De-Priming Without Resizing?

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have RCBS FL Sizing/De-priming dies. Here's what I'm trying to do, please let me know if I'm going about this the right way or if there's something else I should be doing. End goal is to bump the should back that 'magic' .002.

My Steps:
- De-prime without resizing
- Clean brass & primer pockets
- Use comparator gauge and RCBS FL die to bump shoulder .002

My concern is that when I run my case into the die to de-prime it, it will resize too much it as well. Can I avoid this screwing the de-priming pin all the way down and only partially running my case up into the die?

Ram94

WKR
What cartridge are you loading for?

You can get universal depriming dies or what I do is use a 7mmRM resizing die for depriming 7mm-08 cases. It’s shorter and narrower so doesn’t get touched by the die but the pin still deprimes the case.

Dos XX

WKR
Get a decapping die. I think mine is a Redding. If you are shooting a case with small primer, make sure you get a decapping pin that is small enough to go through the flash hole or you will jack it up.

OP
I

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. This will be for 7mm Weatherby Mag and 270 Win.

I've done exactly what you are talking about lots. Ran the pin out real far and just ran it up until the primer popped. I wasn't worried about accidentally touching the case and just went quick. Worked good EXCEPT i may have failed to seat a case all the way into the shellholder and bent my decapping pin being a little too rammy.

I have RCBS FL Sizing/De-priming dies. Here's what I'm trying to do, please let me know if I'm going about this the right way or if there's something else I should be doing. End goal is to bump the should back that 'magic' .002.

My Steps:
- De-prime without resizing
- Clean brass & primer pockets
- Use comparator gauge and RCBS FL die to bump shoulder .002

My concern is that when I run my case into the die to de-prime it, it will resize too much it as well. Can I avoid this screwing the de-priming pin all the way down and only partially running my case up into the die?

I would just use your comparator and setup your die for the .002 shoulder bump and lock the ring in place.
Lube up some cases and start sizing them. Start adjusting the decapping rod until you are punching primers out. Clean the primer pockets and brass after sizing and well as remove the sizing lube or wax and then reprime, powder and seat your bullet.

I don’t understand the decapping and cleaning before sizing. You clean the case and then wax/lube it and size it only to clean it again. Am I missing something?

I would just use your comparator and setup your die for the .002 shoulder bump and lock the ring in place.
Lube up some cases and start sizing them. Start adjusting the decapping rod until you are punching primers out. Clean the primer pockets and brass after sizing and well as remove the sizing lube or wax and then reprime, powder and seat your bullet.

I don’t understand the decapping and cleaning before sizing. You clean the case and then wax/lube it and size it only to clean it again. Am I missing something?
Yes you would be missing all the black crud all over your press and in your dies.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Mighty Armory decapping dies. Precision made and bomb proof tool steel de-capping pins. I have used all the other brands including the LEE, and the Mighty Armory is BY FAR the best out there.

Yes you would be missing all the black crud all over your press and in your dies.
Gotcha. I normally just throw my fired brass in the tumbler for a minute or 2 while I setup my sizing die in the press. Take them out wax them and size them. Then clean primer pockets, wipe the wax off and tumble them a few minutes while I switch to seating die and put powder in the dispenser. Remove brass and prime them, dump powder and seat a bullet.

Man the hand deprimmer is sweet.
It has 3 different size collets and the knurled knob is a tension. You set it just snug.

Insert case. Flip down, pull lever, it flips itself open, next.
Collects the spent primers in the tube.
I do it while watching YouTube in the recliner.

Then tumble.

Lawnboi

WKR
I use a sinclair decapping die. Has small pins for small flash hole brass.

I decap before instead of during sizing cause I got sick of dumping tumbling media in my annealer. If it wasn’t for that I’d just decap when I size.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use RCBS FL dies, as well. I decap and size at the same time with no issues. There’s no way I’d add a useless step like that to my process. You’re overthinking it.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Lee universal decapper has worked well for me, $15 or maybe a little less. I like the looks of that hand decapper tool though!

IMO, this is the ticket. I don't size the case more than needed for consistent and reliable chambering. Set the die where you want it for your purpose, lower the decapping pin to where it pops the primer out, good to go. Occam's razor.