Debone or just Quarter?

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Front quarters I leave the scapulas in and debone the lower leg bones. Rear quarters I debone to help the cooling process. I lay the rear quarter on my Tyvek ground sheet (3x3') and fillet the femur away by making a vertical cut along the inner portion of the bone and fillet the meat away around the whole circumference. I debone the lower leg bone completely. If I'm less then 30 minute from the truck (which has coolers full of ice) I pack out bone-in and debone the hind quarters on the tailgate. This also helps to fit the quarters in my 150qt coolers.

NoWiser

WKR
I've done both and it's always bone-in for me now. It makes butchering so much easier when I get home with much less waste.

I'm confused by the people saying bone will help the meat cool faster. Can anyone explain why they think this is accurate? I feel like it's the exact opposite in warm weather. Deboning will create an open channel through the hind quarters for more heat release/air circulation. I don't get too concerned about the fronts since most of the meat is on top the blade. The only meat spoil I've ever heard of is from bone souring and moisture causing bacteria growth.
Bone in doesn't help it cool faster. I think the be-bone wastage is from people who leave a giant ball of meat in a gamebag.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
I was primarily thinking that the bone would make it easier - attaching to pack. Personally would plan on de-boning at camp.

Lots of variables here. Appreciate everyone's experience.

sizzle403

FNG
Bone in, I find it easy to handle in the pack and seems easier to butcher at home when I have more time.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm confused by the people saying bone will help the meat cool faster. Can anyone explain why they think this is accurate? I feel like it's the exact opposite in warm weather. Deboning will create an open channel through the hind quarters for more heat release/air circulation. I don't get too concerned about the fronts since most of the meat is on top the blade. The only meat spoil I've ever heard of is from bone souring and moisture causing bacteria growth.
You can leave bone in and cut down to the bone to aid in air flow. Meat on the bone that goes through the rigor process then relaxes will always be more tender than meat that is immediately deboned and not given the chance to contract and then relax.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hard to make a good demi glace without the bones... bones aren't just a waste of pack weight. I can suck it up for the one or two days a year that I'm packing meat for the sauce and broth that I can enjoy the rest of the year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk