Death Hike in Southeast?

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to join, but work right now is crazy...don't understand who is buying all these vehicles.pay attention to the campgrounds the bears will ease through them looking for easy lunch...if no luck pm me and I will hit you with another place I know of.
So, what time do Yogi and Boo-Boo usually come through? These are the main campgrounds on the rd.?

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
What do the woods look like post fire? Are you seeing areas with early successional habitat? I've only ever fished there and I'd love to start hunting the wilderness area for deer and grouse if the young habitat brings them in.

It's a long trip for me so I've been focusing scouting in Rabun County (also a long trip).

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
If there are a lot of campers check the ridges running out from the campgrounds...this time of year they should be in the trees eating the nuts. Find the best mash find the bears.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
What do the woods look like post fire? Are you seeing areas with early successional habitat? I've only ever fished there and I'd love to start hunting the wilderness area for deer and grouse if the young habitat brings them in.

It's a long trip for me so I've been focusing scouting in Rabun County (also a long trip).
I have not seen much of the burned areas. The deer are there and bear. I have heard some reports that the grouse are returning. I will hit this thread with what I see. I am planning on taking a look at the burned areas.

Well, I decided to head up to Cohutta with my recurve. I plan on packing in and exploring about. If I bump into something worth packing out I certainly will do my best to stick it. The general idea however is some detailed scouting in preparation for the rifle opener on the 8th. I have not been up yet but the universal opinion is that the Whiteoak crop is a complete bust this year. Lots of Red and Chestnut Oaks producing though. So far this season not many bears taken and few seen. I guess they are just not concentrated because of a lack of white acorns and an abundance of reds. If anyone else is interested and free between now and next Sunday let me know and we can meet up.
I’m on rough ridge now till Sunday. Bout 5 miles from E. Cowpen split. Haven’t seen any bear sign yet but hog sign everywhere.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I’m on rough ridge now till Sunday. Bout 5 miles from E. Cowpen split. Haven’t seen any bear sign yet but hog sign everywhere.
I am south if the wma and covered in sign but no scat. No white oak acorns at all but they are tearing up the reds.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider

The burned area is coming back nicely. It is some very thick and in some places impenetrable habitat. I saw 1 grouse, 3 woodcock, a copperhead, and a fox in or about the thick new growth. I think it is very promising.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Wow that's good to hear! Last weekend I was doing some light hiking with my daughter along the Coleman River where it also burned in 2016 and there was much thicker ground cover than I remember. I hope there will be enough cover for a resurgence in deer and grouse populations, at least local to those areas.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to get up there this weekend.Haven't been there in a while. Anyone having luck? Going to be testing some new gear.
I will be there. The super crop of red oak acorns has the animals scattered and undercover. The deer should be rutting, and it will be cols, so hopefully, we will see bucks on the move. This might be a great time to test your gear. Mine failed last year with the same weather. I have done a partial upgrade and I guess I am about to learn if that was enough. It will be cold and wet. We should defiantly get plenty of snow on the mountain.

I will be there. The super crop of red oak acorns has the animals scattered and undercover. The deer should be rutting, and it will be cols, so hopefully, we will see bucks on the move. This might be a great time to test your gear. Mine failed last year with the same weather. I have done a partial upgrade and I guess I am about to learn if that was enough. It will be cold and wet. We should defiantly get plenty of snow on the mountain.
Well some work and family things came up last minute. So i was not able to make the hunt. Hopping to do a hog hunt / gear test in early january . You or anyone have any luck?

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Well some work and family things came up last minute. So i was not able to make the hunt. Hopping to do a hog hunt / gear test in early january . You or anyone have any luck?
The Cohutta hunt was a bust for most of us. Few bears were taken and the deer just were not rutting much yet. I made up for Cohutta last week, however. Wednesday evening I took my first bear, a 120 lb female. That next morning I took the biggest mountain deer I have ever seen. This brute of an 8 pointer weighed 225 plus.

Attachments

• deer4.jpg
    deer4.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 44
  • deer3.jpg
    deer3.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 43

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
The Cohutta hunt was a bust for most of us. Few bears were taken and the deer just were not rutting much yet. I made up for Cohutta last week, however. Wednesday evening I took my first bear, a 120 lb female. That next morning I took the biggest mountain deer I have ever seen. This brute of an 8 pointer weighed 225 plus.
Two years in a row you've come through on a mountain buck! I don't know what you're doing but you've got it figured out.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Two years in a row you've come through on a mountain buck! I don't know what you're doing but you've got it figured out.
this is what I have figured out. it takes time. you can't leave work at 3:30 and jump in a stand. it took 6 days last year and 7 this year. that is consecutive days sleeping in the cab of my truck. the entire time nothing goes right. the wind is wrong, or my clear route is full of crap that is both slow going and loud. I am very sure I am failing. then, it finally goes right. both times the wind was constant and strong in my face 8-10 mph. I had very quick and almost silent access to my position. both times I got into their space and they had no warning. both times the deer was on the ground very early in the sit. it was also the only time I hunted those spots. I think the chances of success drop rapidly the longer you sit, and hunting a spot twice without several days break is a recipe for a pleasant day watching squirrels.

this is what I have figured out. it takes time. you can't leave work at 3:30 and jump in a stand. it took 6 days last year and 7 this year. that is consecutive days sleeping in the cab of my truck. the entire time nothing goes right. the wind is wrong, or my clear route is full of crap that is both slow going and loud. I am very sure I am failing. then, it finally goes right. both times the wind was constant and strong in my face 8-10 mph. I had very quick and almost silent access to my position. both times I got into their space and they had no warning. both times the deer was on the ground very early in the sit. it was also the only time I hunted those spots. I think the chances of success drop rapidly the longer you sit, and hunting a spot twice without several days break is a recipe for a pleasant day watching squirrels.
that's a beautiful buck,congrats

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
Nice buck! I have taken more than my share of whitetails "slipping" on the ground and you are exactly right: it's all about getting into their space without being busted- whoever gets seen first loses. And you are correct that being repetetive is a great tactic for squirrel watching.

THat is a beautiful deer.

My family is from up in there and owns a cabin on the Jacks near the Jones Settlement. The number of deer I saw hunting when I was younger up there would fill a small cooler...

I wanted to follow this thread because of wanting to go back up there and bear hunt. Not sure I am in shape enough now though... Just thinking back on fishing rough creek and the falls...