Death Hike in Southeast?

Carr5vols

WKR
Anybody interested in getting together for mini death hike or death hike in the southeast. Wanted to see interest before planning. I was thinking Cohutta Wilderness?

What about 8 miles straight uphill wearing an 85lb pack at a starting elevation of 8000' and ending at 11000'? See that profile pic? We were gonna go further but a late season snow storm closed the pass. You could say it was impassable. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about 8 miles straight uphill wearing an 85lb pack at a starting elevation of 8000' and ending at 11000'? See that profile pic? We were gonna go further but a late season csnow Storm cosed the pass. You could say it was impassable. :rolleyes:
So your saying you hiked for 8 miles with a 3000' vertical climb and a 85lbs in your pack? How long it did take you?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

All day. Shadows were long when we finally made camp. Was a serious chill in the air. That's when the muscle spams began.

Bl704

WKR
I'll stick to some section hiking of the AT.

Not a terribly difficult grade, but moments are fun. One was the stretch from Nantanhalla Outdoor Center to Clingman's Dome- 63 mile hike (22,400' ascent and 17,500' decent). Fontana Dam is close to midpoint. Note: hiking the stretch through the Smokies you're supposed to have a permit and camp at the shelters...

Last edited:

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking for vertical change and a tough hike, the Black Mountain Crest to Mt. Mitchell is what me and some buddies are looking at. Pretty tough

This. I did it last May and it was probably the hardest hike I’ve done, outside the Rockies/Sierras/Cascades. I did it as an overnight, and carrying enough water was a real concern. While it’s not 30 miles, if you felt the need you could go out and back and forth over and over if you wanted. Or there are a few other trails that connect up in the gaps where you could end up with a much longer excursion. Yancey County Transit Authority is helpful for the shuttle ride.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
All day. Shadows were long when we finally made camp. Was a serious chill in the air. That's when the muscle spams began.
This past spring my son and I took a short hike packing 60 pounds each counting our rifles. It was only 2500 feet. We started out at 9:00 PM and stopped to camp at 2:00 AM. Took another hour in the morning to finish. We only covered 2500 feet but we climbed 2800. We slept with our legs hanging over a downed pine tree to keep from rolling to the bottom. Coming down was the hard part. My son refers to that hike as "that time we climbed Mt Agony."

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody interested in getting together for mini death hike or death hike in the southeast. Wanted to see interest before planning. I was thinking Cohutta Wilderness?
Carr5vols,
We are supposed to do a training/scouting adventure through Cohutta. I am up for it. When would you want to go?

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Month or two before hunting season out west(July)? That way it would be nice and cool. Lol.
Man I am really hoping we can get to it soon. I started training last March and never had a cool kike. It was hot and so humid I had to carry a towel just to get the sweat out of my eyes.

jmav58

WKR
What about 8 miles straight uphill wearing an 85lb pack at a starting elevation of 8000' and ending at 11000'? See that profile pic? We were gonna go further but a late season csnow Storm cosed the pass. You could say it was impassable. :rolleyes:
I gotta ask. What are the details of your hike?