Decent budget sleeping bag

DTime20

FNG
Looking for a decent backpacking sleeping bag that won’t break the bank. Right now I’m using a old synthetic mountain hardwear lamina 20. It’s a good bag and haven’t had too many problems with temp. Wondering if I should just keep this bag or if getting a new sleeping bag would make a difference. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean by budget? A Kelty Cosmic Down 20 will be pretty inexpensive and you won't freeze to death in it. I wouldn't hesitate to take one backpacking. Sierra Design bags are often a good value as well and significantly better in quality than the Kelty.

Moserkr

WKR
Will have to second that good old cheap cosmic kelty. Its just a bit heavy, but had mine for 5+ years now and have pushed its limits well beyond its 20* rating (which is lower limit btw). But for $120 or so, good bargain buy. I keep looking at a nice new $5-600 bag and just upgrade something else first.

Jimss

WKR
I would keep your eye out for a nearly new Western Mountaineering on craigslist, ebay, marketplace, etc.

Firehawk

WKR
I have really enjoyed my Klymit KSB Down bag. I have a 20* and a 0* version. The stretch baffles are really nice and comfortable. Definitely a little heavier than some down bags, but it does a nice job and is comfortable.

SMOKYMTN

WKR

Marble

WKR
Is it for backpacking or tent camping?

Edit,: I see you said backpacking.

I would look for used first.

Also if you keep an eye out, REI does have some pretty good deals occasionally if you can be patient.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

What do you mean by budget? A Kelty Cosmic Down 20 will be pretty inexpensive and you won't freeze to death in it. I wouldn't hesitate to take one backpacking. Sierra Design bags are often a good value as well and significantly better in quality than the Kelty.
These 2 for sure. Most others aren't much of a "cheap" upgrade. Sierra designs makes great stuff for the money. After that level, seems like you will be shelling out the cash though. Save up and sell the bag you got until you can get a high end stone glacier, kuiu,etc...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Outdoor Vitals 0 degree bag that goes for about $300 and weighs 2 1/2 pounds. That’s been a good purchase.

Rokwiia

WKR
Looking for a decent backpacking sleeping bag that won’t break the bank. Right now I’m using a old synthetic mountain hardwear lamina 20. It’s a good bag and haven’t had too many problems with temp. Wondering if I should just keep this bag or if getting a new sleeping bag would make a difference. Thanks

It's helpful if you can give us your definition of breaking the bank. The Bank of Manhattan, the Bank of East Kabooby, or some other bank. A dollar range would allow us to focus on options for you rather than guessing.

OP
DTime20

DTime20

FNG
It's helpful if you can give us your definition of breaking the bank. The Bank of Manhattan, the Bank of East Kabooby, or some other bank. A dollar range would allow us to focus on options for you rather than guessing.

I was trying to stick below $300 was my goal.

SMOKYMTN

WKR