Dear You Tube stars…

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
OP, you say..."Please stop telling the world how to do everything related to..." but have used this forum and digital technology for advice on stock bedding, reloading, home DIY fixes, etc...so freely sharing knowledge and information digitally with others is bad? I have learned a lot and benefited from many other's contributions here, how is that different?

You did start with 'venting', but hopefully realize you benefit from the same free sharing of knowledge....and those who are willing to put more time and energy, both online and on the ground (YouTube can't pull the trigger for you), will have an advantage.

Happy 4th and freedom to all.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk
Learning about reloading and stock bedding doesn’t have a collective negative impact on others. That’s the difference.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
OMG. Please don’t help people who want to learn how to be more productive. Oh my gosh, it’s not fair the internet exists and gives people more information than I had 20 years ago. It’s not fair!!!!
What a dumb stance. Just my opinion, but the better we have information available the better we are as a hunting community. The internet has provided more people with better information to be more productive faster. That’s not a bad thing. That’s great! We should celebrate that. I’m always dumbfounded by people who say I wish no one knew anything and had no access to useful resources. Why? Because your upset it wasn’t as easy for you? That’s bull. You should celebrate the fact that not only can new people learn soem things from the internet but you also could possible pick up a trick or two from the wealth of knowledge now available through the internet.
I couldn’t disagree with you more, but happy freedom day.

Deadfall

WKR
OMG. Please don’t help people who want to learn how to be more productive. Oh my gosh, it’s not fair the internet exists and gives people more information than I had 20 years ago. It’s not fair!!!!
What a dumb stance. Just my opinion, but the better we have information available the better we are as a hunting community. The internet has provided more people with better information to be more productive faster. That’s not a bad thing. That’s great! We should celebrate that. I’m always dumbfounded by people who say I wish no one knew anything and had no access to useful resources. Why? Because your upset it wasn’t as easy for you? That’s bull. You should celebrate the fact that not only can new people learn soem things from the internet but you also could possible pick up a trick or two from the wealth of knowledge now available through the internet.
More information, doesn't always mean better information.

Think what he's getting at is there are some parts of what we do that should be sacred and earned. Similar to a child that is given everything and never learns to respect struggle.
Which isn't unique to hunting.

I see folks every year that end up in a pickle from this internet information. Which is usually incomplete information.

Rob5589

WKR
Learning about reloading and stock bedding doesn’t have a collective negative impact on others. That’s the difference.
Not sure I can agree with the reloading part. During the Obama era the push was all about reloading. Now look where we're at. Worse off than ever :LOL:

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider

Think what he's getting at is there are some parts of what we do that should be sacred and earned. Similar to a child that is given everything and never learns to respect struggle.

I see folks every year that end up in a pickle from this internet information. Which is usually incomplete information.
I see a point there, sometimes the information isn’t complete. That’s where a new guy has to put in the work to complete the picture. But having a few puzzle pieces to start isn’t a bad thing. I don’t think anyone can become a successful hunter by just watching g YouTube. But having someplace to start is good. As an adult onset hunter YouTube has been invaluable to getting me started. But that will only get a person so far. Having ideas in your head from YouTube or elsewhere and putting those ideas to work in the real world are miles apart. It’s till takes on the ground work to put these ideas into practice.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR

You sir are an astute fellow! You nailed my intent precisely.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Just remember, everyone who got shown how to do things by dad/uncle/grandpa did not earn it either. Nor anyone who had a friend help them out along the way.

This is not talking about "earning" anything, it is just talking about controling information to control access, coming from someone who already has the information. From what I can see, this is not different than residents wanting to cut non-resident tag allotments.

Due to YouTube's profit model, the OP admitting he wants to watch any hunting content makes him part of the problem as he helps YouTubers make money and keeps them making videos.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Just remember, everyone who got shown how to do things by dad/uncle/grandpa did not earn it either. Nor anyone who had a friend help them out along the way.

This is not talking about "earning" anything, it is just talking about controling information to control access, coming from someone who already has the information. From what I can see, this is not different than residents wanting to cut non-resident tag allotments.

