De Havilland or Attack Pant

Curious if anyone has used both and how they compare. I’ve used the attack pant since 2011 and don’t think there is a better all around pant on the market. Stone Glacier does have me intrigued with the De Havilland and the giant zippered vent and I really like how that vent aligns and is accessible on all layers at once.

My take from trying on the De Havilland jacket is the material is just a little thicker I just don’t know how that translates to breathability, stretch and mobility, water and wind resistance.

FURMAN

WKR
The SG have shorter inseams than kuiu much like FL. I don't like it.

junior

WKR
I prefer attacks. The fit is a lot better IMO. Dehavilland maybe better for late season than attack but if I were getting a designated late season pant I’d go Kuiu axis or sitka timberline. Don’t get me wrong I think SG puts out great products, to me those pants are just too much of a ‘tweener’ and the fit isn’t my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I went back to back trips for 9 days this year, wore the SG pants first trip, and wore the Kuiu talus hybrid the second, which really brought the differences to light for me. I’ve always loved the Kuiu attacks and now these talus pants for wetter weather. For comfort under a pack belt, what stone glacier has designed is really hard to beat. I found wearing a belt and those talus pants (which normally doesn’t bug me at all) to be a real annoyance after being in those SG pants the previous 4 days.

I also really like the SG pockets a ton more. The open vents concerned me as well, but I didn’t have any issues with stuff getting in them. I did find the SG pants to be noticeably louder than the Kuiu attacks, or a Prana Zion. I think they will soften more over time, but part of that is how much nylon they use - overall I really like that material for later season stuff, and it’s tough as hell.

As far as drying out - I slipped on a rock in a stream crossing and literally ended up on my back (saved my recurve), like a turtle in a stream, and completely soaked those SG pants. I hiked them dry that afternoon/evening, and was pretty damn impressed.

I’d sum it up like this - day to day the cut and fit of the Kuiu pants is extremely good, and I tend to prefer it. But with the SG clothing, when you are under a backpack, it really, really shines, and the thought behind the designs and cuts is quite apparent. I would characterize their stuff as more function over form than Kuiu. Both approaches are valid.

Hope that helps.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never used the SG pant so I shouldn’t even be commenting but the attacks and the Sitka timberlines are widely regarded as the best and most popular overall pants from the hunting brands.

I’ve gone through catsclaw (coues country, AZ) and got some snags on my attacks but only cosmetic damage and it could have been much much worse

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I have attack pants on most days . Best pants for work that I have found. Man work that is ! Hunt

LJ Buck

WKR
I prefer the cut to the SG pants over the attacks for sure. the adjustable zipper and the design for wearing the pants with a pack are unmatched in my option. I love the full zip and they breath great when zipped up, I don't believe you can compare any of them to the timberlines, those pants are a step up on overall durability and bombproof then the SG and Attacks. The sitka mountain pant is more comparable.

The Attack cut is made to fit a larger variety of body types making them for accepted to a larger market. Thats not what SG does, everything they make in the clothing is made for a very lean cut and they market to a very smaller crowd. Kuiu markets to the masses so they have to provide sizing and cuts that line up with that.

OP
doverpack12
I prefer the cut to the SG pants over the attacks for sure. the adjustable zipper and the design for wearing the pants with a pack are unmatched in my option. I love the full zip and they breath great when zipped up, I don't believe you can compare any of them to the timberlines, those pants are a step up on overall durability and bombproof then the SG and Attacks. The sitka mountain pant is more comparable.

The Attack cut is made to fit a larger variety of body types making them for accepted to a larger market. Thats not what SG does, everything they make in the clothing is made for a very lean cut and they market to a very smaller crowd. Kuiu markets to the masses so they have to provide sizing and cuts that line up with that.

how does the thigh and hip area compare to attacks of similar size. Attacks in the appropriate size are about as tight as I can go In the hips and thighs. I’m thinking with the adjustable waist the thighs are probably sized on the smaller end of the waist range so they aren’t giant on the low end of the waist range. Anyone have a recommendation on L or XL for a measured 35” waist? I wear 34 attacks

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread to follow. Really curious about this because I've gotten used to running prana zions without a belt but I want something a little heavier so I like the stone glacier concept - however, the're significantly more expensive considering you can usually find the Kuiu's 20-25% off at least once a year so I'm struggling to justify the stone glacier pants especially when the attacks seem to be almost universally loved.

Also maybe throwing one more option into the ring...skre hardscrabble. Now that they make these in a solid color I'd consider them as well so any comparisons to the SG or attacks would be super helpful

Last edited:

Wright406

WKR
Have had both and determined in my opinion the SG pant shines in mid to late season whereas the Attack pant wins for early to mid season. The SG pant is louder than I prefer for a bowhunting pant. It does fight wind better but I believe it's also a little thicker. I do like the adjustable waistline especially for adding thicker layers for predator hunting or late season hunts. Both dry quick as well.

