Deadhorse

Cac2662

FNG
Heading to Deadhorse in August on a caribou hunt. Looking for info on if I’m successful in getting one. How do I go about getting the head and horns home intact. I know I can cap the skull and split the horns to ship home. Not really looking to do that if I don’t have to. If I shoot a nice one I’d like to get a euro mount done. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

NUGGET

WKR
You can cut the antlers off at the base and still do a euro later. It’s a PITA shipping a whole rack south, unless you wanna pay big $$$$. Split it and forget it.

BBalash3

Lil-Rokslider
Wrapped and checked as baggage was by far the cheapest option for us last fall. This is two sets of antlers cut off at the skull plate and 2 totes of deboned frozen meat. We wrapped the antlers together for extra rigidity and to save cost. Alaska Airlines let me go for free (American EP) and my hunting partner only paid $100 to check his. Everything made it home to Indiana safely and the meat was still frozen.

Attachments

• 45BB639A-8AAC-42B4-A121-18AC2DF36BCD.jpeg
    45BB639A-8AAC-42B4-A121-18AC2DF36BCD.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 81

mooster

WKR
I cut and wrapped mine. I made sure to mark them before cutting. And I cut them irregularly so I could get the angle right when I put them back together for a euro mount.

NUGGET

WKR
I cut and wrapped mine. I made sure to mark them before cutting. And I cut them irregularly so I could get the angle right when I put them back together for a euro mount.
Great tip! Also helps to take some measurements like tip to tip mainbeam spread. Same with the shovels too.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you cut only about halfway though and then drop them on something hard they will break along the bone seam and fit back together perfectly like a puzzle edge

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bring what you need with you for duct tape. You can find cardboard in the dumpsters or around the general store, but dont expect many resources in Deadwhores. Its a bleak place with hussle and bussle that does not cater to hunters at all.

lb

Shipped a dandy set of intact moose antlers from Deadhorse back home to CO for $100 as air cargo back in '89. Taped empty 12 ga shotshell cases over the tips of the tines. All irrelevant today.