DE 343 Etolin Island Elk

AKhunter6

FNG
After years of applying for many draw permits, I finally got my first draw tag and what will probably the most difficult of them all. I ended up with the late October hunt, I planned on taking my boat and hiking in and staying as long as I can. From what others say you want to still get high, find open areas and do lots of glassing. I planned on hitting the south end.

I was hoping for any other advice for this hunt, since I am very new to elk and they are much different in habits compared to deer from what it seems like. For being under 30, I like to think of myself in good shape.

Beendare

WKR
If you scroll down a page you will find another Etolin thread with some information.

if I had that tag I would have somebody fly me over the island.

——

I drew that tag last year and the other thread has some info about our hunt. We were unsuccessful as were most others. With your own boat you will overcome one of the major hurdles for most. That is cost and timing of the weather to get there. People can fly into Ketchikan only to be stuck for days or a week waiting for a weather window. We hiked up to the alpine and it took hours and we were seriously wondering how we would get the damn thing out if we ever saw one. There are no organized trails and I highly recommend micro spikes. There is an article somewhere on the web of a successful hunt where they found an animal near an alpine lake and had a plane fly the harvest down to their boat. Good luck!

Beendare

WKR
Having a boat is great....But what are you going to do with it while you are out hunting?

there is one dock that I know of.... on the east side and it’s nowhere near where you are going to find the elk.... there could be more, I don’t know

—-

OP
A

AKhunter6

FNG
It’s a seiner, so I’d got a couple anchorages that I’ve scoped out and raft into the beach. It would act as a base camp and I’d be able to move around to different areas if the one I’m in doesn’t seem to pan out. Be a great place to dry gear or get more food after a good amount of time in the woods.

OP
A

AKhunter6

FNG
Thanks NevadaMike! I’ll definitely invest in some micro spikes. I know I will get high, unless I get unbelievably lucky and see one on the beach on the way down and change my plan of action. I read the article on the lake hunt, it really is unreal how much these buggers can travel and how high they get.

If there is any other gear that you suggest on getting or wish you had, let me know!