Dear You Tube stars…

Rich M

WKR
I disagree. If you had a dad/uncle/grandpa show you then you probably had to earn it. Packing gear, setting up camp, setting stands, checking bait piles, following blood trails, butchering animals, the list goes on. The beauty of learning from a person is that it is all part of the package.
If I took a friend out and I did all the work and they sat on their ass and “didn’t earn it” I wouldn’t be taking that friend hunting again.

I agree.

I mostly wish the internet didn't exist. But then again, I've learned a $#!t load more about a huge variety of topics in life than I ever would have without it.

It also helps me spend my money

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I disagree. If you had a dad/uncle/grandpa show you then you probably had to earn it. Packing gear, setting up camp, setting stands, checking bait piles, following blood trails, butchering animals, the list goes on. The beauty of learning from a person is that it is all part of the package.
If I took a friend out and I did all the work and they sat on their ass and “didn’t earn it” I wouldn’t be taking that friend hunting again.

You certainly "earn it" being self taught. If you thing youtube makes it where people sit "on their ass" and do nothing to get an animal then clearly I need to watch it more.

Learning from someone else (if they are a halfway decent teacher and not just a jackass looking for free labor) is much easier than teaching ones self.

So, if self teaching is not earning it, I stand by my statement that having a teacher is not earning it.

If earning it is the goal, than ranting against guides would have significantly more validity than ranting against information.

But, I am biased. As a poor boy I have never payed a guide. I also got taken deer hunting twice by a family friend growing up, but otherwise have never had anyone help me learn in situ. Even now, knowledge is pretty even between me and people I hunt with, so we share knowledge, but there is never a mentor relationship.

Some people I know who were taught are lazy and don't work to improve their knowledge unless spoon fed by someone. Plenty of people fall prey to the Dunning-Kruger effect and think they know more than they do after watching youtube or reading a book. Both groups have their turds and gems. But, I would argue that neither should be considered a separate group is it gives no meaningful distinction.

TheTone

WKR
I asked one last year on Instagram to please have a little more discretion with areas he was filming and showing off. I could have dropped a pin on numerous places he was showing and I’ve only spent about 10 days total in the drainage he was hunting. His response was to block me. I was amazed/saddened at all the positive feedback he received for the absolute awful Hail Mary gut shot he eventually put on a bull and his need to film it at close range as a bigger priority to putting a second shot into it the next day

WRM

WKR
I asked one last year on Instagram to please have a little more discretion with areas he was filming and showing off. I could have dropped a pin on numerous places he was showing and I’ve only spent about 10 days total in the drainage he was hunting. His response was to block me. I was amazed/saddened at all the positive feedback he received for the absolute awful Hail Mary gut shot he eventually put on a bull and his need to film it at close range as a bigger priority to putting a second shot into it the next day

We've had some great local "secret" spots damn near ruined within a season from the insta crowd. Sad, but that's their "claim to fame". Hopefully, their interests will wander their zombie asses on to something else quick like.

woods89

WKR
I mostly wish the internet didn't exist. But then again, I've learned a $#!t load more about a huge variety of topics in life than I ever would have without it.

It also helps me spend my money
Man, I agree. I have such a love/hate relationship with the 'net.

The draw process is supposed to be hard? You're kidding right? A lot bigger things to be concerned about than fellow hunters being informed...