December AZ mule deer clothing?

Im planning on hunting OTC archery mule deer this year in NW arizona (probably 15s or 18s not sure just yet still need to spend more time on google earth). Wanted some feed back on my current clothing accumulation and what would be ideal for those conditions as I'm not sure how cold it gets. Heres what I have now, what would you choose?

Pants:
-Kuiu tiburon (these might be too light so was either going to get a pair of merino bottoms to wear underneath or just prana zions. zions should be ok on their own ya?)

Tops (I'll put a * next to what I think I would take):
-*Kuiu 145 merino top
-First Lite aerowool top
-Kuiu Tiburon top
-Kuiu Teton quarter Zip T (sorta fleece type)
-*Cabelas quarter zip fleece top (polertec i think; lighter and warmer than the kuiu)
-*First Lite Chama Hoodie
-*FL Uncompaghre Vest
-*FL Uncompaghre Jacket
-*Marmot Precip Rain Jacket

Hoodie might be overkill but its super comfy. Not sure what do you think?

Also are gloves needed and how beefy a pair of gloves do i need? (mechanix would work?)

Bonus question is there a map or resource that helps to find water sources in AZ? Not sure if this will be a hunt from the truck and keep my own water there kind of hunt or hike in and find water hunt. Would like to know prevalence of water sources. Thx

AZ is very similar to NM where I hunt. Your clothing list looks good. I would personally ditch the fleece and just wear the chama, but that's just me. You may want to consider some type of baselayer for your legs. The desert is pretty warm in the winter but it can also be pretty damn cold and windy at times. I use mechanix gloves in a lot of applications since they're durable and can stand up to a lot of what the desert can throw at you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a good start. I would bring gloves.

You mentioned a huge area and temps could be anywhere from 10-75deg or even worse swings. Pack everything plus more in the truck and take only what the current weather permits.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a good start. I would bring gloves.

You mentioned a huge area and temps could be anywhere from 10-75deg or even worse swings. Pack everything plus more in the truck and take only what the current weather permits.

I hunted near Tucson during Christmas week 2013 and then again Christmas week 2015. In 2013, I was enjoying mid-70s by the afternoon with blue skies and no wind. In 2015, was below freezing for first 3 hours of daylight with brisk winds and some wet snow flurries that afternoon with accumulation by sunset up on the ridges where I was hunting. So, be prepared with clothes that layer and to handle freezing temperatures in early morning and at sunset. The desert can be very cold.

OP
bojangles808
I hunted near Tucson during Christmas week 2013 and then again Christmas week 2015. In 2013, I was enjoying mid-70s by the afternoon with blue skies and no wind. In 2015, was below freezing for first 3 hours of daylight with brisk winds and some wet snow flurries that afternoon with accumulation by sunset up on the ridges where I was hunting. So, be prepared with clothes that layer and to handle freezing temperatures in early morning and at sunset. The desert can be very cold.

Dang u got me thinking now. Would I be ok with my REI quarterdome tent, neoair trekker and 20 degree synthetic bag.if I sleep in my clothes

RoJo

WKR
You should be fine with what you have, plus gloves...but you will want to check the forecast right before to make sure there isn't some crazy winter storm rolling through during your hunt.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
I keep a FL Wind River Balaclava in my kit at all times. have used it many early mornings and serves double duty as insulation when sleeping. fits well over a cap and takes up very little room. I keep a pair of mechanics gloves in all my bags, but for cold mornings really like the FL fingerless glove. kept hands warm and super comfortable. Can also still operate phone without taking gloves off. also doubles as sleeping gear.

R_burg

WKR
IMO theres a really good possibility you will need something warmer than those Tiburons. I have them and the wind whips through them, plus they are light in general. I would definitely not want to wear mine for the Dec hunt, and I hunt a more central unit that should be a little warmer. FWIW I wear Attacks for the Dec/Jan OTC hunt and often times have a baselayer on as well.

OP
bojangles808
IMO theres a really good possibility you will need something warmer than those Tiburons. I have them and the wind whips through them, plus they are light in general. I would definitely not want to wear mine for the Dec hunt, and I hunt a more central unit that should be a little warmer. FWIW I wear Attacks for the Dec/Jan OTC hunt and often times have a baselayer on as well.

i got a deal on some sitka ascents. still too light? id get a merino base layer bottom too

R_burg

WKR
i got a deal on some sitka ascents. still too light? id get a merino base layer bottom too

I've never worn them, but they seem like Sitka's version of the Tiburon (or vice versa).

You could see highs as high as low 70s and lows as low as high teens... I would personally go for something warmer than that. But you could run hotter than me, I know my buddy gets really hot really fast, so he likes to wear lighter stuff than I do.

OP
bojangles808
I've never worn them, but they seem like Sitka's version of the Tiburon (or vice versa).

