Deciding b/w QAD Exodus & Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts for elk this year

Can someone school me up on broadhead grain weight please? Why does one choose a 100 grain over a 125 grain or vice versa? I’m shooting a Hoyt RX3 pulling 63 pounds and using Easton Full Metal Jackets. My practice tips are 100 grain, so if my bow is dialed with my practice tips at 100 grain, should I get 100 grain broadheads to have best chance at them flying similar? Is a 100 grain less effective on a big animal like an elk vs a 125grain? I’m torn between the QAD Exodus and the Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts, but also wondering what grain to get them in. Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
The big difference between 100 and 125 grain broadheads is the FOC of the arrow and total arrow weight. A lot of questions would need to be answered before being able to say whether you would be better off with 125s or 100s.Draw length, arrow length, etc. Personally I believe it’s better to be on the heavier end of the spectrum for elk, but you should also be sighted in with the same field point grain weights as what you plan on hunting with. 25 grains can make a big difference in arrow drop, especially at distance.

marktole

WKR
I have had a QAD exodus and a Magnus stinger buzzcut both pass through an elk at 40+ yards with a total arrow weight of ~460 grains doing 290 fps on a chrono.

If you’re shooting FMJs you’re probably at that weight or more and the RX-3 IBO of 340 fps (or whatever it is, that’s ballpark) means you will have plenty of KE and momentum to pass through elk with good shot placement. Either of those broadheads is a good choice in my experience.

TheCougar

WKR
There’s a lot to unpack in your question, and we would need a lot more information. At this late in the game, I wouldn’t mess with your set up. Just get 100gr exodus and be done with it. I prefer the swept blades, in states where they are legal.

Wellsdw

WKR
Agree with everyone that said it was too late to switch weights. I just went to a shop the other day to “test drive” broadheads. My shop is great in that he has a box of about a dozen heads to try. Qad fulls, magnus stingers, black hornet, and g5 v2 all shot excellent @ 60. A few others didn’t fly as good. The owner recommended though that guys this year in particular need to choose multiple acceptable options because his supply chain is completely wrecked. And he was unsure besides g5 (he has a direct line somehow) what he would have/be able to get and when it would come in.

OP
H
The big difference between 100 and 125 grain broadheads is the FOC of the arrow and total arrow weight. A lot of questions would need to be answered before being able to say whether you would be better off with 125s or 100s.Draw length, arrow length, etc. Personally I believe it’s better to be on the heavier end of the spectrum for elk, but you should also be sighted in with the same field point grain weights as what you plan on hunting with. 25 grains can make a big difference in arrow drop, especially at distance.

Great info! Thank you for the advice

OP
H
I have had a QAD exodus and a Magnus stinger buzzcut both pass through an elk at 40+ yards with a total arrow weight of ~460 grains doing 290 fps on a chrono.

If you’re shooting FMJs you’re probably at that weight or more and the RX-3 IBO of 340 fps (or whatever it is, that’s ballpark) means you will have plenty of KE and momentum to pass through elk with good shot placement. Either of those broadheads is a good choice in my experience.

OP
H
Agree with everyone that said it was too late to switch weights. I just went to a shop the other day to “test drive” broadheads. My shop is great in that he has a box of about a dozen heads to try. Qad fulls, magnus stingers, black hornet, and g5 v2 all shot excellent @ 60. A few others didn’t fly as good. The owner recommended though that guys this year in particular need to choose multiple acceptable options because his supply chain is completely wrecked. And he was unsure besides g5 (he has a direct line somehow) what he would have/be able to get and when it would come in.

OP
H

Exodus swept head saved me. I shoot a moose at a hard quartering shot and only got one lung (almost got both, was off less than 3/4") and the head buried itself in the shoulder joint. The moose stood there for a bit before going down, then stood up three more times but was unable to move. It expired after about five minutes right there. It tried to get away but the broadhead in the joint prevented that, it was buried so deep in the bone even the butcher couldn't remove it.

SDHNTR

WKR
No one has brought up arrow spine... imo the most critical element to your tune. Sounds like you could use a basic understanding of arrow spine, otherwise you’d likely not be asking this question. If your shop has half a clue, you were surely set up to shoot 100 gr points for a reason, because that is what makes optimal spine for your arrow. In very simple terms, spine is the stiffness of your arrow. Put more weight up front and it will change the way your arrow flexes. You need to have a sufficiently stiff arrow to push a heavier point. So changing to a 125 is likely not a good idea, at least not without knowing more.

You didn’t take us through what arrow spine you currently have so it’s not possible to say if you could just switch points and have stiff enough spine to shoot the heavier ones well. But the point is moot now... If you want to change arrow set ups do it after the season. Too close to change and re tune now, imo.

Yes there are some technical advantages to a heavier point weight, but we are talking minimal. Not much real world advantage. As for which brand, they are both good. Either will do the job just fine. Pick the one you shoot most accurately. Worry more about putting your arrow in the right place!

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
My take on those two. If you are the kind that worries about “ warranties” and if ( not if but when) you damage or brake a blade ferrel or anything and are going to want it replaced, magnus. They will replace your broadhead no matter what you do to it, on purpose or not. If you want a supper tough get it done, you damage the blades and buy replacements, then screw it back on and keep stacking animals, exodus. Durability goes to exodus by a long shot , but you damage one, toss it replace it ( pretty hard to do though). If you want one replaced under warranty because it broke, blades are dull ( you don’t want to resharpen it) ferrel brakes , ( and of course these are going to happen) magnus. My personal choice, exodus, by a long shot.

Stalker69

WKR
Here is an example of using a broad head that many will use the “ warranty “ only thing is sometimes it can cost you an animal. This is from the moose section here.

strousek

JoinedSep 28, 2017Messages9LocationColorado
I shot a shiras in CO last year with a Magnus Black Hornet twice. First shot at 20 yards he was slightly quartered away. Broadhead hit a rib square in front of the heart and broke the ferrule and the blades slid straight up the rib cage under his shoulder blade. Bull ran 20 yards and stopped. Second arrow hit the should blade square on and that braodhead broke in the exact same spot offering no penetration. We had to track and be patient on this bull for 3 days. Finally on day four I put a Muzzy through the lungs and he went 20 yards and fell over dead. The Magnus ferrules are not solid on both sides of the blade. I love them for deer but would never shoot one again at bigger game. IMO after 4 days of agony shoot a 100% solid ferrule broadhead like a Cutthroat. Picture of the broadhead in the shoulder broken off at the end of the blades.

Last edited:

Swampwise

FNG
My experience with the QAD exodus swept 125grain is they go down quick and they fly great. Leaves a nasty hole. My experience with Magnus stingers is they don't run like off like crazy, kinda like they're confused and fly great, a lot less reaction than the exodus.The holes aren't as big but work great. If I could only have one i'd go with exodus. I have both in my quiver though.