Daypack

Looking for a recommendation on a daypack for an elk hunt that can also be utilized as a meat hauler and haul an elk quarter out. Been considering the badlands 2200 as it compacts well but seems to be sturdy enough for smaller loads. What does everyone else use or recommend?

Blake343

FNG
I run an EXO 5500 all year just for the simplicity of using one pack. It cinches down very nicely as a day pack and has the capability to haul serious loads when needed. The new K3 3500 would be even better.

azn9879

FNG
I use a kuiu 3200 or 1850 I got of eBay used. A little expensive but it’s worked great for me.

oldhorse

WKR
A Kifaru frame and the Nomad bag are an extremely versatile system. It can also get fairly expensive, especially when you start adding the various accessories that are available

fatlander

WKR
I really like my nomad 2 and grabit on the tactical frame. I’ve got a large dry bag that I can use for camp if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Badlands 2200 and it works great as a daypack and for light loads. It is not the meat hauler my Kifaru is, but its not as expensive either. They are really apples and oranges. The Kifaru is an external frame pack and the 2200 is an internal frame pack. The 2200 works great for a day pack and small loads of meat. I used mine to take out the first small load of meat and then came back with a pack frame for the larger loads.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
Anything can be used for day hunts and hauling meat. What is going to do it the most comfortable way is the question I would ask myself(and others).

Internal frame packs and any that do not carry the heavy load tight and right in the middle of your back will not be comfortable. They will work, but it’s gonna hurt.

I hauled out meat with an internal frame pack and then went back with an external frame to get the rest. Night and day difference.

Decide your top priority and then decide from there on packs. I think they should be bought and used just like you would any other tool. I can use a flat headed screw driver for a pry bar, but an actual pry bar will pry better. I can use my prybar for a hammer, but an actual hammer will hammer better. The list goes on and on.

I think there is a reason why there are a few big names in hunting packs, and good reason they are expensive. They are purpose built and work great.

I’ve spent a lot of money over the years on my rifles. Some I get are fairly inexpensive, but by the time you add a scope and ammo your up there at about the cost of one of the high dollar packs.

You’ll shoot your rifle most likely for a total of less than an hour(actual time behind the scope and pulling the trigger) on a hunt. However, unless you luck out opening morning, your gonna be spending a whole lot more time with a pack on your back than an hour. Makes sense to not skimp on something your actually going to use a lot.

I used to run an eberlestock x2 as my day pack/first load out then back in with a frame pack. noticeable difference between a daypack and a dedicated meat hauler when there's weight added, but it's nice being able to save some miles.

I would get a MR pop up 28 or 18
100% agree... you brought that pack to my attention last year, and it's such a genius design for a day pack... it's the PERFECT roosie hunting pack hanging out in the thick stuff with no frame sticking up hanging up on everything... and it's a legit meat hauler. I have had mine loaded heavy a few times now.

last year packing my bull, I didn't even switch to my main hauling frame for the rest of the job... decided to work the pop up a little and was impressed... still am.

I wouldn't consider the badlands myself. I had one I picked up cheap and it's far from a good hauler. I didn't even like it as a steelhead fishing pack.

MR makes bomb proof packs, and the pop ups are so well designed

Trial153

WKR
The pop up is joy to carry in day pack mode with its shorten height. I am lending my dad mine for our moose hunt in few weeks, other wise I would be using it myself.

Another vote for the MR Pop-Up system. I have the MR Pop-up 28. I have a pretty small frame so I wanted something that is low profile for crawling through the woods. I unfortunately didn't get to load up any game quarters last year, but i did lots of pack training up to 50lbs and it did well. You can easily add a stuff sack for extra/cold weather gear, kill kit, etc.

Ebby

WKR
Kifaru Tarryall is fantastic for this. Holds 3200cc easily and will carry 60-70lbs on the frame with carbon composite stays. I love mine for this exact reason. I can get a first load out and then go back with a bigger frame if needed. Weight for the pack is about 4lbs but its super comfy to carry and well organized in my opinion.

Lee

I have the Badlands 2200 and it works great as a daypack and for light loads. It is not the meat hauler my Kifaru is, but its not as expensive either. They are really apples and oranges. The Kifaru is an external frame pack and the 2200 is an internal frame pack. The 2200 works great for a day pack and small loads of meat. I used mine to take out the first small load of meat and then came back with a pack frame for the larger loads.
I agree with this. Two of my hunting buddies in the past 3 years have used the 2200 as their day pack, and in one case hauled an elk hind quarter back to the truck, but he was suffering. He admitted that the next time he would have just a small load of meat back and then grabbed a freighter frame for the rest of the pack out.

I am using a Eberlestock Dragonfly as my day pack, and have an external frame load hauler in the truck at all times for hauling meat. Worked great for me last season for day trips up to 6 miles and 2K vertical feet. There were times I forget I was wearing it.

well_known_rokslider

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the kifaru woodsman. Very comfortable full day pack and surprised my buddy how well it carried an elk hind quarter compared to his aluminum frame meat carrier. You won't be disappointed!