De Havilland pant and brush

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious on how well the de Havilland pants do in brush. They have some features that I find very appealing such as the boot cut and vents. I am wondering if they offer any protection from thorns as I've read people claiming these are very durable. A lot of my hunting involves walking through pulped forest. I go through a lot of raspberry bushes and other larger thorns. I usually end up with fairly bloody thighs. I also like the idea of being able to dump heat when I stop and take a break. For reference I currently wear wrangler outdoor pants and jeans for this activity and while it's not terrible I'm wondering if these would be worth the upgrade. If these will not work I will look into upland bird pants and possibly try to have someone sew vents into them.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Hard to say for sure but I’ve found them tough as hell. They aren’t dead quiet but they gain durability over a straight poly pant (they have a good amount of nylon in them).

Softshells are permeable and things would likely poke through the material depending on thorn length….they are a tad thicker than some pants so that’ll help though.

If you like the features etc then I would think they’d be a good possibility. Have you considered the first lite brush pants? They might even be better given your use.

BTW you can also throw knee pads in them, these are super light and comfortable - (https://cryeprecision.com/ProductDetail/padkf300000_airflex-field-knee-pads)

Take a look at Fjallraven Keb pants. I wanted the DH, but the fit was no bueno for my legs. I have various offerings from Fjallraven and they are all great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the responses. I look into the first lite or fjallraven pants. Sounds like first lites are roomier through the thighs. How do the fjallravens fit. I like a relaxed fit pant. Do these run big or small. I wear a 34 in wrangler outdoor pants and Levi jeans.

Thank you for the responses. I look into the first lite or fjallraven pants. Sounds like first lites are roomier through the thighs. How do the fjallravens fit. I like a relaxed fit pant. Do these run big or small. I wear a 34 in wrangler outdoor pants and Levi jeans.

Well, I don’t care for the Sitka Timberlines nor the DeHavilland’s because they were too baggy. I wear Sitka Ascent and First Lite Guide Lite, and they both fit well with a 38 waist. So I’d sat the Ken’s are a tad more relaxed to fit underlayers. I’d say they are pretty true to size. I really like they have an equivalent to a size 37 in US. I have Keb and Abisko and they both fit just right. I’d say if you’re between sizes, favor a tad smaller.

Sounds like you would benefit from some upland style brush/briar pants. Orvis has some that I really like, and have heard the FL sawbucks are good too (no personal experience)

OP
E

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you would benefit from some upland style brush/briar pants. Orvis has some that I really like, and have heard the FL sawbucks are good too (no personal experience)

Have you used the upland softshell pants from Orvis? I like that they have hip vents

I have not used them. Checked them out in the store at Orvis a while back and really like them. Was hoping to catch them on sale but have kind of forgot about them until I saw this thread. I have some of the denim briar pants from cabelas and I cant stand them because they have zero stretch/give. They sure do stop the briars though.