Due to YouTube's profit model, the OP admitting he wants to watch any hunting content makes him part of the problem as he helps YouTubers make money and keeps them making videos.
I take no issue with YouTube’s profit model. I’m all for entertainment. But that stops once it means the woods get oppressively crowded, and tags get impossible to draw, and we all have less opportunity as a result.

Last edited:

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoy the Newberg how to videos and the Netflix Meateater videos. We need this sport to grow and those guys to me are great ambassadors to the outdoors and make it much less intimidating to new hunters or at least hunters new to the west. There videos gave me the confidence to do it.

I take no issue with YouTube’s profit model. I’m all for entertainment. But that stops once it means the woods get oppressively crowded, and tags get impossible to draw, and we all have less opportunity as a result.
That started long before the first map was made; so should we be thrown back into the dark ages? Farther back?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I take no issue with YouTube’s profit model. I’m all for entertainment. But that stops once it means the woods get oppressively crowded, and tags get impossible to draw as a result.

My point is not that the profit model is wrong, my point is that due to the profit model watching entertainment funds the how too videos.

I'm also willing to bet the entertainment gets more people into the woods than the how to videos as the entertainment inspires and sets the hook.

Deadfall

WKR
I see a point there, sometimes the information isn’t complete. That’s where a new guy has to put in the work to complete the picture. But having a few puzzle pieces to start isn’t a bad thing. I don’t think anyone can become a successful hunter by just watching g YouTube. But having someplace to start is good. As an adult onset hunter YouTube has been invaluable to getting me started. But that will only get a person so far. Having ideas in your head from YouTube or elsewhere and putting those ideas to work in the real world are miles apart. It’s till takes on the ground work to put these ideas into practice.
True...how does a new hunter decipher the information. Especially these days when there is so much stuff out there. Most of it has been overly complicated by people selling stuff.

Take bow shooting for instance. There's really not much difference between bows these days.
People have listened to tge "experts" for so long that now people think you have to have a couple thousand dollars invested in a a bow setup to be lethal in woods. Or accurate on the range.. All the gear has gone crazy expensive.
By the time a new guy actually gets into the woods he has made a substantial investment and expectations are set to be out of wack.

Leads folks to miss the journey, type thing

Deadfall

WKR

Dad, uncle, grandpa, give out complete/accurate information to be helpful. Enough to get you going with a chance to not get messed up.
Not the case today. A majority of information being passed out on line are by folks trying to sell something. It's incomplete in alot of cases. On top of that a major issue is popping up with etiquette type things.

Fatcamp

WKR

You should read the post below yours. Whole lot of truth to it. Gone far beyond sharing some tips.

gelton

WKR
Kind of a catch 22 in that most groups act as if hunter engagement is low and we need to do more to expand hunting and then when it happens, those of us that were backcountry hunting for the better part of the last two decades, complain.

I am not worried about the new generation of hunters. I am worried about the ideals instilled upon them from those that might have ulterior motives.

This is a fun break from the recent threads titled "What is the hivemind's opinion of this popular hunter? Am I allowed to like them? Form my opinion for me please."

Always good to spice things up with a different kind of garbage.

cnelk

WKR
I bet there’s a direct age correlation between the guys saying ‘enough is enough’ and the guys saying ‘oh it’s ok, just helping others’

Mt Al

WKR
But that stops once it means the woods get oppressively crowded, and tags get impossible to draw, and we all have less opportunity as a result.

Woods: They are already oppressively crowded. Walk further, go farther, adapt, improvise or stay home. Not saying you're not doing this, but that's the game.

Tags: I know you're not being literal, but tags are not impossible to draw, just harder. I LOVE the threads in RockSlide where people squeal about getting out of the tag game because they might have to wait for years or actually compete for a limited resource. Get out now! More for those of us who stay in. More people in the draws = more people participating = more support for what we're doing = less politically palatable to shut us down. Same as people in the back country/woods.

Less opportunity: yes, but I'm personally happy for the new people who are getting outside and living. I do get really pissed when "my" (not mine at all) spots get more traffic, I feel dejected, but am happy that someone else is doing the work, getting outside and I have to adapt or stay home and squeal that things aren't what they used to be. They never have been, never will be.

If you're pissed about YouTube you must be furious about Rockslide. Just replace "youtube" with "any hunting/gun website" or "hunting how to books" or "people who volunteer their time helping others get into hunting"