Debating a soft shell

USMC-40

WKR
If you bring a hard shell and appropriate mid-layers - why do you pack a soft shell?

trying to get opinions on this...

ozyclint

WKR
i used to but now i don't. now i have base layers, mid layers, puffy, shell. the puffy pants and jacket are slightly lighter than just the soft shell jacket. the puffy has a far better warmth to weight ratio.

to me, clothes are either to 1- wick moisture away from skin, 2- insulate or 3- offer wind and waterproofness. the puffy is a better insulator than the soft shell at far lighter pack weight.

i'll use a soft shell on day hunts where it's not cold enough to warrant the puffy and stalking into trad bow range is aided by the camo.

Interesting topic. Seems like there is a camp that thinks soft shells are too heavy for what they do. Others love them.

I tend to use my sitka jetstream quite a bit. From windy 60s to 20-30 with snow. Jack of all trades so to speak. However, I rarely carry a three layer goretex type hard shell unless I know I am going to get heavy rain. The soft shell sheds some and I use packable rain gear if I need more protection. I have come to really like, the wind proof ness of the soft shell and feel like I get chilled easily in windy conditions without a layer that can cut a cold breeze. I have played with soft shell vests as an option and also a thin soft shell / wind shirt like the sitka mountain jacket that cuts wind but has no insulation. I like the wind shirt idea but wish Sitka would put out a version with a hood.

Bottom line is if I were really, really counting ounces and depending on conditions, then my soft shell might not make the cut. However, it is on my back or in my pack/truck more often than not.

Last edited:
OP
USMC-40

USMC-40

WKR
I probably would not hunt for an extended period of time (more than a couple days) in the mountains without solid rain gear (Kuiu Yukon jacket, fjallraven whatever they are called pants) - to me, a decent mid layer should have some wind-stopping ability, therefore where does the soft-shell fit? Lots of guys love them, just curious as to what i am missing.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
soft shell jackets typically don't breathe well enough, are heavy, not a substitute for dedicated rain gear, etc. If you had to pick one jacket to do it all, maybe- but I can't see a situation where that would ever be the case?

I like very light baselayers w/ a windshirt over the top if needed (these do breathe well, but still cut wind and light precipitation at a much lighter weight) or in cooler conditions w/ a mid-layer over the base or in addition to a windshirt.

nastynick

FNG
I had 2 Kuiu guide jackets. One was camo for hunting other major brown for around town. It is such a styled jacket and the fit is phenomenal. That said, I sold my camo jacket as it didn’t cut wind as well as I wanted and used the money to buy a hard shell Kuiu Chucach. I still rock the brown one as my cool weather around town jacket. For me the soft shell just doesn’t do enough in the woods, even though I like them. I think it depends on the soft shell too. Not all are created equal.

tttoadman

WKR
I gave up the microfleece layer for a gore windstopper softshell jacket. I love it. If I need a little insulation, I have a synthetic vest to go under it. I never leave without my hard shell jackey and rain pants.

Timberline jacket replaced my soft shell but I still like the Shacket for archery spot & stalk.

I never take a softshell if "backpacking" in.
But I'll be honest I have to make myself leave it, because I love it.

My main use for it is if it is supposed to be below freezing all day and i will be on the move, and also need stealth.
It resists snow and wind well enough, has pit zips, and is mostly quiet. And super comfy.
But it has to stay below freezing.

I'd rather beat the heck out of a softshell with a wind stopper barrier than a multi layer gore-tex rain shell on days when rain isn't actually a problem. Windy, snowy mornings I have a Timberline jacket I wear over an Uncompahgre and a grid fleece mid. Moves moisture away from me well enough and it's an amazing combination in wind.

My thought process is: every minute I'm wearing a waterproof shell when I don't need waterproof is one minute closer to it wetting out and failing when I do need waterproof.

Grizzly83

FNG
I generally think it’s pretty hard to beat the durability of a soft shell vs a puffy or rain gear outer layer, which is how I justify my soft shells. It’s hard to argue against a puffy and shell outer because of the versatility, but when you look at what good rain gear costs, it makes me nervous to brush bust or climb cliffs in it.

I’ve never considered a wind shirt (as mentioned above) and maybe I should be.... anyone have any recommendations for a good one?

I’ve got all the layers, but I don’t take them all on every trip. The puffy is for camp or glassing, after the pack comes off. I can hike with the pack while wearing the soft shell. The rain gear is only for extreme rain conditions (like SE Alaska) imo.

Sixsite gear made some pretty good USA softshell gear.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I generally think it’s pretty hard to beat the durability of a soft shell vs a puffy or rain gear outer layer, which is how I justify my soft shells. It’s hard to argue against a puffy and shell outer because of the versatility, but when you look at what good rain gear costs, it makes me nervous to brush bust or climb cliffs in it.

I’ve never considered a wind shirt (as mentioned above) and maybe I should be.... anyone have any recommendations for a good one?

I've got about a dozen of them :) For hunting I like either the Black Diamond Alpine Start or the Patagonia military one (can only be found on ebay, can't buy one from a store- well maybe an Army-Navy store).

Both breathe well while offering good wind and light precipitation resistance. Both are a heavier denier than most civilian offerings, little heavier obviously, but more suitable for hunting. Both are offered in muted colors.

Poser

WKR
On cold weather hunts, I’ve gone consecutive days on end without taking a guide jacket off. I’ll put my puffy on over it for cold sits, unzip the pits for moving and sleep in it, too. In Oct and Nov, I’ll often not bring a rain jacket since it’s not going to snow at the elevations I’m hunting. It doesn’t go on every hunt, but I do find it to be a comfortable and versatile piece for the right conditions.

Tick

WKR
I use a soft shell in cold late season. A base and fleece under it keep me comfortable most of the time. Only put a down jacket over it while stopped.

Rock-o

WKR
On cold weather hunts, I’ve gone consecutive days on end without taking a guide jacket off. I’ll put my puffy on over it for cold sits, unzip the pits for moving and sleep in it, too.
I'm new to all this and have only purchased several clothing items at this point. This is going to be my initial approach.

The end of this past ski season in Tahoe was my first "experiment". Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 Zip-T, Kuiu Guide jacket and sometimes an inexpensive Columbia puffy. I was never cold - or even cool. Overall I was quite comfortable. Sometimes too hot.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I love my kuiu guide jacket for day hunts, boat and raft hunts but I don’t pack it if I’m back packing.

Roughout

FNG
I was in same boat last year. Flew up for first sheep hunt. Wore soft shell in travel. Was going to decide at last minute which to take up the hill. I put it on first morning in camp, over base layer, and basically didn’t take it back off until I was back in Oklahoma. Can not beat the durability and benefit of wind barrier. Every situation is different, all good thoughts here. If oz truly a priority, may have to leave behind. But I’d trust soft shell durability over rain gear for day in day out abuse and added benefit of insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I like the jetstream for more inactive hunts. Truck hunts, base camp hunts, day stand hunts, turkey hunts.

If I’m going to the backcountry then I’m definitely doing a puffy and rain jacket. The puffy and rain jacket combo is more versatile, warmer, and lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk