December Mule Deer Hunts (Arizona vs Nebraska)

OP
TX1836

TX1836

FNG
Per the AZGFD website they have quite a few left over tags:

"AZGFD will begin accepting paper applications for leftover hunt permit-tags Monday, Nov. 18 — by mail only — at 5000 W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85086, Attn.: Draw/First Come. Leftover hunt permit-tags will be available for purchase on a “first come, first served” basis beginning Monday, Nov. 25, at all department offices."

Left Over List
That's awesome bud. Thanks for the link!

Fitzwho

WKR
TX1836, that country looks pretty familiar. My in-laws own a ranch in Webb County. It stays leased out so I don't get to hunt it as much as I would like. Those are some very nice STx whitetails.

I have been thinking about doing Nebraska with muzzleloaders this year as well. Possibly just a doe tag, but $242 for an any deer tag isn’t that bad either.

OP
TX1836

TX1836

FNG
TX1836, that country looks pretty familiar. My in-laws own a ranch in Webb County. It stays leased out so I don't get to hunt it as much as I would like. Those are some very nice STx whitetails.

I have been thinking about doing Nebraska with muzzleloaders this year as well. Possibly just a doe tag, but $242 for an any deer tag isn’t that bad either.
Thanks Fitzwho! Close, but not Webb. One county up in La Salle. Let me know what you decide on the NE muzzy hunt.

OP
TX1836

TX1836

FNG
I believe the hunting is better in January than December due to the timing of the rut for both species of deer.

Are there ever concerns hunting along the border units in Arizona? With the crap that happened this week south of Douglas, I was just wondering.

ghenson82

FNG
Its probably a little late for this year, but maybe his senior year- Have you considered trading a S. Texas WT hunt for a private land NE Mulie hunt? Those private land ranchers & farmers may be able to put you on some nice mule deer.

OP
TX1836

TX1836

FNG
Its probably a little late for this year, but maybe his senior year- Have you considered trading a S. Texas WT hunt for a private land NE Mulie hunt? Those private land ranchers & farmers may be able to put you on some nice mule deer.
I am not sure I am getting what you said. Which part is a little late for this year? Sorry, just did not understand.

ghenson82

FNG
I am not sure I am getting what you said. Which part is a little late for this year? Sorry, just did not understand.

All good. I was just saying that it might be late to start making contacts, plans, etc. for this season. But plenty of time to make connections with landowners for next season. Who knows, you might get lucky and find someone willing to trade and make it happen before the season ends.

OP
TX1836

TX1836

FNG
All good. I was just saying that it might be late to start making contacts, plans, etc. for this season. But plenty of time to make connections with landowners for next season. Who knows, you might get lucky and find someone willing to trade and make it happen before the season ends.
Ah ha! You are very right. Thanks for the clarification.

KHNC

WKR
We offer guided hunts in Nebraska, and we do have those dates available right now. We have both mule deer and whitetail, more whitetail bucks for sure but there are a number of mule deer bucks as well. Typically looking at bucks 130-150. We have the potential for larger bucks, but not consistent enough to sell. Your tag is good for either species. Our hunts are 5 days, 6 nights, lodging, meals, in field transportation, blinds/stands all inclusive. We can offer a $200 price break if you want to do your own meals. The lodge is basically a house that you'll have to yourself, beds/bedding, full kitchen, hot water, sat TV, propane/wood heat. You can see more info at RunningWaterHunting.com
Are you near TC Colvin's river lease? I assume you know him, he lives in Valentine. Hunted that area several times prior to EHD disaster in 2012.

bohntr

WKR
Are there ever concerns hunting along the border units in Arizona? With the crap that happened this week south of Douglas, I was just wondering.

Yes, there are some concerns/issues in some of those units along the border. if you go there, be aware of your surroundings at all times and have a plan.

Fitzwho

WKR
If you're worried about the border issue, just stay north of I-10, or at least one unit north of the border. I hunted unit 29 in December 2017 and I didn't have any issues.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you near TC Colvin's river lease? I assume you know him, he lives in Valentine. Hunted that area several times prior to EHD disaster in 2012.

I don’t know that guy. We’re 100 miles west of Valentine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TX1836

TX1836

FNG
If you're worried about the border issue, just stay north of I-10, or at least one unit north of the border. I hunted unit 29 in December 2017 and I didn't have any issues.

I imagine it probably like it is in Texas, but just checking since we won’t know anybody out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KHNC

WKR
I don’t know that guy. We’re 100 miles west of Valentine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you are near the territory i normally hunt then. I didnt realize the river ran 100 miles w of valentine. I hunt near Crawford normally. I have also shot some nice bucks south of valentine as well.

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure you're hunting style but I'd say Arizona all the way. Make sure you have good glass and good boots. If everything works out right for you all bucks will hopefully be rutting good and finding then should not be an issue. Expect all different kinds of weather but regardless the weather here usually won't shut you down, may just be miserable. Also bring a shot gun for you and your boy as quail will be open and may be a fun way to pass mid days and scout new area. Good luck to you and you're son. Hope you all are able to make some amazing memories. Keep us posted!!!

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Also didn't see your question about the border, I've heard good stories and bad. Me personally with you're son, like the other gentlemen suggested I'd stay a unit north or at least on the north side of any border lining unit. With that being said my brother in law is down 35b right now with no issues.

Hello all! First time post here, even though I have been quietly reading threads for many years. I have a decision to make, and would like some input from the plethora of advisers that Rokslide has to offer. I want to take my son hunting the week between Xmas and New Years while he is out of school for the holidays. We make a trip to Colorado or Wyoming yearly for Muleys, but he is a high school junior this year, and school and football prevented him from going. The choice we have is OTC Late Archery Season in Arizona, or Muzzle-loader Season in Nebraska. My expectations are not high, and he knows that either of these are not necessarily high potential hunting opportunities. We live in South Texas, so either trip is about the same distance for us. This is more about me making sure that I get the quality time with my son, and he loves chasing free range deer. Any thoughts on which is better? Sort of a random questions, and I apologize. However I am looking for some insight from those who have done one or the other hunts in Arizona or Nebraska.
I am happy to read this because I have been wondering about doing an OTC Arizona muley Hunt too. Thank you for asking the question, we are both learning from these answers!

OP
TX1836

TX1836

FNG
I am happy to read this because I have been wondering about doing an OTC Arizona muley Hunt too. Thank you for asking the question, we are both learning from these answers!
Yes, it is something that I have always wanted to do. I have just never reserved enough time after all of the other hunting seasons to have enough time left to go do it. really excited about maybe trying it this January now.

OP
TX1836

TX1836

FNG
Also didn't see your question about the border, I've heard good stories and bad. Me personally with you're son, like the other gentlemen suggested I'd stay a unit north or at least on the north side of any border lining unit. With that being said my brother in law is down 35b right now with no issues.
Thanks for all of the good advice DBuck. I may need to hit you up as season draws closer.