Decision between Reckoning and Fulcrum

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I went back and forth between the 2 a few years ago and went with the fulcrum, I'm glad I did, the reckoning just dosen't do much for me and it dosent do anyting the fulcrum won't do. I dont like compressing the pockets, it just makes it more difficult to access them if needed. I'm also a huge fan of the center zip, make it really easy to get stuff out when the back is fully loaded, especially if you organize in a way where the things you might want are near the zipper.

The fulcrum in my opinion excels at everything, its a great huge pack for when you really want to carry gear but it also works really as a nice day hunting pack, it dosent flop around at all in day mode.

But for me the bottom line is: I can make a big pack smaller, but I cant make a small pack bigger.

I went back and forth between the 2 a few years ago and went with the fulcrum, I'm glad I did, the reckoning just dosen't do much for me and it dosent do anyting the fulcrum won't do. I dont like compressing the pockets, it just makes it more difficult to access them if needed. I'm also a huge fan of the center zip, make it really easy to get stuff out when the back is fully loaded, especially if you organize in a way where the things you might want are near the zipper.

The fulcrum in my opinion excels at everything, its a great huge pack for when you really want to carry gear but it also works really as a nice day hunting pack, it dosent flop around at all in day mode.

But for me the bottom line is: I can make a big pack smaller, but I cant make a small pack bigger.

Have any pics of it fully loaded?

For me the fulcrum is the best hunting pack I have ever owned. Very versatile. Adequate for week-plus backcountry hunts.

JMDavies

WKR
I have a Fulcrum and a buddy of mine has the Reckoning. I really like the way the Fulcrum folds down to an 1800.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
For carrying a rifle I do like the fulcrum over the reckoning. Because the wings fold over the scope/action. For compressibility I think the Reckoning has an edge for size, but it’s pretty close. They are both awesome for day loads. If I could only have one I’d do the fulcrum... but the reckoning is awesome if a 5k cubic inch pack would be good for all of your trips. Those two are the only two I’ve never considered selling.

8f9b01d17007646095fe9a9ceec6e473.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleetwood

Lil-Rokslider
For carrying a rifle I do like the fulcrum over the reckoning. Because the wings fold over the scope/action. For compressibility I think the Reckoning has an edge for size, but it’s pretty close. They are both awesome for day loads. If I could only have one I’d do the fulcrum... but the reckoning is awesome if a 5k cubic inch pack would be good for all of your trips. Those two are the only two I’ve never considered selling.

Hey Jordan - love all the detailed videos you've put together on both the Reckoning and the Fulcrum. Thank you. I'm struggling to make a final decision between the two but I've noticed in most cases, you'd go with the Fulcrum. I had my mind made up on getting one until I started overanalyzing everything and learned that Aron recommends the Reckoning over the Fulcrum. I just saw on the Kifaru insiders FB page, he even said "don't get the fulcrum" Any idea where he's coming from? I thought he was a fan of using the main bag for meat packing as you can prevent the weight from sagging to the bottom of the pack vs using a meat shelf?

I was leaning toward the fulcrum over the reckoning because I already have a stryker and camp bag and was thinking it might be good to have something for longer trips. I like how the wings fold together and with a grab it, I imagine it would be super easy to strap literally anything in between/under the wings...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Fulcrum for its versatility. I wanted one pack and I found it.

oldhorse

WKR
I have both the Reckoning and the Fulcrum. They are both great bags, but if I could only have one, it would be the Fulcrum. In my opinion it is more versatile.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Jordan - love all the detailed videos you've put together on both the Reckoning and the Fulcrum. Thank you. I'm struggling to make a final decision between the two but I've noticed in most cases, you'd go with the Fulcrum. I had my mind made up on getting one until I started overanalyzing everything and learned that Aron recommends the Reckoning over the Fulcrum. I just saw on the Kifaru insiders FB page, he even said "don't get the fulcrum" Any idea where he's coming from? I thought he was a fan of using the main bag for meat packing as you can prevent the weight from sagging to the bottom of the pack vs using a meat shelf?

I was leaning toward the fulcrum over the reckoning because I already have a stryker and camp bag and was thinking it might be good to have something for longer trips. I like how the wings fold together and with a grab it, I imagine it would be super easy to strap literally anything in between/under the wings...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I really have no idea why he says not to buy it... in my opinion it’s the most versatile of the two. I think if anything it’s because it can get “strappy”.... but really if you don’t run the compression straps around the main bag in day mode then there’s only 3 straps. And if you take an extra minute to roll the straps up with the keepers then there’s not any extra strap flying around.

The Fulcrum collapses pretty well, I think the reckoning wins collapsed size just because the overall size but the fulcrum isn’t far behind and can get larger. I just believe more versatile for me.

BoneDoc

FNG
I have a fulcrum. It’s bulky when you are running it in day mode. But can carry a huge amount of weight. Great bag.

If you were to choose just one pack for bowhunting that would most often be used for 1-3 nights and up to 5 nighst/6 days what Kifaru pack would you recommend? I am leaning reckoning while it seems the consensus is the 44 mag. Since I have no experience with either I am looking for others experience.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a fulcrum and absolutely love it. Got it early spring last year. I told Aron my style of hunting and he recommended the fulcrum. It makes it way easier to access the spotter and tripod quickly. And when running in day mode I pack other crap in those pockets with them and it’s still easy to take them out. The center zip is also awesome!

I like the larger capacity because I backpack with the wife and 2.5 year old. I have to pack lottttts of gear for that.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you were to choose just one pack for bowhunting that would most often be used for 1-3 nights and up to 5 nighst/6 days what Kifaru pack would you recommend? I am leaning reckoning while it seems the consensus is the 44 mag. Since I have no experience with either I am looking for others experience.

The Reckoning would serve that purpose well. I like the reckonings layout more than the 44.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Another happy Fulcrum owner here! That thing is a beast! I am amazed at how much gear I can cram in it when necessary and then how nicely it packs down for day mode. There is a slight learning curve with the strap management, but it's not difficult to figure out.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk