Death by a Thousand Cuts

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I renewed OnX last night. I feel it’s worth it, but I’m primarily a midwestern farm hunter who goes on one or two trips a year. I started thinking about other items I need (?) that are ONLY $30. We scan RokSlide and outdoor media. We have our buddies and bow shops that all dangle sexy new equipment in front of us. There’s always a lighter or more accurate rifle, and an opportunity to shave ounces or gain reliability. Some good and some bad.

On top of that are hunting rigs, tags, maps, gas money, ammo/arrows, rifles, bows, broadheads , etc. Its nothing new to have retail therapy in the off-season and then scramble to buy needed gear and supplies during the season: Death by a thousand cuts.

Where do you ignore the outdoor marketing machine? What gear have you decided that you don’t need an upgrade on?

For me it’s my 2006 Hoyt Trykon and shotguns. I don’t need better, and I know it, but I still lust. I could easily justify a new bow because I shoot so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
You should give in to the new bow fever, even if its a used one a year old. It will be a major upgrade! New Tech is great in the archery world. 14 years is a lifetime in bow technology.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I spend a lot of money on equipment, I'd like to give you a line I've drawn but I still haven't found it. Hell, I still buy cheap junk gadgets at Walmart because I think to myself, "that could be useful..." when I know damn good and well it's not, I have a room full of "old" Camo that could stock a small sporting goods store. I threaten to clean it out and just donate it but always talk myself out of it because you never know, I may use it... even though I haven't touched it in 7+ years. My laundry list of gear problems goes on and on... BUT if it's not really affecting my ability to pay bills and support the family then I justify it ;) Is there such a thing as Gear Junkies Anonymous?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always ignore the Marketing machine......outdoor or otherwise. I use an Ad Blocker so never see any ads on the internet and I refuse to watch a single commercial on TV. I'll flip channels incessantly if I have to until something (anything) is on other than ads. I know what I like, I know what I will use (and won't use), and that's what I look for "WHEN" I want to look for it. These companies will get my money only when I'm good and ready, and I'm never ready until there's a deep discount, and it's something I need and have studied.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I bought a 30-06 and a decent bow. Until their ability to kill an animal ceases, I will not 'upgrade', and prefer to repair whenever possible. Part of the larger part of society is the 'throw away' mentality once something newer, bigger, and supposedly better comes along.

For other gear, I'm still accumulating, but when I buy, I try to buy the best (for me) and only buy once. For example, I bought a spendy hunting pack, but don't expect to ever buy one again unless it fails catastrophically.

I try avoid buying 'hunting' specific things nowadays as I don't hunt enough to justify wearing camo half the year, so solid colours, dual purpose camping gear, etc.

As for lighter gear, I invest time an money into working out, so I'm stronger and healthier all around. You can spend a lot of money shaving ounces here and there, maybe adding up to 2-3 lbs...but if you're in good shape 2-3 lbs shouldn't really matter. I know, blasphemy on this site.

Something else to keep in mind, hunter are a relatively small market that's not quickly growing compared to, say, cyclists, or gear anglers, so constantly coming up with new products so hunters upgrade and replace is important to the survivability of these companies.

It's kind of funny that many hunting clothing companies tout the most durable clothing, yet next model is always better....shouldn't the older stuff still be pretty darn good?

Last edited by a moderator:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
You should give in to the new bow fever, even if its a used one a year old. It will be a major upgrade! New Tech is great in the archery world. 14 years is a lifetime in bow technology.
Man I thought and heard the same thing, and got the new Hoyt carbon fiber bow last year. I was hunting with my Hoyt Razortech for 16 years (which is was still in great shape and a killing machine) and figured the technology would be a huge improvement. Well....I can’t seem to tell a difference in anything! Ok, it is a quieter bow-but beyond that I got nothing
AND it’s harder to shoot accurate-how the F is that possible?!

KHNC

WKR
Could be your new bow doesnt "fit" you as well as it should. The grip will be different, the draw cycle, the weight (much lighter) and overall feel will be much different. A lighter bow will be harder to shoot accurately than the same bow with weight added ,(in the correct areas). It will likely take some time to get used to all of the differences. First and foremost tho, you have to make sure the bow fits your draw length and style of shooting. You are very accustomed to shooting your 16 year old bow and probably set in your habits as well. May take some time to realize the advantages. But, i assure you, they do exist.

I replace things as they wear out...but still hunting with a 90s model 30-06 and 300 win mag, optics upgraded recently, and a 04 mathews... my buddies give a hard time about my boxes of ammo that are older than my teenage kids...and somehow with all that "outdated" equipment my freezer stays full. YMMV

Fatcamp

WKR

Yet somehow Bear killed everything on four legs.

Just got done watching old videos. Crazy what that guy accomplished.

