smaller packs may weigh slightly less, but I figure I could take a pound or two off my stomach before I worry about a couple ounces on my pack. And on a day pack,

This will be my first season with dedicated packs and not compressing down a multi-day pack. It worked fine for me over the years it’s just not ideal for what I have planned over the next few years.

If you can afford dedicated packs for long and short trips it’s a much better system in my opinion.

Reactions: pc3

pc3

WKR
Just unboxed my Shapecharge, I see why Aron recommends it so much for a daypack.

The 14r does not seem to be as popular, and that surprises me a little.

Out of Kifaru's day pack options it seems the shape charge is peoples favorite I wonder if it because it opens up fully.

rcb2000

WKR
The 14r does not seem to be as popular, and that surprises me a little.

Out of Kifaru's day pack options it seems the shape charge is peoples favorite I wonder if it because it opens up fully.
For me it was the size, the Shapecharge is the perfect work day trip, tree stand, day hike size. Once you get up to 40 liters its a little too big for the tree in my opinion

Reactions: pc3

oldhorse

WKR
I recently switched from a Shape Charge back to a 14'r. I loved the clamshell opening and organization of the Shape Charge, but I didn't care for the suspension. I was using it out in the field (scouting, hiking). I find the 14'r suspension more comfortable with heavier weight. If you're going to use the Shape Charge a lot for EDC it should work well. Also, the Shape Charge doesn't have a hose port for a water reservoir . I was using it with a belt and nalgene bottle holders, so it wasn't an issue for me. At one time or another, I have owned almost every day pack mentioned in this thread. They are all solid choices, it's just comes down to how much money you want to spend.
I hope I haven't muddied the water for you!
Good luck on your search.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out the kuiu packs pretty solid and well thought out just enough room29D617EE-AFB4-4433-B11F-A7E6996D33E7.jpeg for day hunts3FF1DE6D-C167-4108-999C-765C0B358F8A.jpeg

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Kuiu icon pro 3200... the frame system they have is really comfortable and sturdy... the 3200 gives you plenty of carrying ability without felling like you’re lugging around a suitcase... I’m 6’01, 200lbs... fits great

OP
H
I hate all of you for muddying up the waters :LOL:. I ended up getting the KUIU venture 2300 since I had a coupon and I couldn't find a Kifaru or Stone Glacier in the classifieds. So far I like it even though it's warmer on my back than my other pack.

TravisIN

WKR
I just got a kifaru urban ruck. I use it for everyday carry. I go to the gym before work and then work a 12 hr shift. So in the morning it usually has a socks, underwear,thermal base layer,pants, belt, t shirt, long sleeve work shirt, and a heavy hoody, then some of my food for the day, keys, wallet, deodorant, shampoo, headphones case, nalgene, and a small battery pack and cord. It seems like a lot but the bag handles it great. And having the drawstring top vs a zipper makes it so much better than my last zippered bag. Which was just a cheap Hoyt backpack. It honestly has a lot of room left and plenty of pocket options for organization too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Camelbak Rubicon for the gym and a Camelbak mother load for an every day pack is how I roll. Med stuff is in a Camelbak BFM.
I use a Camelbak Mule for inside the gym bag with a holster in the admin pocket for the handgun.

IMG_5375.JPGIMG_5374.JPG

Last edited:

300m

FNG
I use a MR Scree. The pack is available in a large size and has an adjustable internal frame sheet that allows for a somewhat custom fit. I like the removable hip belt as they can get in the way when in the saddle.

pirogue

WKR
For me it was the size, the Shapecharge is the perfect work day trip, tree stand, day hike size. Once you get up to 40 liters its a little too big for the tree in my opinion
How is the Shape Charge perfect for a tree stand, if it doesn’t have a handle? And therefore, doesn’t seem like it would hang snugly to the tree.

rcb2000

WKR
Has multiple ways to hang, very easy. Will try to post pics when back from traveling.
How is the Shape Charge perfect for a tree stand, if it doesn’t have a handle? And therefore, doesn’t seem like it would hang snugly to the tree.

Tshug

FNG
I have a 14'r for sale if anyone is interested. Love it but my son is at the age to go with me so I'm getting him a bigger frame and bigger kifaru pack. Back to the post.... The 14'r is a great pack for pretty much everything except for multi day hunts. Just a lil bit too small.

Mawgie

FNG
A little late, but my Stone Glacier Avail has been great for me. Really well built.