December Cow Elk -WY

thillman

FNG
Hi all,

First post here, I am looking to go on a cow elk hunt in December in Wyoming. I have ample time to hunt...around 18 days. Last year I attempted to hunt unit 34. I had seen numerous elk private land at low elevations despite the warm temps( mid 40’s) and little snow up until about 8500’. I’m looking at unit 49 as there is quite a bit of access to public with decent access near riparian and agricultural areas?

Is this unit for the most part a migration corridor or do elk use this area as wintering grounds?

Thanks for your time,

alladvntr

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I am not familiar with unit 49 but if there are still tags there is a reason for it, most likely no elk on public. This year especially if you can still get a tag there is not much opportunity to fill it. Call the warden and bio and see what they say.

I am not familiar with unit 49 but if there are still tags there is a reason for it, most likely no elk on public. This year especially if you can still get a tag there is not much opportunity to fill it. Call the warden and bio and see what they say.
Solid advice!

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
I probably wouldn't choose 49 for an elk hunt unless I knew a landowner on the eastern edge of the area at the base of the Bighorns that I had permission. The only real elky areas are that easr edge which is almost all private, and any elk will likely be on private.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Southern Bighorn units have tags available for a reason, tough access due to private but also you need weather for good hunting and weather could make roads to most country impassable (without tracks/snow machine).