Decent priced muzzleloader for my daughter

Steadman

WKR
My daughter drew her first mule deer tag here in It this year. It's a muzzleloader tag. I'm looking to get a muzzleloader that won't break the bank because I'm honestly not sure if it'll ever get used after this year. Since I've been out of the muzzleloader game for a long time some advise is appreciated. Thanks

Felix40

WKR
I bought a traditions buckstalker on a whim during Black Friday a few years ago. My plan was to use it for the one week muzzleloader season if I still had tags to fill. It actually shoots really good and I’ve used it for more than I thought I would. I don’t really know anything about MLs but it was cheap and it makes animals dead. It’s a very light gun too so a kid would be able to carry it no problem.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Cva wolf is great youth muzzle loader I got my son a knight 50cal I also have a knight 54 but have heard good things about cva for youth my son was 9 when I got it for him

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
You should check out muzzleloaders.com to stock up on accessories, once you get her a gun. There prices and selection is top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowdeuce

FNG
The CVA wolf is a great cheap gun. Black stock with stainless barrel and it's held up great for the past couple years.

Laramie

WKR
Where are you located and what dates are you hunting? If it worked, i would let her borrow mine. I have a 4 year old CVA wolf already sighted in and ready to hunt. It is very accurate and sighted in for 100 yards currently. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for a CVA wolf. I bought one last year and it shoots well.

Can any of you muzzleloader guys recommend a light recoil load with Blackhorn 209 that would work for elk out of the Wolf? My wife had a muzzleloader elk tag and I’m afraid of her getting thumped by a hot load and heavy bullet. Especially being that the wolf is such a light weight gun. I did remove the recoil pad added about 2lbs of weight inside the stock and put a limb saver pad on it but I haven’t had a chance to shoot it and see if it helped reduce recoil

Im getting 2.9 inch group at 190 yards with my cva optima v2 wich is plenty good for me. Im using a 250 grain hornady mono flex ml. And im shooting 3 hodgdon pyrodex pellets. And i have a leupold scope on it that almost costs as much as the gun. My 350 dollar gun shoots more accurate than my uncles more expensive Tc encore.

Last edited:
It whollops the shoulder a little bit though. So if you only put 2 pellets in it wouldnt kick as much and still probably be pretty accurate.

Laramie

WKR
Another vote for a CVA wolf. I bought one last year and it shoots well.

Can any of you muzzleloader guys recommend a light recoil load with Blackhorn 209 that would work for elk out of the Wolf? My wife had a muzzleloader elk tag and I’m afraid of her getting thumped by a hot load and heavy bullet. Especially being that the wolf is such a light weight gun. I did remove the recoil pad added about 2lbs of weight inside the stock and put a limb saver pad on it but I haven’t had a chance to shoot it and see if it helped reduce recoil
Have her practice with 50 grains of powder but load it hot for the actual hunt. She won't notice the recoil when shooting at an elk.

OP
Steadman

Steadman

WKR
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. And Laramie thank you for the offer, sent you a pm.

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
Whichever you choose be sure it can shoot Blackhorn 209. All newer guns should but has to do with breech plug design.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I vote for T/C Impact. Cheap and have adjustable length of pull. I have 2 of them and like them both very much. Decent triggers too.
You can’t beat Laramie’s offer though, if that works out.