Daypack without belt

RAPTOR

WKR
Personally I don’t want a pack with belt that will be throw away, pockets that have to be cut off. Or even worse buy more staff to add on (bottles pockets/comp straps etc.) and turning 300$ daypack into 500$ daypack.
I hear you. But a lot of the packs mentioned have removable belts. I wouldn't discount a pack just because you're going to throw the belt away. It's harder to find a good pack without a hip belt than it is to find one with a removable one. I don't like a belt on my daypack either. I don't need it for quick hikes, fishing, air travel, walking around on vacation, etc. So i've always just removed them.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
HPG Umlindi works very well for me when I don’t need a belt.

Very comfortable shoulder harness system and plenty of room for day trips.

Actually carried out a small, boned out whitetail without too much issue.

It’s the first pack I’ve had that gets year round use.

I bought an Elberlestock Bandit that seems similar to what you’re looking for, though I haven’t used it much yet.

With 2 and 4 year old boys, I needed something to carry enough water, snacks, and rain jackets for everybody but I didn’t want a large pack as I often end up carrying a kid at some point also. I figured it would do double duty for an overnight on the mountain bike where I don’t want anything hanging out to get snagged.

No hip belt included but you can add one later if you want. Personally, I don’t need to for weight bearing, but would prefer even a piece of 1” nylon webbing the keep the load close to my back. I did like the fact that it comes in navy, grey, etc, as I’m not a fan of “tacticool“ gear for daily use.

It has a horseshoe zip, hydration bladder sleeve, separate upper pouch, and a few little organizer panels inside, two water bottle pockets, and a compression panel on the back. I think it would work pretty well for shed hunting, you could even zip tie them to the laser cut molle so you don’t have to worry about them working loose.

Stumpy208

FNG
I got my oldest kid an eberlestock mini me.
It has a hip belt that's just 1 inch webbing that tucks away in a hidden side pocket. The thing that I think is the best about it is the built in upland bag that's tucked up into a pocket until you want it. That would be useful for stuffing sheds into. Also a bonus that it comes with a pretty good water bladder.

Reactions: CAH

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
My HPG Umlindi pack gets double duty use. Without belt for fast and light trips. Put the belt on for more serious loads when more weight or pockets needed. I really like the Umlindi pack belt less when riding my mtn. bike and needing to carry extra gear over what my HPG Tarahumara can hold.

N.ID7803

WKR
The majority of a load is supposed to ride on your hips, hence why packs have hip belts. Why would you want to carry all the weight on your shoulders? Not sure where you're at but, you start picking up a few elk sheds and that pack gets heavy quick, and you will wish it wasn't on your shoulders.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
do you guys think I am foolish to not want a hip belt? I have an exo 3500 for hauling. Just want something for shed hunting and edc. I see the stone glacier day packs all have belts… can those be removed and used as a stand alone pack?
If you are planning on actually finding sheds, especially elk sheds, you will want a hip belt. Friend of mine was with me one time when we got into a bunch of sheds. He packed his out on a small daypack with no hip belt and he was hurting big time when we were done.

OP
C

CAH

FNG
I pick mostly mule deer sheds, I have an exo 3500 for when I think I will be in elk sheds. Mostly looking for a short little whitetail/mule deer shed hunt and for gear in and out of the truck to work.

Jimss

WKR
I hardly know my Kifaru pack is on my back with a light load and the belt is so comfortable I wouldn't ever even consider not using it. I scout with the Kifaru frame without a whole lot of weight and boy is it nice! I think you'll find that a pack without a padded belt with a 20 to 30 lb load feels mighty heavy on your back and shoulders if you are hiking far in rough terrain. The same 20 to 30 lb load with a padded Kifaru pack with padded belt will feel like a light load. Your shoulders, back, and body will thank you if you overkill with a large framed pack rather than use a daypack without no belt. The weight of the new Kifaru framed packs and bags is mighty light. The weight savings isn't much and your body will definitely feel the difference if you are out hiking many miles hauling many antlers for many days without a belt.

PackAK

FNG
Curious on thoughts for a nice daypack without a belt. I want something light and fast for shed hunting but also have the compression straps to strap antlers on. I dont think I want a hip belt though, is this a bad thought?

Thanks!
I love my Kifaru doorgunner, haven’t used it for shed hunting but fishing it works wonders for and day trips scouting!

Jbxl20

WKR
The Kuiu Ventures are on sale for the next couple days.
I just ordered a 2300 yesterday. I was looking at getting a smaller bag for my EXO but with the sale price at kuiu I figured I would just try out a whole pack for less money than a bag. Hopefully it arrives soon. I have trip coming up the end of the month to Florida and I would like to have it for the plane

Agustus

FNG
I'll echo what solo06 mentioned about he 14'r....

Very easy to remove the hip belt and the 14'r is a very light pack for it's size. I cut out one of the interior pockets to allow for more room without it getting in the way but kept the other for any needed organization. (just burn the edges to keep from fraying).

Very good pack that I substitute when not needing a larger pack or frame. I use mine for early archery season when saddle hunting for whitetails. I don't need all the space it has but for the weight of the pack, it's there in case I do.

When temps drop and I'll be carrying more of a load, I shift to the stryker xl on a frame for ease of carrying heavier weights longer distances.

14'r is a great pack that doesn't get enough attention I feel.

OP
C

CAH

FNG
I ended up ordering the shapecharge with the sherman pocket. This lead time is gonna kill me waiting!!

Geardo

FNG
The HPG AHBC is the most comfortable pack I have ever used without a hip belt, in large part due to there load spreading harness.

It also has the benefit of adding a hip belt if the load increases.

The laser cut capture flap seems like it would be super useful for securing antlers but I might be off base on that. You could always add or swap compression straps to it.

A little heavy with a frame sheet and stays but even without a hip belt it drives some of the load into your lumbar.

I sold mine and miss it frequently.

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up ordering the shapecharge with the sherman pocket. This lead time is gonna kill me waiting!!
I think you will be happy with this setup. I use a shape charge and sherman for a lot of my shed hunting. Perfect size for a day pack and has great organization.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CAH