De Havilland or Attack Pant

doverpack12

Curious if anyone has used both and how they compare. I’ve used the attack pant since 2011 and don’t think there is a better all around pant on the market. Stone Glacier does have me intrigued with the De Havilland and the giant zippered vent and I really like how that vent aligns and is accessible on all layers at once.

My take from trying on the De Havilland jacket is the material is just a little thicker I just don’t know how that translates to breathability, stretch and mobility, water and wind resistance.

rfurman24

The SG have shorter inseams than kuiu much like FL. I don't like it.

pods8

Rokslide Sponsor
Nice they have another color for those now. The one thing I wonder about is does crap fall into the pants with the open vents and no mesh liner?

junior

I prefer attacks. The fit is a lot better IMO. Dehavilland maybe better for late season than attack but if I were getting a designated late season pant I’d go Kuiu axis or sitka timberline. Don’t get me wrong I think SG puts out great products, to me those pants are just too much of a ‘tweener’ and the fit isn’t my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

I went back to back trips for 9 days this year, wore the SG pants first trip, and wore the Kuiu talus hybrid the second, which really brought the differences to light for me. I’ve always loved the Kuiu attacks and now these talus pants for wetter weather. For comfort under a pack belt, what stone glacier has designed is really hard to beat. I found wearing a belt and those talus pants (which normally doesn’t bug me at all) to be a real annoyance after being in those SG pants the previous 4 days.

I also really like the SG pockets a ton more. The open vents concerned me as well, but I didn’t have any issues with stuff getting in them. I did find the SG pants to be noticeably louder than the Kuiu attacks, or a Prana Zion. I think they will soften more over time, but part of that is how much nylon they use - overall I really like that material for later season stuff, and it’s tough as hell.

As far as drying out - I slipped on a rock in a stream crossing and literally ended up on my back (saved my recurve), like a turtle in a stream, and completely soaked those SG pants. I hiked them dry that afternoon/evening, and was pretty damn impressed.

I’d sum it up like this - day to day the cut and fit of the Kuiu pants is extremely good, and I tend to prefer it. But with the SG clothing, when you are under a backpack, it really, really shines, and the thought behind the designs and cuts is quite apparent. I would characterize their stuff as more function over form than Kuiu. Both approaches are valid.

Hope that helps.

Rommy

I’ve never used the SG pant so I shouldn’t even be commenting but the attacks and the Sitka timberlines are widely regarded as the best and most popular overall pants from the hunting brands.

I’ve gone through catsclaw (coues country, AZ) and got some snags on my attacks but only cosmetic damage and it could have been much much worse

RazAlGhoul

I have attack pants on most days . Best pants for work that I have found. Man work that is ! Hunt

LJ Buck

I prefer the cut to the SG pants over the attacks for sure. the adjustable zipper and the design for wearing the pants with a pack are unmatched in my option. I love the full zip and they breath great when zipped up, I don't believe you can compare any of them to the timberlines, those pants are a step up on overall durability and bombproof then the SG and Attacks. The sitka mountain pant is more comparable.

The Attack cut is made to fit a larger variety of body types making them for accepted to a larger market. Thats not what SG does, everything they make in the clothing is made for a very lean cut and they market to a very smaller crowd. Kuiu markets to the masses so they have to provide sizing and cuts that line up with that.

OP
doverpack12

doverpack12

I prefer the cut to the SG pants over the attacks for sure. the adjustable zipper and the design for wearing the pants with a pack are unmatched in my option. I love the full zip and they breath great when zipped up, I don't believe you can compare any of them to the timberlines, those pants are a step up on overall durability and bombproof then the SG and Attacks. The sitka mountain pant is more comparable.

The Attack cut is made to fit a larger variety of body types making them for accepted to a larger market. Thats not what SG does, everything they make in the clothing is made for a very lean cut and they market to a very smaller crowd. Kuiu markets to the masses so they have to provide sizing and cuts that line up with that.
how does the thigh and hip area compare to attacks of similar size. Attacks in the appropriate size are about as tight as I can go In the hips and thighs. I’m thinking with the adjustable waist the thighs are probably sized on the smaller end of the waist range so they aren’t giant on the low end of the waist range. Anyone have a recommendation on L or XL for a measured 35” waist? I wear 34 attacks

Last edited: