De-load/Recovery Weeks

I'm in the process of putting together next year's training plan. My "performance" season typically runs SEP-NOV, i.e., hunting season.

I'll be concentrating on strength, mobility, and endurance. The first 3 months DEC-FEB will be weighted toward strength, 3x a week. Progression will continue past FEB but go to 2x per week strength training from FEB-AUG.

My training schedule will be similar to this year's, 10-14 hrs per week, 5/6 day workouts.

I had a few times this year where I had to cut back the workload on the gym, fatigue/over training. Made it through, peaked well in AUG and feeling good.

I've always done de-load/recovery as needed. I'm reading more regarding planned weeks of de-load/recovery anywhere from 4-8 weeks into a training cycle.

While I like de-load better (reducing workload but still going to the gym) rather than a recovery (basically little to no workout), I'm curious who is planning these rest times into your program rather than taking as needed. What are your reasons, what is your workout, and how has it worked out for you.

At 46, over training and good recovery between workouts is a must. And I can even understand deload weeks as needed, but I'm still not sure as to my necessity of planning them into the program, especially from a performance perspective.

I'm not an athlete, just an average joe that tries to push hard and enjoy the fruits of the labor. Getting better/stronger/more durable is the goal and im open to new ways to do it. But I'd sure like to hear real world testimonials before making changes.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Planned deloads in a periodized program usually occur because the training has progressive overload that takes an individual into an overreaching state (accumulated fatigue), with the goal of better adaptation to training due to the overreaching. If your training isn't reaching a point where you are building up fatigue from increased volume or intensity, then you can likely increase training load more before needing to take the deload. I'd say your current plan of deloading as needed seems fine. If you're seeing good results and not feeling beat down, then keep doing what you're doing.

Poser

WKR
I always just view it as “life gives you deloads”
-go on vacation for a long weekend or a week or whatever. Work gets busy, miss the gym a couple of days here and there. Those are your deloads.

I agree with the "life gives you deloads" idea. While 5/3/1 has deload weeks built in, I often skip them. Deload weeks will happen naturally when you get sick, or take vacations as previously mentioned.

*zap*

WKR
you need a few days no workouts to rest once in a while....just plan that and take em off as part of the program. Just be sure that your working hard when you workout. 65 and I average 50+ hrs a month during base periods. Right now I am transitioning and averaging 35 hrs...so I do not need a few days off regularly, when I am doing over 50 a month I need a few days off scheduled in. I like multiple days off in a row.

LostArra

WKR
Enthusiasm can send you into a state of fatigue that is difficult to recover from without detraining especially if you are over 40.

I've always lived by the statement "you don't get strong by lifting weights, You get strong by recovering and adapting to lifting weights". Regularly scheduled rest including plenty of sleep and food is mandatory.

*zap*

WKR
Just took 7 days off from strength training.....get back at it tomorrow. @65+ there is what I plan to do and what is best to do so I plan and then take it as it comes...started to get shoulder impingement from swimming (I believe) and took a week to work on straightening that out before it became a bigger issue...static hangs and found 3 very good exercises that have worked out well for helping with the impingement issue. Found some stretches to do going forward to help also...and I will start a mobility program for shoulders in a few weeks...