You could see highs as high as low 70s and lows as low as high teens... I would personally go for something warmer than that. But you could run hotter than me, I know my buddy gets really hot really fast, so he likes to wear lighter stuff than I do.

What works for you? Would prana Zions or EB guides be thick enough?

Poser

WKR
I was hunting around Tucson the week before Xmas 2015. It was FRIGID with snow and high winds. I was almost always wearing a guide jacket e veto on the hardest climbs. I was almost always wearing a puffy when glassing. It was way too cold for bladders and we had a lot of freezing issues. There were days with sustained 30 MPH winds and gusts at 60+. I don't think that was a normal year, but it was COLD. On the plus side, the night are LONG so you get plenty of sleep.

Watch out for the catclaw -it'll shred merino. Someone on here suggested a small fine tooth comb for picking cactus needles out of your pants and that worked well.

ffb69fe98b0169750ce8294151312edc.jpg

Blackcow

WKR
After mid October, I wear attacks or corrugate guides, and sometime in November I add a layer under those, at least in the morning. That's up north central where I'm at all the way down to the border. I'd rather be toasty for 3 or 4 hours midday than freezing all day. Arizona gets colder than alot of people think. I think nothing of it if it's in the mid teens over night, and 65 middle of the day.

OP
bojangles808
thanks guys sounds like base layer is a must. any non camo hiking pants work in those temps? prana zions? dont really want to break the bank on a pair of pants id never wear here but i guess i can always buy and sell in the classifieds after.

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of puffy pants for glassing. AZ can be colder and windier than one think and when spending hours behind the glass at first light, staying warm and comfy makes a big difference imo.

Deer move/feed longer in the am and waiting for them to bed can take a while. Pending on the terrain, taking a break to warm up while glassing can mean loosing track of them when hunting solo.

Hence, I also wear winter mittens and a puffy jacket.

When glassing for hours in the same spot, these extra layers make a huge difference.

In terms of pants to wear on the move, I'd say the FL corrugates or Eddie Bauer guide pants etc w a base layer are sufficient. Brush can be hard on pants in AZ.

Temps tend to vary a lot that time of year in my experience and I've seen everything from teens and snow to mid 60s in a span of days.

OP
bojangles808
I'm a big fan of puffy pants for glassing. AZ can be colder and windier than one think and when spending hours behind the glass at first light, staying warm and comfy makes a big difference imo.

Deer move/feed longer in the am and waiting for them to bed can take a while. Pending on the terrain, taking a break to warm up while glassing can mean loosing track of them when hunting solo.

Hence, I also wear winter mittens and a puffy jacket.

When glassing for hours in the same spot, these extra layers make a huge difference.

In terms of pants to wear on the move, I'd say the FL corrugates or Eddie Bauer guide pants etc w a base layer are sufficient. Brush can be hard on pants in AZ.

Temps tend to vary a lot that time of year in my experience and I've seen everything from teens and snow to mid 60s in a span of days.

ya i saw the kuiu kenai pants were on sale and was thinking about that direction. go with a merino bottom. wrangler performance outdoor pant (similar to EB guides) and puffy pant sounds like a good setup that would handle a wide range of temps

OP
bojangles808
I updated my clothing list and I thought I would bump this up instead of start a new thread. Temps are supposed to average 55 high and 22 low in december for the unit.

-Wooly Merino boxer 1 pair
-Exofficio boxer 1 pair
-Darn Tough Merino Socks 2 pair
-Black Ovis Merino 190 bottoms
-Prana Zion Pant
-USMC M-65 Military Field Pant (puffy pant for glassing)
Amazon.com : Military Field Pant Liner for Cold Weather Trousers - Quilted - Olive Drab Green - Genuine Army Issue : Tactical And Duty Equipment : Sports & Outdoors
-First Lite aerowool top
-First lite Chama hoody
-Sitka Core Heavy weight Hoody (fleece)
-FL Uncompaghre Vest
-Kuiu Hooded Kenai Jacket
-Marmot Precip Rain Jacket
-Sitka Traverse Glove
-Rothco fleece beanie

I also have an Uncompaghre Jacket, Tiburon top, Kuiu 145 Merino Top, and a Sitka Core Lightweight top but was planning on leaving most at home. Maybe I was I was thinking of taking the Uncompaghre Jacket instead of the Kenai if its really cold, but was planning on wearing the Kenai because its so much quieter for bowhunting. I know the Kenai isn't supposed to be as warm in the wind but I thought with the core heavyweight hoody and uncompaghre vest that would be a nice system. Also thinking of rotating the chama hoody and aerowool top as base layers as they might seem a little redundant. what do you think? would you change anything? With so many roads I was thinking we probably wont get to far from the truck and i might just bring both and leave one in the truck