OP
doverpack12
I ended up buying a pair of De Havilland in L. I would agree these are a little louder pant than attacks and would probably be ok bowhunting but I'm hoping they get a little quieter with more use. I've been wearing them shed hunting this spring are really like the pants. They do fit very different, the waist is high and the adjust ability provided within each size makes for an awkward and less flexible area in the left groin. The legs are larger throughout than 34 attacks and more in line with 36 attacks. I didn't try on a medium when I was buying at the store but I'm right in the center of the L adjustable velcro patch. The built in belt does work but I still need a belt. I feel like these were made for flat butt people and then the built in belt might hold better. With the high waist they just want to pull down in the back or the waist kind of wrinkles as I walk and step up. I really like the large vents which is primarily the reason I bought them because I felt they would offer greater versatility combined with the Helio bottom, Grumman and rain pants. The thigh pockets are set a little more toward the front to accommodate the side zips, I don't find them preventing or making hiking up steep hills awkward but they do feel different than most. The hand pockets wrap to the inside of the leg which is also weird hiking or walking around feeling my phone on the inside portion of my leg rather than outside of center.

These are a much thicker, warmer, and more wind resistant pant than the attacks so to me they are much more capable as a later season pant. I would put them on par with Sitka Mountain or Timberline pants for how warm they can be but the SG cuts wind better and then provides greater temperature range function with the ability to use the giant side zips.

If you like Prana Zions read what I said about the high wide waist carefully. Zions have a very low and narrow waist so the fit will be very different. I have 3 pairs of zions and they fit but are much slimmer through the legs and the waist is much lower cut and maybe an inch tall. SG is more rigid and pushing 2 inches, and the velcro patch adds to the rigidity in the left groin.

Still need more use for any comments on durability, but water resistance has been extremely good so far. I've had several 8-10 mile days in wetter spring snow with snowshoes and the pants haven't shown any wetness during the day to this point. If I spill some water drinking while taking a break it instantly beads up and can be brushed right off. I can't say the same for First Lite Guides which seem more like a sponge.

For me I don't think there is any question the two most functional pants out there are the Attack and De Havilland. They are different enough that they serve different purposes for me and each is a little better performing in one area or another allowing me to pick the best pant for a particular day or trip. For me Kuiu and SG are putting everyone else behind in the pant market from hunting companies right now (haven't worn SKRE Hardscrabbles but did order a pair and returned because they were too thin to offer much of anything different from Attacks). Skre is the only other pant with a vent which I think is without a doubt what has changed the technical pant market the most for versatility and maintaining comfort be it too hot or too cold and conserving your body's energy.

huntkansas

Lil-Rokslider
Have both. I really like the SG’s but am scared to use for spot and stalk archery with noise. Shed hunting with them to see how much quieter they get with time. Anyone noticed significant noise reduction with use? Want to be on board but the noise is really the kicker for me. The attacks have been awesome for 5 years now and agree likely what goes with me for early season if the others don’t quiet down.

ZuluBravo

WKR
Just bought a pair of attacks, super comfortable I must say. Interest about the SG’s as well. I like the venting system SG has for all their layers. At first I wondered why they didn’t have mesh behind the zippers but after seeing how you can vent all your layers at once down to skin I think it’s a pretty cool feature (no pun intended)

I think where I’ve landed is I’m asking my wife to order all three (attack, SG and skre) for Father’s Day and then I’ll send back two of them. The SG really interest me but I feel like I need to love them to justify the extra cost

So for you guys that have the stone glacier pants, do you find that the inner material softens up after a few washes? I ended up ordering the SG and the attacks and I love the fit of the SG but the attacks do seem noticeably softer against the skin.

LJ Buck

WKR
Lots of people mention they want a pants that are not to loud for archery hunting. If your pants are making to much noise on a stock then you are moving to fast. If you want a dead silent pant that that breathes amazing the FL Obsidian and Sitka Apex will do the trick.

I prefer both of those over the Kuiu attacks. The SG pant is made for big mountain hunting well above tree line in lots of rocks. But if you can’t sneak up on something in any of these then you need to slow down.

Same thing when everyone wants a puffy that is silent, it just doesn’t make sense to me. It’s a puffy, but if you move slow enough it will be silent.

huntkansas

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of people mention they want a pants that are not to loud for archery hunting. If your pants are making to much noise on a stock then you are moving to fast. If you want a dead silent pant that that breathes amazing the FL Obsidian and Sitka Apex will do the trick.

I prefer both of those over the Kuiu attacks. The SG pant is made for big mountain hunting well above tree line in lots of rocks. But if you can’t sneak up on something in any of these then you need to slow down.

Same thing when everyone wants a puffy that is silent, it just doesn’t make sense to me. It’s a puffy, but if you move slow enough it will be silent.
Would you say you can move at least twice as fast in the Obsidian's while stalking?? lolll. only kidding!