I disagree. I gave up the best shooting bow (elite) I've ever been able to handle for "new tech". Since I've upgraded a few times but nothing I've shot before or since that elite has shot as well in my hands, even from the same manufacturer. I guess I did gain 10fps but doubt animals can tell. At the end of the day you can only engineer a riser, two limbs and wheels, and a string in so many configurations before redundancy starts.... IMO new bows and people buying them are the epitome of marketing doing it's job.

I shot that bow so well in the last couple seasonss I've strongly considered shopping around for it again NIB.

You just stop. So much of this crap is un-necessary. If you "buy once, cry once", then stick to it. I see most use that phrase as a way to justify spending a shit-ton of money on something they don't need. Hunting tech is so over-rated.

A Remington 700 from the 60's is basically as good (and vice versa) as my Tikka T3 ( I'd be fine with an old 700, but used they cost about the same used as my Tikka and I never had need for a bolt gun on the east coast).

Three or four years ago I bought a new bow. Just a cheap PSE Stinger. Its a good bow. Better bow than I'll ever need. I upgraded from a Bear Whitetail 2 that I got for my 18th birthday. I'll turn 50 next year. The PSE is better. Like, probably 20% better. The Whitetail 2 shot arrows accurately to 40 yards and might have weighed a bit more.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen on this site someone asking about 'upgrading their truck' because the three year old one they got just won't do the job anymore. Good grief - I buy vehicles when they start to get to be about 15 years old with about 150k on the clock. For a song. And run them to 300k. For pennies.

If I never look through a pair of swaros, I guess I'll never know that my Nikons suck.

I got OnX last year on a deal to try it out. Its neat. I'll be going back to Google Earth for scouting for my needs.

Speaking of Fred Bear - I was also watching old videos of him earlier this week. Crazy how fast he would draw and shoot accurrately. No 45 second holds with his old Kodiak recurve.

Some people gotta have new everything. And many don't have a pot to piss in when it comes down to it. I guess its what is important to you.

I don’t pay much attention to the marketing. I don’t really watch hunting shows and don’t read magazines. Rokslide is the only social media or hunting related reading I do. I buy what I need and don’t replace much unless what a have just is not working the way I want. I also don’t collect things. If I buy a new one my old one gets sold or thrown out.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
OP-funny your handle is GearQueer...we always had a few guys in our platoon we called that.
Now I feel I’ve become one with all my hunting equipment 🤦🏻‍♂️

OP
G

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
OP-funny your handle is GearQueer...we always had a few guys in our platoon we called that.
Now I feel I’ve become one with all my hunting equipment

I first heard the phrase while I was with 1/10 back in 00’s. I always thought it was funny. I’m not really that much of one, but I’m the self deprecating type. Not gay BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Yet somehow Bear killed everything on four legs.

Just got done watching old videos. Crazy what that guy accomplished.
That is a very old and worn out analogy. You dont think he would have used a 2019 compound if he had the tech?

Broomd

WKR
I always ignore the Marketing machine......outdoor or otherwise. I use an Ad Blocker so never see any ads on the internet and I refuse to watch a single commercial on TV. I'll flip channels incessantly if I have to until something (anything) is on other than ads. I know what I like, I know what I will use (and won't use), and that's what I look for "WHEN" I want to look for it. These companies will get my money only when I'm good and ready, and I'm never ready until there's a deep discount, and it's something I need and have studied.
This^^^^ Couldn't have said it any better.

And we don't watch a single commercial if we can help it! Some homes let network tv stream all day long with that ad sh t!! Crazy.
I suppose it's why we don't watch any network TV anymore.

Fatcamp

WKR
That is a very old and worn out analogy. You dont think he would have used a 2019 compound if he had the tech?

I don't know. I do know he was very effective. My own set up would make some cringe, but I honestly don't think it's the weak point of my operation.

Lusting over bows is something I do often. Heck, my wife told me to buy a reduced price Elite this summer. Put the money towards reloading equipment and new strings for my bow instead. No regrats.

socoalt

WKR
This year after making a few more big purchases I have finally acquired everything I should need according to the common gear lists on this site. I had a sucessful year as far as being able to test all of my gear and feeling capable with what I have. I should want for nothing while in the field. Like alot of others on this site it has taken me a few years of well thought out purchases to get all of the gear that I have.

That being said...the marketing of companies and reviews by peers are powerful and tug at my curiosity to try the latest and greatest. I am just reminding myself that the stuff that I have is top notch, in great shape, and fits my needs. I dont need to upgrade until it wears out or breaks. I am THANKFUL for the stuff that I have and the ability to have acquired it.

Thanks for this post Gearqueer it helps to keep my perspective....The new bow purchase will be tough though especially since they are comping out next month :).