Debone or just Quarter?

Rich M

WKR
You guys who do this regular - do you prefer to pack out quarters with bones in them or bone the meat and pack it like that?

I'm seeing some folks talking about meat balling up and spoiling.

I prefer to leave it on the bone. In my opinion it seems that the meet carries better that way. I've tried the bone out method a couple of times and it seems that the meat all settles to the bottom of my pack. JMHO

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a mix. Bone in - rigid in pack, little bit heavier. Bone out - looser in pack, little bit lighter.

I am going to do only bone out this year, but only because I got smaller cylindrical bags to put the meat in so that it won't ball up. I am planning on having to pack a ways, and I want to save as much weight as possible.

Bone in for me. Bone out I only did once and it was a hassle (I was a rookie when doing it) to do because I couldnt get it to stay out of a huge blob. I didnt do a good job boning it out either and the butcher was a bit annoyed. Feel like I should probably bone out again someday with the proper bags but for now its bone in as it keeps it simple for me. Good on the guys who bone out though.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on how far the truck is and what’s between me and the truck. Over 3 miles or super nasty country I’ll bone it out. If it’s less than 3 miles and not bad steepness quarter it and go.

mmac

WKR
Just saw this from Arizona if we bring meat back it has to be deboned or processed already. Probably doesn't impact a lot of people, but putting it out there...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Seems that a lot of folks would say otherwise, but I waste a lot less meat boning it out. Never had it go bad boning it. Never had it go bad quartering it either, but I don't care for the crust I always get on bone-in.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I almost never debone an animal unless I am packing it out by myself in the back country and plan on taking it home right away. But if I want to hang it for a few days while I help others hunt or its all down hill to camp I try quartering as much as I can. The bone makes a almost cooling rod into your meat and helps it stay cold and keep longer and much easier to mover around and hang.

brsnow

WKR
I take it off the bone. I was shocked how warm meat was next to the bone hours later during a November hunt.

Felix40

WKR
Pretty funny how there are so many different ideas on this.

I think deboning is the only way to go. Use deboned game bags and they pack A LOT better than quarters and are easier to handle. Taking the meat off the bone gets it cool a lot faster too because you are making more surface area. Lay the deboned meat out for a couple minutes to cool then put it in your game bags.

With proper game bags, boned out quarters do not ball up in a pack (if secured properly).

The only reason to leave bone in imo is if you’re planning on hanging to age.

LWC

FNG
Seems that a lot of folks would say otherwise, but I waste a lot less meat boning it out. Never had it go bad boning it. Never had it go bad quartering it either, but I don't care for the crust I always get on bone-in.

Curious why you only get the crust with the bone in. Do you think the bone has something to do with the meat forming the crust?

gerrits

FNG
I would agree, it depends on the distance and terrain. Does the extra time in the field boning make up for the weight you loose? I'm also pretty particular about keeping my meat clean, boning in the field is a good way to get the meat dirty if you're not careful.

How about a bit of each! It is EASY to take the bone our of the REAR quarter. Front, not so much. And the rear bone is the biggest, heaviest.

So I debone the rear quarter and leave the shoulder bone in. But even there I take if off at the elbow

Last edited: