De Havilland Pant noise

bmod93

FNG
I just recieved a pair of De Havilland pants and really like the fit of them. However the noise is a bit much. For the people who have had the pants for a little while now, do they quiet down at all with use and washing? Thank you

Vandy321

WKR
Get a smaller size if you can fit them. I was in tweener land and went down one size...the swishing when I walked went down ten fold.

OP
B

bmod93

FNG
Get a smaller size if you can fit them. I was in tweener land and went down one size...the swishing when I walked went down ten fold.
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give that a try

I really(x2) like my De Havilland pants! Compared to anything I've worn in the mid-weight category, they're the best thing going for design, features, and performance. [Also the lowest price by quite a bit.] Over the last 3 months I've worn them most nights of the week while snowshoeing/rucking.

They do make noise in the same way my Sitka Timberline pants make noise. When handled, both pants make a sound similar to a flag or tarp rustling in the wind. I do agree with others to not expect the sound to fade over time, and that a tighter/athletic fit will work better to minimize friction or bagginess.

Other:
>I would NEVER bow hunt in them. Why tolerate mild pant noise when 100% avoidable? Zero noise is an easy enough rule.
>Would probably not wear them coyote stalking unless breezy.
>Easy go-to pant for rifle hunting if breezy, climbing, or open country.

Another pant in the material weight category is FL Catalyst, but they have the same zipper front pocket thing going as Timberline pant. [Why do they do that? :confused:] Catalyst are stealthy quiet, FWIW.

Hope this helps!

Vandy321

WKR
Gotta agree...I love my DH pants. But will probably wear my old pair of kuiu pro for archery still. The built in knee pads as well as the ultra quietness of that pant is a winner. I do like the pockets and full leg zips far better on the DH though, they will still be on every scouting trip and rifle hunt...just not archery.

if you wash them and put them in the dryer they will soften up and make less noise IMO. But they might also shrink just a little if you do this..

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’m not sure they would shrink - they are synthetic.

They quiet down a bit after some wear and washing, but the fabric isn’t going to change much as others have noted.

Mine was a bit tighter after the dryer, but I used high heat so the fabric would soften as much as possible. did not shink much, but a little bit.