Death and going hunting......

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
Lost my dad to cancer in August this year 6 days before September. He taught me to hunt and fish and this year has been hard. I was planning to go elk hunting in September but also lost my job this year in July, so I didn’t make it for the first time in the last 5 years. Hunted around home a little bit just haven’t found the drive this year. Hoping for a better year in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing....

.....our days are numbered......you are in control of how you spend them......make memories that will live longer than you do. Plan that next adventure and make memories!

Agross

WKR
Excellent post and thanks for sharing it. Sorry for yer loss. Losing someone close really puts things in perspective.

tater

WKR
I'm sorry for your loss. Great hunting partners are worth their weight in gold.

A great mentor and hunting partner of mine was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer seven years ago. He passed at the end of August, and i was actually forbidden to attend his service by his wife (the service was to be the second day of elk season).

I was told the best way to honour him was to follow his wish and drive the six hours to go chase elk and leave an arrow at the head of the basin in his memory. I fletched up one of his old cedar arrows and put on a 1968 Bear razorhead. I busted ass to the summit and left it at the intersection of three drainages and cried while the elk sang below.

He knew that with him gone, that i needed to make the most of the time that I had left, and not waste those precious days of hunting.

That is a hunting partner and a mentor who walked the walk.

Great reminder to give thanks today and every day. I have friends that tease me for snapping so many photos of them, but I know they appreciate them after the fact, and I know I’ll appreciate them after they are gone.

Thanks for the post. Truer words have never been written. Took my 10 year old out deer hunting for the last couple days. His first real deer hunt. We didn't get a deer but I am very thankful we were able to get out together. Very sorry for your loss and I hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving through it all.

Stalker69

WKR
Well written, I have never heard any one say “ man if we would not have had so many trips together ”. It’s always I should have taken him ( them, her ) at least one more time. I know I wish my dad was still here to go with us, and yes “ I wish for one more time”.

Marble

WKR
To the OP,

I have told people what you wrote about for the past 5 years. Although I haven't recently lost any of my hunting partners, a near death expereince made me realize there isn't always a next time.

Thank you for saying this again. It's important to realize the only reason we dont do some of the things we want to to do is because of ourselves.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for your loss and hope you'll find another friend like he was to you.
After my return from Nam and a very unsettling event the first yr. hunting, I sold all my gear(all), said I didn't need to get killed in the woods.
My second wife had 2 boys and when they were of hunting age, she asked if I'd take them hunting we'd go out and I'd be with them but not hunt and was nervous the whole time we were out.
She then bought me a rifle and encouraged me to hunt with them after a few year had gone by, I did and first hunting we did together was great and became less worrisome to me and a greater bond grew between the boys and I.
I say all that to say "Enjoy life and live it like no tomorrow, because Life does have an expiration date, so live while you can> Hhardrock