DCA custom arrows

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone ordered arrows from DCA custom arrows?

He popped up on Instagram a while back and I’ve heard a few podcasts he was on lately. I know a lot of guys fletch their own but his technique seems pretty thorough.

I've used DCA arrows and they are good quality. I've done my own and ordered from Haymonds Archery, he spine aligns the shafts and fletches them with left helical. Still using those arrows after 4 years or so. I don't recall DCA custom specifically though. Maybe that is direct from Deer Crossing Archery?

Edit: ok so that's a different service so disregard everything I said above and I know nothing about DCA custom.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Spiegel

FNG
I should be receiving arrows from him sometime this week so I can't speak on the arrows just yet but he's been great to work with. Great communication over the phone and txt and has been very helpful.

I just finished a awesome trip to Africa with Kyle’s arrows. He is a true professional. DCA set them up perfect for me. I would recommend him to anyone that asks. His attention to detail is amazing, I have never seen a fletch job done so meticulous, not one drop of glue showing.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
This is an old thread, but I'm going to update it for those looking at ordering from DCA Custom Arrows.

I had a terrible experience with them. Inserts and fletching coming out/off like crazy. I ordered two dozen arrows, which were over $400 to build, and that's after I provided the bare shafts to them at my cost. I'm a long time arrow builder (for personal use) and was looking for a quality arrow builder to save me some time in a pinch. The arrows I got are awful, like some kid in the back of a Wal-Mart built them with Elmer's glue while he was stoned kind of awful.

I will say that Kyle, the guy who owns the company refunded me the build cost and was apologetic for the mistakes. BUT, I am still out two dozen high-end shafts I provided to him and a ton of time.

I hate to post negative things about good people (which I think Kyle is a good person) but the arrows I got from him were some of the worst I've ever shot. I'll never have DCA build another arrow for me.

Consider yourselves warned.

Riplip

WKR
I sent him several email order requests and followed up with a call, no responses. His website and and arrows are cool, but nothing you cannot get from somewhere else or that you can build yourself.
I have had excellent service from South Shore Archery. They will build custom arrows with almost limitless options. Very quick turnaround and communication.

Zac

WKR
No way would I pay for arrows someone fletches with a Bitz. Really what Kyle specializes in is a very asthetically pleasing appearance.

Zac

WKR
Curious about your Bitz comment. Care to elaborate?
Sure, Bitz doesn't even space the vanes the same distance from each other. 118, 120, and 122 degrees. Plus everyone has one. Why are you gonna pay some premium price and wait a bunch of time for something like this.

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
This is an old thread, but I'm going to update it for those looking at ordering from DCA Custom Arrows.

I had a terrible experience with them. Inserts and fletching coming out/off like crazy. I ordered two dozen arrows, which were over $400 to build, and that's after I provided the bare shafts to them at my cost. I'm a long time arrow builder (for personal use) and was looking for a quality arrow builder to save me some time in a pinch. The arrows I got are awful, like some kid in the back of a Wal-Mart built them with Elmer's glue while he was stoned kind of awful.

I will say that Kyle, the guy who owns the company refunded me the build cost and was apologetic for the mistakes. BUT, I am still out two dozen high-end shafts I provided to him and a ton of time.

I hate to post negative things about good people (which I think Kyle is a good person) but the arrows I got from him were some of the worst I've ever shot. I'll never have DCA build another arrow for me.

Consider yourselves warned.
Same here. Seemed like a good guy and very knowledgeable. That being said I had three arrows have vanes randomly fly off while target shooting. I sent them back and he re fletched the three arrows but I have zero faith in them. I bought these to hunt with and cant trust them, so I will have to re fletch. Guess I should have built my own to begin with. Kyle said he uses locktite for an adhesive. Not sure which one but its junk. Lesson learned.

Btaylor

WKR
Sure, Bitz doesn't even space the vanes the same distance from each other. 118, 120, and 122 degrees. Plus everyone has one. Why are you gonna pay some premium price and wait a bunch of time for something like this.
Interesting. Cant say I can ever recall anyone not recommending Bitz and certainly have never heard that complaint about them. Appreciate the clarification.

SaltyUte

Lil-Rokslider
I bought half a dozen over a year ago to see what the hype was about. They were good arrows and grouped well but I can build similar arrows at a fraction of the cost.
Not a bitzenbruger fan and have used the LCA jig the past four years.

Last edited:

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Why can't you reuse the shafts?
They were inserted with CA and not hot melt. I don't physically break permanent inserts out and then re-insert shafts...you can compromise the structural integrity of the shaft that way. Plus, you don't get very good adhesion with the new inserts because it's difficult to get all of the old debris/residue out of the shaft.

I had issues with inserts coming out and vanes coming off...on over half of the arrows so far.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Same here. Seemed like a good guy and very knowledgeable. That being said I had three arrows have vanes randomly fly off while target shooting. I sent them back and he re fletched the three arrows but I have zero faith in them. I bought these to hunt with and cant trust them, so I will have to re fletch. Guess I should have built my own to begin with. Kyle said he uses locktite for an adhesive. Not sure which one but its junk. Lesson learned.
That's exactly what he told me also about the Loctite.

I use a primer pen regardless of the vane type and Bob Smith Industries Maxi-Cure for the adhesive and my vanes never come off. Like literally never.

Zac

WKR
Interesting. Cant say I can ever recall anyone not recommending Bitz and certainly have never heard that complaint about them. Appreciate the clarification.
Bitz is a really old design. It was specifically made for a certain nock style that accounts for the screwed up offset patterns. This is the entire reason that the Zenith, and now the AAE upgraded indexers have come to fruition. I think with those upgrades it would be fine. If you try to use a standard Bitz jig with something like a Firenock Aerovane it will send it into orbit. Most people using 3 fletch with very slight offset or helical will probably never notice it.

wayoh22

WKR
Bitz is a really old design. It was specifically made for a certain nock style that accounts for the screwed up offset patterns. This is the entire reason that the Zenith, and now the AAE upgraded indexers have come to fruition. I think with those upgrades it would be fine. If you try to use a standard Bitz jig with something like a Firenock Aerovane it will send it into orbit. Most people using 3 fletch with very slight offset or helical will probably never notice it.
I honestly had no idea this is a thing. I've always used my bitz and haven't had any problems. Tried the zenith upgrade but the nock receiver didn't fit into my axis shafts at the time. Called them up and they sent me a new one but ended up having the same problem so went back to the stock receiver.

Bitz isn't as accurate as the high end fletchers.

I haven't been able to tell a difference with it. Tried all kinds of stuff and I still think bitz is the best thing out there for 99% of the fletching jobs.

Even the aero-vanes can be fletched with a bitz, just need to put a small piece of square stock on the bottom of the clamp. At least that's how you used to fletch them, maybe they changed the design now.