Decisions of a 23 year old/2019 Hunts

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
Finishing up my last day at work today. This company has been nothing but great to me and I am really appreciative of that. BUT I am looking forward to a few weeks of non-stop turkey hunting, fishing with my retired dad, and packing up for the move.

Tod osier

WKR
Finishing up my last day at work today. This company has been nothing but great to me and I am really appreciative of that. BUT I am looking forward to a few weeks of non-stop turkey hunting, fishing with my retired dad, and packing up for the move.

That is great, enjoy it! Nice job making the move and making your life what you want. Too few do.

As a 20 year old I'll give you my advice wether it's worth it or not haha. I got a job as a packer for a sheep, goat, and brown bear outfitter in Alaska right as I graduated high school. I am from Minnesota and I have been flying back and forth for the past two seasons and will be starting my third this year. I love doing it and I originally thought I'd do it for a year and then join the military, but I can't bring myself to quit. Seems crazy to stop getting paid to go hunt Dall sheep every year haha. The problem I am having is finding a good career without a college education that lets me work between long seasons in AK. By the sounds off it you have a good career setup already. If I was you I'd definitely move out west, and if you really want to have some fun get a gig in Alaska while living out west. Best of both worlds. Be warned though, guiding in Alaska conflicts with with a lot of other stuff in the lower 48, and many guides have told me that the divorce rate it fairly high for guides so keep that in mind.

I'd also appreciate any advice myself as I'm pretty green, and I am sure some people have some good insight around here.
Thanks!

Mike218, I am 64 yrs old and as I look back at my life and the choices I made one thing is very clear. The sooner you settle into a career where you can build your "financial status" the sooner you will reach your goals. With no college, and no military, choices for great paying jobs are very limited. I am sure you are having fun packing or you wouldn't keep going back. If you ever plan on having a family, a home and a retirement, you will most likely need a "real job" as a packer's pay won't get you there. The sooner you get going in that direction the better IMO. I am all for a person chasing their dreams and being happy doing what ever they do for a living. It mostly boils down to what you want out of life. I think cml5895 just made an awesome choice to chase his dreams WHILE ALSO advancing his career path.
You asked for advice so here is mine, get started building your career in what ever field you choose.

Mike218, I am 64 yrs old and as I look back at my life and the choices I made one thing is very clear. The sooner you settle into a career where you can build your "financial status" the sooner you will reach your goals. With no college, and no military, choices for great paying jobs are very limited. I am sure you are having fun packing or you wouldn't keep going back. If you ever plan on having a family, a home and a retirement, you will most likely need a "real job" as a packer's pay won't get you there. The sooner you get going in that direction the better IMO. I am all for a person chasing their dreams and being happy doing what ever they do for a living. It mostly boils down to what you want out of life. I think cml5895 just made an awesome choice to chase his dreams WHILE ALSO advancing his career path.
You asked for advice so here is mine, get started building your career in what ever field you choose.
Thanks for the insight I appreciate it! What your saying makes sense. Right now I am learning cabinetry as an apprentice and working on obtaining my pilots license. I am realizing that the time I'm spending as a packer (eventually a guide) is very enjoyable right now, but it's not setting me up financially for the future when my priorities change and want a family. Thanks for the food for thought.

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
Just a little update here for you guys. I am fully moved out to Northern Colorado and am loving it. My new job is going well and I think it is going to be a great fit for me for a long time. I have taken some great hikes in some awfully people-y areas and am going to be looking to find some more out of the way areas. I believe that I am going to pass on an elk tag this year as I will save the $680+ and spend much less next year as a resident. I will however most likely be doing weekend trips up to South Dakota and hunt archery mule deer. One of the best feelings is knowing that I am only a day trip away from some tremendous hunting, it is a great feeling. I just want to thank everyone again for their input in my situation. I eventually made my own choice and will be responsible for my own future out here. This first year I plan on just working my ass off, in order to be in a comfortable spot for next years hunting season.

Collin

Just a little update here for you guys. I am fully moved out to Northern Colorado and am loving it. My new job is going well and I think it is going to be a great fit for me for a long time. I have taken some great hikes in some awfully people-y areas and am going to be looking to find some more out of the way areas. I believe that I am going to pass on an elk tag this year as I will save the $680+ and spend much less next year as a resident. I will however most likely be doing weekend trips up to South Dakota and hunt archery mule deer. One of the best feelings is knowing that I am only a day trip away from some tremendous hunting, it is a great feeling. I just want to thank everyone again for their input in my situation. I eventually made my own choice and will be responsible for my own future out here. This first year I plan on just working my ass off, in order to be in a comfortable spot for next years hunting season.

Collin

Congrats. Scout during hunting season for next year. It’s the best time. Lots of guys scout in a season where animals are behaving differently than when they would be hunting them.

Kilboars

WKR
Sounds like you're doing something which is always better than nothing.

You're still young and if you put in 110% in whatever you do you will find many more offers coming your way.

My 2 cents is get a concrete view of where you want to be in 5-10-20-+ years from now and set a path. Have very clear goals and make them that last thing you think about each night as you lay in bed and the first thing you think of when you get up.

See yourself and where you want to be. Visualize yourself driving that truck or car and living in that home etc and make that your reality and except that it will be yours as long as you don'e quit.

Also, Don't tell anyone else about these dreams because it will never mean as much to them as it does to you.

The decision you make are what will make you.

This has been my life.

PS, hunting is great but strive to be the client and hunt the world.

KurtR

WKR

Collin

I dont know if the new regs go into affect this year but they are changing nr bow hunting alot here. I would not drive all the way from there to hunt here but thats just me. Congrats on the move

Welcome to Colorado! I am 23 also and moved out to Denver last August. I try to shoot a 3d course once a week and am always out and about! Feel free to message me if you ever want to join!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing is guaranteed. If I were you and your not stretching yourself too thin, I would be getting an elk tag. Should be able to get a bear tag for cheap also. If things are too thin for an elk tag get a bear tag. It will be a good excuse to get out there.

SWOHTR

WKR
Don't tell anyone else about these dreams because it will never mean as much to them as it does to you.

True. That, and you'll realize how little anyone listens to you. Which is a good and a bad thing. You can almost say whatever you want to people...they'll probably not remember. How many times have you had the same conversation with someone?

Highly recommend you buy an elk tag this year and just go. Just do it.

Azone

WKR
Buy the tag! Go hunt! You live there now, go spend all summer exploring and go find elk while your at it!
If your still single there was also an abundance of good looking women running around in yoga pants on the trails last time I was in Colorado, go scout those to!
If you want to save a little money get a cow tag instead of a bull. Or at least go scout during hunting season and learn how the animals are responding to pressure. Have fun and enjoy it!

Kilboars

WKR
True. That, and you'll realize how little anyone listens to you. Which is a good and a bad thing. You can almost say whatever you want to people...they'll probably not remember. How many times have you had the same conversation with someone?

Highly recommend you buy an elk tag this year and just go. Just do it.

Well, they call them “dream stealers”. Many times they’ll just but your ideas down or true to diminish them.
Keep them to yourself and wait for others to tell you what a success you turned out to be or how great you look from getting into shape.

But yes. Most people are really thinking about what they can say next about themselves rather than listening to what your saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
Excellent, well considered and mature decisions.
Congratulations on your new home and new path!

JL

Collin