Death and going hunting......

Wapiti1

WKR
Yesterday evening I drove to a small town in rural Indiana to say goodbye to a friend.

We had met through work and had a simple bond through hunting, fishing, and the outdoors. Over the years we had adventures, both successful and otherwise. Our last hunt was November 2018 in Montana for elk and deer. On that hunt we found success. We laughed. A lot. Occasionally, we shook our heads in frustration. We marveled at the beauty of a moose cow and calf backed by fresh fallen snow and were mesmerized by a nanny mountain goat and her two kids who danced and pranced across a shear cliff that they know as their playground.. We sat on deadfall in the falling snow and silently ate rock hard frozen snickers bars and trail mix. We saw sunrises and sunsets from angles perhaps only a handful of humans have ever seen. We saw deer and elk. We killed elk. And we sat by a pine wood fire to thaw our souls at the end of a long day. The light shimmering on antler tips, rifle barrels and in our eyes marking the end of a too short week together.

But this loss is not what this post is about. I offer the above as a spark for your inner fire. These are memories that I will forever be grateful for. Memories that drive me forward to make new ones friends and family. To get out there and live. Share and teach. Learn and be humbled.

To those who say maybe next year. Time is not your friend. My friend had lots of time left, and then he didn't. A life distilled into photos, artifacts and remembrances for those left behind. Plans made forever altered. Future hunts where his laugh will not echo through the woods.

So, please go. Do it next year. At the very least, make a firm plan for the future. There are no do overs, no second chances. It doesn't have to be a big adventure. Start small. But start. Involve family, take friends. Take the kids even at the earliest age.

Don't search for perfection. Don't put expectations on it. Don't think you need some special whizzbang gear or special knowledge. It's camping with a bow, rifle or fishing pole. People have been doing it for centuries and the only thing stopping you is you.

Sitting and waiting for the day to be done
Waiting for an end that surely will come
Can you tell us where you have been and how you have lived
Who did you help and what did you give
Can you share great stories, knowledge, and truth
Or do you sit all alone having squandered your youth

Jeremy

Rest in peace my friend.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well said and sorry about the loss of your friend. Life is short do it now as you never know when things will change or the opportunity is gone.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I read the title I was thinking "death and going hunting" as in......going to a funeral or memorial and taking advantage of the situation and hunting while you were there as well.

My dad and I went fly fishing for a few hours the morning of my aunt's funeral, and my grandmother thought that was horrible. I guess she would have rather had us sitting around the motel doing nothing all morning.

But ya........hunt while you can, and enjoy any time you spend with your friends and family. You never know when your time is up. Know where you're going to spend eternity.

Very well said. A fantastic 'call to arms'.

I've always found the following passage by Sterling Hayden worth reflecting on:

"The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed."

The actual passage is much longer, and worth taking the time to look up and read, but I don't want to hyjack what you have already said - perfectly.

Today...with so many people driving with their nose in the phone you are more likely to get killed than ever before in your lifetime. Distracted driving kills more people than drunk driving. You are at risk of death daily. Plan for the future but live for the day...there is no guarantee of next year, or even tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder Wapiti.

textingcrash.jpg

Elk97

WKR
Sorry for your loss, good hunting partners are hard to come by and sorely missed when gone. I've lost two this year. Don't wait, go now.

Wonderful tribute...I lost my uncle 8 years ago, growing up he was my outdoor mentor...countless hunting, climbing, rafting adventures....thought we'd have many more years of trips, but then between one day and the next, he was gone...haven't found anyone to replace him...

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
Thank you, all. Sadly, it often takes loss to understand and focus what is important. Surely, those things are many and varied among us, but, for me, time spent outdoors with others or alone holds great meaning.

Jeremy

Lost two very close outdoor mentors in the past year to pancreatic cancer. My uncle had gone to ground in just 10 weeks from diagnosis.
Clichè AF, but It's later than you think. The only guarantee with time is that you wont get anymore when yours runs out.
Thanks for posting this, time is always on my mind these days but it sure wasnt when i was younger. Good reminder for the up and comers.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the post and I also lost a friend this morning. Hadn't seen him in a couple years and then, they are no longer here. Makes you think about what is important in your life.

Randy

Azone

WKR
So far this year I've helped carry my favorite uncle to his grave and then i helped carry my father to his three months later. So yeah, here today and gone tomorrow are ringing pretty damn true with me right now. They both loved hunting, so it was a pretty f%cked up year not having them around to share stories with.
One minute you're skinning a deer out with them in the backyard having a beer and not a care in the world. Next thing you know you get "the call". Suddenly all the pictures scattered around the house seem to become far more valuable than all the things locked up in the gun safe.
Sorry for your loss Wapiti1, but sadly it's a hand we will all be dealt one day. Nothing we can do about it except have fun and make the best of our situations.

Yes, "we only go around once". I am getting older and know my years are getting shorter. Like you said, I am enjoying my time out in the woods with a deeper meaning than I ever have before. Sorry to hear about your friend.

I lost my dad the end of September. I can’t begin to explain the thoughts, the sadness, and the memories that go through my mind daily. It has made me realize how short the time really is. It’s made me realize that tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. That “next year” may not come. It’s been terrible, but as a wise man has said “GOOD”. GOOD that I had the time with my dad. GOOD that he taught me to be the man that I am. GOOD that I’ve realized how precious life and family is.

Life; no one gets out alive. Live it to its fullest. God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
Randy Newberg worked with a guy who was going to wait to have his "fun" in retirement. He never made it and said Randy "you will run out of health before you run out of money"

elkduds

WKR
I was reading
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/opinion-time-problem-or.150508/
before posting this.

Thank you, all. Sadly, it often takes loss to understand and focus what is important. Surely, those things are many and varied among us, but, for me, time spent outdoors with others or alone holds great meaning.

Jeremy

It seems harder to gather around what unites us, than what divides us. Jeremy, your posts here remind me of those same people and things I am grateful for. Happy Thanksgiving, RS.