DCUA map?

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
So I managed to draw the early delta hunt DS203. This was my first year thinking i wanted to go sheep hunting and my first year putting in for a sheep tag and only 3rd year in Alaska. Needless to say I’m already feeling some pressure not wanting to eat this tag!
I already contacted couple pilots and i am thinking of flying into the only airstrip allowed but also thinking of doing a walk in. So I’m looking for any good map resources detailing the old mining roads and atv trail system.
If anyone is feeling generous please pm me.

Flojoe

FNG
Google Earth, Gaia, and the ADFG website we’re great resources for me.

Good luck!

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
All I can say is if Jim recommends it, worth listening. That man knows the countryside around there for sure.

A portion of the trail system and the road are visible on google earth to give a good idea, Been in there a few times for moose and wife/buddy’s sheep permits during late season. The trail system is better than busting brush in a lot of areas, but also super soggy in many spots.

OP
Firemedic710

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
All I can say is if Jim recommends it, worth listening. That man knows the countryside around there for sure.

A portion of the trail system and the road are visible on google earth to give a good idea, Been in there a few times for moose and wife/buddy’s sheep permits during late season. The trail system is better than busting brush in a lot of areas, but also super soggy in many spots.
Thanks between Gaia and google earth I’m getting a good idea what it looks like. I just wasn’t sure if there was a actual trail map of the system that the state or Blm puts out for other areas.

Not a chance I'd spend the money to fly in. I hiked in from the road last year on two separate hunts and we saw a ton of rams, & zero other people. Find a head of a drainage (glacier) and hike to it... there will be rams there. Best of luck on your hunt, it's a seriously awesome permit and you can do it on the cheap if you can hike.

Alot of good country back there, but I would emphasize doing your scouting. I had the tag two years ago and scouted several good areas. Saw about 15 legal rams and took one that I was really happy with.

I would echo not needing to fly in, with the caveat that you do your scouting. The general rule of thumb for this hunt is the further you hike away from the road system the more sheep you will find.

OP
Firemedic710

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
Alot of good country back there, but I would emphasize doing your scouting. I had the tag two years ago and scouted several good areas. Saw about 15 legal rams and took one that I was really happy with.

I would echo not needing to fly in, with the caveat that you do your scouting. The general rule of thumb for this hunt is the further you hike away from the road system the more sheep you will find.
That’s what I’m afraid of! My wife is military and I play daddy day care to a 2 and a 4 year old. My scouting these days has turned into a ride on the side by side and stopping to glass until the kids start yelling to go again.

LivinGood

FNG
No need to fly in for this tag. Plenty of good spots can be had by hiking from the road 6-10 miles, about the same you'd end up hiking after flying in to the few strips. Another option is to use that SxS and take some gear back into one of the long haul areas (Gerstle River/July creek & 33 mile loop) prior to the Aug 5th cutoff for the CUA and hike in light the following week. Great tag with lots of options!