Decision time - Mossberg vs Weatherby

By the end of the day tomorrow I will be ordering one of these three guns to be my new turkey killer …

-Weatherby SA459 (12ga)
-Weatherby SA459 (20ga)
-Mossberg SA20

Let me know what your vote is, and why.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I know nothing about the 3 you listed, but have setup several turkey guns over the last few years. I only use Remington 870s and 1187s in 20ga. It’s very fun and rewarding. Good luck.

Last edited:

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Oddly enough, I couldn’t care less about shooting a turkey with a bow. Everything else I prefer a bow
I can’t help ya, as I’ve never shot the ones listed. But I’m in the same boat, have zero interest in shooting a turkey with anything other than a shotgun. Not sure why, just the way I feel.

elkguide

WKR
Vermont.
Birds are definitely still smart here but I agree with the statement that "if a turkey could smell, they would rarely be killed." That being said, I've killed enough with a shotgun that now I enjoy using archery equipment more. Definitely more of a challenge and thrill for me.

bradb

WKR
I use a Weatherby SA-08 youth the most of any of my guns, probably 95%. I set it up for our youth hunt and taking kids and love the gun. Have several friends that have since done the same.
I have shot 8-10 with a bow, but MUCH prefer sitting against a tree with a shot gun

N2TRKYS

WKR
Personally, I’d get whichever one offered the shortest barrel. I’ve really come to love 21” barrels.
6564EE66-7408-4A16-B9DA-7BF93BA7E8BA.jpeg